Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 42,493 times

Advertisements

I've posted before on my questions about moving to FL. Our discussions on whether moving to FL is best for our family or not continues. My husband is interviewing in 2 weeks in Fort Lauderdale for a position there. We are looking to move to either Parkland, Wellington or Weston but don't know the areas too much - what is the main thing that separates these similar areas? We will be staying with family in West Palm Beach. My brother just closed on a place in Boca - so I'm thinking a move would be good. We are currently in CT and the schools in our town are excellent. I fear for a decrease in standard in schooling if we move down to FL - that has been the first thing everyone tells us - to not have the same expectations, A rated or not. Can anyone speak to this? Another question -- in the public school system here, if a child needs special services (OT, Speech therapy etc), they are offered and very much a part of schools here. What is the scene down there on this issue?

We will be there in 2 weeks for only a few days and I am doing my research now of what areas to focus on, what to look at. Are there specific schools that I can visit in Parkland? Someone suggested Heron Bay to us? I am also looking for resources for young kids - play areas -- I have a list so far of Boca play station, latte fun, monkey joes, playtown cafe. Other than lion country safari, are there any other must see or must do things for kids? ages 4 and 3.

We were looking at the Bridges complex in Boca/delray. How is Toll Brothers as a comparable builder? Just as good quality? pretty much the same? Any other areas other than the canyons in Boynton beach anyone would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,129,096 times
The main thing that separates Parkland, Wellington and Weston, IMHO, is location -- Parkland is in the northwest part of Broward County, Wellington more central, and is just due west of WPB in Palm Beach County, (a totally different county) and Weston is also more central and is just due west of Fort Lauderdale in Broward County. I live in Weston, but I don't have children, so I can't address your concerns regarding schools. I do hear very good things about the schools in Weston from my neighbors who have children -- and if you search this forum, (Palm Beach) and the Broward County section, you'll find that people who live in Wellington and Parkland also generally are satisfied. I don't think I ever heard of someone deciding to move in or out of any of the 3 cities you're researching because of the schools. They are so evenly matched. These cities also share the same image -- all considered upscale -- neighborhoods -- all have apts./townhomes/SFH/mansions -- and proximity to fine shopping, dining and entertainment -- and each of those cities are thought of as family-friendly.

What does your husband think of commuting? Depending on where your husband's job prospects are in Broward, I don't think he'll be happy with the commute from Wellington. My husband's Ft.L office closed and he is now commuting from Weston to WPB and he's not thrilled at all. Why put those miles on your car, pay to be constantly filling your tank, deal with extra wear and tear, if you can live closer in Broward? IMHO, Parkland, or Weston, would be better choices because they are in Broward.

As for Heron Bay, the name of one of the elementary schools that feeds into Parkland is Heron Heights Elementary (Heron Bay is the name of a beautiful, large gated community in Parkland -- probably Parkland's largest). It's my impression that all the schools in Parkland are evenly matched.

As for Toll Brother, IMHO, it has a fine reputation -- it is known as a builder of luxury homes. From the posts on the forum, the area in Boynton that has The Canyons and nearby developments are located is very nice that is west Boynton -- however, it seems that east Boynton is not so nice. It's my impression that although the Bridges is a beautiful complex in Delray, that the schools it feeds into are not rated as highly (as those in Wellngton, Parkland and Weston). Others can chime in and confirm that (or not).

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,580,560 times
I would not suggest a commute from Wellington to anyplace south of Deerfield unless you have no choice which is often the case for many. If the job is concrete being in central to south Broward, I would suggest to look at living in the South PB county area....or in Broward itself.

The commute will get old really fast, then figure $4.00/gallon gas from Wellington approx. 100 miles a day round trip, 2 hours+ round trip, up to $16/day in tolls (if you take the FL Turnpike and Sawgrass Expy if the job is in the Sunrise area)...so to add it up...that's 26,000 miles/year on your odometer, 480 hours/year sitting in your car.. to put it into perspective that's equivalent to sitting in your car for 20 days straight....not to mention you have to leave early and get home late..which cuts into free/family time. Again, some people are left with no choice, but I suggest you really weigh it out.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,386,579 times
Just a heads up GL builds The Bridges, not Toll. Toll has Azura in Boca and Wellington View in the Wellington area.
Both build quality homes and great communities. GL was one of the few builders who helped remediate his homes that had Chinese drywall.

Wellington would be a haul to Fort Lauderdale on a regular basis.

Heron Bay is nice in Parkland, it's a very large community and there were lots of distressed sales/and chinese drywall, but it is turning around nicely now so you can get a pretty good value for the area.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 42,493 times
these are all very helpful responses. thank u very much!!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,728,917 times
Something everyone who now live in the western sections of Broward and especially Palm Beach county, already know what anyone moving down here should realize is; that traveling east west is the time consumer. North South moves quite quickly.

Example. I live a mile north of the city of Royal Palm Beach. My sister lives in Pompano not far from I-95. It takes me as long to go (east), to I-95 from my house as it does to get to her place(south), once on I-95. Yes the Fla. Turnpike is closer to me, but way west of where my sister lives, thus taking even longer.

South Fla. is spread out when compared to the Northeast. Get's some getting used to. But nothing like trying to get to DC or NYC from he outlaying county's.

@Fohi2008
Yes the schools in CT are probably the best when compared to any other location.(my children both raised their family's in CT.)

South Florida is very ethnically mixed. The schools have to consider that when setting up guidelines. Every child deserves to be treated fairly no matter where their family comes from.(Speaking as a person who's parents immigrated here from Canada.)

That said, if schooling is very high on your list, and you can afford Weston, Parkland, or any of the upscale areas, you should be mindful that Private Schools offer a better education than public schools. Your child's education should be of a greater concern than living with the Jones neighbors.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,580,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Something everyone who now live in the western sections of Broward and especially Palm Beach county, already know what anyone moving down here should realize is; that traveling east west is the time consumer. North South moves quite quickly.

Example. I live a mile north of the city of Royal Palm Beach. My sister lives in Pompano not far from I-95. It takes me as long to go (east), to I-95 from my house as it does to get to her place(south), once on I-95. Yes the Fla. Turnpike is closer to me, but way west of where my sister lives, thus taking even longer.
There really is no recourse for us that live out west, but since they redid Southern I can get downtown and to 95 a lot faster, during rush hour it's still quite congested. I work in Palm Beach Gardens near 95 and it's less expensive to take the turnpike than it is to drive the extra miles to get on 95 when you weigh it all out. When school is out it's a lot quicker drive. School zones are a plenty down here, seems like there is one on every corner.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,728,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
There really is no recourse for us that live out west, but since they redid Southern I can get downtown and to 95 a lot faster, during rush hour it's still quite congested. I work in Palm Beach Gardens near 95 and it's less expensive to take the turnpike than it is to drive the extra miles to get on 95 when you weigh it all out. When school is out it's a lot quicker drive. School zones are a plenty down here, seems like there is one on every corner.
Actually for us two things made our east west traveling improve, they were Southern as you mentioned and the crash of 08 where so many people left town for work elsewhere. Getting around is really easier now than before 08.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,279 times
I am only going to speak to the issue of schools, being that I moved from CT to S. Florida, then back to CT. The schools are for the most part worlds apart, so prepare yourself. I don't just mean the academics. In fact, when my littlest one finished kindergarten in Pembroke Pines, he was actually a bit ahead of the kids here in CT (in a highly regarded district.) The differences come with everything else. In CT, we have Spanish in elementary school, band and orchestra, and gifted really means gifted. It doesn't mean kids who can do more work at a faster pace. Florida has good intentions that are not implemented correctly. There is minimal time for arts and music, but plenty of time for burn out test prep. There is often no teacher communication, nor does it seem to be expected. I always felt like I was swimming upstream in the charter school that has 1000s waiting to get in. Homework is heavy on little ones. School day is shortened to "pack up." St. of Florida mandated 90 minutes of PE a week and my kids were doing exercise videos in the classroom instead of being outside!! Really??!! Oh and did I mention the laundry list of school supplies they make you bring in? Stuff my older son would tell me just sat in cabinets, or came home with one or two pages used out of a composition book. Lots of bizarro stuff that would never be tolerated up north. I always felt that my kids were nothing but a number down there just to pass the FCAT. The kids are treated with individuality and accountability here. Class jobs, rewards, etc. The way it used to be. Hope this helps. I do miss the weather though!!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,154,244 times
e differences come with everything else. In CT, we have Spanish in elementary school, band and orchestra, and gifted really means gifted. It doesn't mean kids who can do more work at a faster pace. Florida has good intentions that are not implemented correctly. There is minimal time for arts and music, but plenty of time for burn out test prep. There is often no teacher communication, nor does it seem to be expected. I always felt like I was swimming upstream in the charter school that has 1000s waiting to get in. Homework is heavy on little ones. School day is shortened to "pack up." St. of Florida mandated 90 minutes of PE a week and my kids were doing exercise videos in the classroom instead of being outside!! Really??!! Oh and did I mention the laundry list of school supplies they make you bring in? Stuff my older son would tell me just sat in cabinets, or came home with one or two pages used out of a composition book. Lots of bizarro stuff that would never be tolerated up north. I always felt that my kids were nothing but a number down there just to pass the FCAT. The kids are treated with individuality and accountability here. Class jobs, rewards, etc.

Tolerated where? THE ABOVE IS OUR / WAS OUR NYC PUBLIC! Except they were 32+ kids in a room, on the floors, not a desk. IN 5TH GRADE. Supplies were $100 a more per child.

You have described almost to a "t" our nyc public school.

In Florida, we have orchestra/band and PE every day, and supplies were optional ( a few wipes and tissues). REcess is daily: OUTSIDE. In NY we had it once a week.

Last edited by 071402; 03-28-2013 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach