Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,805 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a home in PBC, price range $450-$550k, in a neighborhood anywhere from Boca - Wellington - WPB that will allow large dogs. I don't care if it's gated, I just would like a pool, a nice view and a yard!

Any ideas? Even the realtors don't seem to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,379,510 times
there are a bunch of single family home communities that will a lot about a dog like that. the condos are where you might have a problem

Old 03-05-2013, 04:00 PM

I'm having trouble finding any communities that will allow a dog over 50 lbs - my golden weights 85

Old 03-05-2013, 04:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,379,510 times
I direct messaged you a few communities that should work.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM

Skylinet -

Only one of the dogs is 85 lbs, the other two are small.

I couldn't send you a private message, apparently I'm only allowed one a day on this forum!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 41,687 times
Default No size restrictions in the GL communties of West Boynton Beach

I live in one of the GL Canyon communities in West Boynton Beach, there are 4 and you can get a brand new home in that price range. The newer communities with new homes are Canyon Springs & Canyon Trails, there is also a 55+ community, Valencia (Florida Homes for Sale - Florida Real Estate - GL Homes). The older are Canyon Isles and Canyon Lakes. I would recommend Isles over Lakes since lakes is the oldest and has a lot of renters.

We have a 60ish pound 1+ yr. old dog and there are lots of dogs in the communities. I have seen many golden retrievers in the area, I believe there are at least 2-3 on my block. I've also seen GRs on the trail on Lyons Rd. where people exercise and walk their dogs. I know my community has breed restrictions against pit bulls, German Shepard and such but I still see that type of dog around here so as long as they don't give anyone problems no one bothers anyone. The only incident I know of involving a dog was a noise complaint because our old neighbor (they moved) would leave their hound dog out all hours of the night and he would howl really loudly.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 29,692 times
It is not very dog friendly in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, etc. I use to live in Boca, it is a horrible place if you have a dog, lots of dog haters in Boca. West Palm Beach not as bad. All south Florida beaches do not allow dogs at all.

Basically south Florida is just too hot for a Golden. We have a Golden and we use to live in south Florida so we know.

Maybe Jupiter FL. They have a mile of dog friendly beach but the new yorkers in the condos overlooking the Jupiter beach, who come to florida hate dogs and try to petition to close the beach to dogs. Even though the locals love dogs, they come to Florida and try to change everything the new york way.

With a big dog like a Golden. You should try St Augustine Florida. St Augustine Beach and Crescent Beach have about 10 miles of leashed dog friendly beaches. Must bring your own poop bags and water.

Lots of nice newer homes and get more for your money here then in south Florida.

I also read on the forums here that Amelia Island Florida has dog friendly beaches, and in the pan handle St George Island Florida has dog friendly beaches and Cape San Blas Florida has dog friendly beaches. But thats it.

Most of Florida does not allow dogs on the beaches. Most HOA Home Owners Associations have limits on big dogs or can change the law and make you get rid of your dog or move out asap.

If you have a dog, only buy a home in a non HOA community in Florida.

More dog friendly info for Florida at DogSTARspace.com

Hope this helps. Florida is not a very dog friendly state. The Florida state parks use to not allow dogs, but since dog owners are tax payers that finally got together to get Florida state parks open to leashed dogs and require you bring your own waste bags to pick up all your own poop.

Look for local dog walking groups or dog hiking groups to get to know others in the area with dogs.

Let us know on the boards here where you find a place to share with your Golden Retriever dog.

Remember, Goldens get hot quickly so always bring refrigerated cold water everywhere with you. We use the 1 gallon wide cooler jug and keep a gallon of cold water in the fridge, to fill up the cooler any time we take our Golden with us.

Another tip, do not walk you dog on the hot pavement during the day, it can quickly burn paws. Walk the dog on the grass.

We plan to leave Florida soon looking for a more dog friendly state.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:51 PM

166 posts, read 382,675 times
It is extremely rare for a single family neighborhood to have any domestic pet restrictions, I've never experienced one that would have a restriction for a golden retriever. We have a few cities that disallow dangerous breeds but not where you are looking. Are you sure you spoke to a Realtor that has been in business for awhile ? You can go on Trulia.com, use the Find An Agent feature, plug in the city you are interested in, and the top Realtors will appear. You can read their profile and their recommendations from past clients.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 PM

981 posts, read 890,618 times
Storagelady, there are several non gated communities in Delray that will have bigger yards and of course no breed restriction. lake ida (west of swinton) and del ida historic (close to swinton on east side between ne 4th and 11th. most of the yards are fenced with 5-6 foot posts, perfect for golden. we live in the area, got a very nicely sized lot with fence perfect for our 80 lb greyhounds. walking distance to town and beach too. you can find something in that price range, might need a little reno though as many houses r historic. my husband and i went this route so we wouldnt have to worry about HOA restrictions. we still have quite a bit of work to do on our home but at least we are free to do as we please

Old 10-08-2013, 01:14 AM

7 posts, read 8,519 times
I found the dog/beach situation terrible in most of the state. I didn't want to go to a dog park when I lived on a beach.
I own 6 dogs including a 120 lb Newfoundland, a pit bull, a 70 lb mutt, and three 20 lb dogs.
I ended up buying a house on St George Island. Pretty 'off the beaten track' but dog heaven.
Dogs are allowed on all the beaches (except in the State Park) and off leash if under voice command.
I took 2 of my dogs to the closing on my house and they sat under the attorney's table quietly until the Golden Retriever came in for his house closing.
Almost all restaurants with outside seating allow dogs. Last night at dinner I saw 6 dogs at the beach front restaurant.
My dogs are family and I love beach walks with them. I couldn't live in an area where they were not welcome.
Good luck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach