Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,425 times

Advertisements

We need some advice, pronto!
We are a young (mid 30's) married couple, no kids yet but working on it, moving to Boca from SoCal.

What I love about where we live now is the feeling of a small, tight knit community, everybody knows everybody, helps each other, is involved in the community (festivals and business promotion and holidays, etc). We are in a very small and cute little beach town, so everyone walks and rides bikes everywhere, to shops, restaurants, work even. There are lots of things to do very close by, hiking, biking, boating, movies, live music venues, restaurants and bars with live bands as well, shopping, etc.

We are moving to be closer to my family, who live in Boca, and so I can work with the family biz, also in Boca on Federal near Yamato/Glades.
We are active, play tennis, and are hoping to get back into sailing upon hitting the warmer water, on top of enjoying all the fun things I mentioned above.

We don't really feel the need to live in a country club community, though we are open to it 9if the house is priced right to make that more affordable), but I don't need to spend 50k to join a club just to use the gym, pool and tennis courts. I do, however, like the idea of a gated community (hopefully with lower HOA's), for safety but also for the possibility of making friends and being social... everything in FL seems so spread out to me. I would love to be able to walk to places like downtown Palmetto Park, Mizner Park, downtown Delray (we got married at Old School Sq and Dada's), but I didn't see any "younger" communities close to those areas, and the ungated houses seem to be a mix of mansions amidst some slightly shady and not so safe looking structures and areas. We don't have a ton of money to reno a place, and are looking in the 400k to 600k range max.

So what are some nice, low HOA communities with younger families and bonus points for being by the water?

Thanks so much for reading my super long appeal... just want to give as much info so I can get as much useful info back! Looking forward to being your newest transplant sometime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,381,047 times
What about a townhouse?
You can get a nice new townhouse a couple blocks to Downtown Delray and biking distance to the beach in your price point. Sounds like more towards the area you are describing.
Library Commons in Boca would put you very close to Mizner Park and you can get a new single family home for around 600k.

Both areas are very close to train tracks if that's an issue at all...

Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,425 times
Overall I think we really would prefer a free standing home for a bunch of reasons. We thought about townhouses (and I know the ones in Delray you're talking about... Beautiful and great location for sure... Minus those pesky trains, which are definitely an issue). The other thing is we really want at least a small yard for our already large and growing GS/lab-retriever puppy. Library commons had some really nice options as well, I didn't notice the distance to the train though, so yeah, that wouldn't work.
Thanks so much for getting back to me though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach