Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,577,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Yeah South Florida is "unique" in many ways. Doesn't have a lot of history, and the culture is a hodge podge from every other part of the country. It is only 60 years old basically. The difference that is shocking to folks from the crowded NE areas is that when development began SF had LOTS of space. So everything kinda grew haphazardly, all sprawled out instead of up(the reason you see no three story homes and cozy neighborhoods.), being confined by hills and valley's.

There was no planning in the early days, just build it and the retiree's will come. That has changed a lot. The retiree's are not moving down here like they did in the 70's-80's. Some moved here and then set about trying to make it like the place they come from, rather than excepting the area for what it is, and adjusting to it's pluses and minuses. After all we do have great weather most of the year, and we don't shovel our rain.

To put it very bluntly, you either adapt and love it, or you write hate south fla posts on City-Data.
"60 years"....you do know that's back to 1953? There is a lot in the history books prior to that date, try going back 100 years+.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,727,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
"60 years"....you do know that's back to 1953? There is a lot in the history books prior to that date, try going back 100 years+.
Sure the "pioneer days' go back that far. But REAL development didn't start till the late 50's when the land speculators started offering cheap land via TV to yankees for retirement. Red Buttons was a classic example. With his TV ad's for CV or was it KP I can't recall. The advent of AC started the 'building boom".

Prior to that, without AC not much happened down here. Sure PB got the wealthy during the winter, but that wasn't nothing like the soon to come invasion beginning in the 60's.

When I moved here there was nothing but vacant land west of Andrews Ave/Powerline Rd. (Broward County). State Rd-7 was a 2 lane death trap that only truckers used to haul freight. If you had a accident out there you were prolly dead before long.

There is very little left in south florida of the pioneers. Where are the ranchers and farmers now? All their land bought out by developers and speculators. And if they resisted selling, the crooked politicians would find some way to harass them till they gave in.

If I sound a tad bitter it is because I am. I liked the way it was in the 60's. I liked the folks who struggled to make it. They had character and integrity. Now all there is are a bunch of paper pushers. I'm not total a Luddite , I just saw a wonderful gentle culture wiped out by a bunch of invaders from the north that's all.

Last edited by gregm; 03-21-2013 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: fat fingers

Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,314,236 times
Quote:
Sure the "pioneer days' go back that far. But REAL development didn't start till the late 50's when the land speculators started offering cheap land via TV to yankees for retirement. Red Buttons was a classic example. With his TV ad's for CV or was it KP I can't recall. The advent of AC started the 'building boom".

Prior to that, without AC not much happened down here. Sure PB got the wealthy during the winter, but that wasn't nothing like the soon to come invasion beginning in the 60's.

When I moved here there was nothing but vacant land west of Andrews Ave/Powerline Rd. (Broward County). State Rd-7 was a 2 lane death trap that only truckers used to haul freight. If you had a accident out there you were prolly dead before long.

There is very little left in south florida of the pioneers. Where are the ranchers and farmers now? All their land bought out by developers and speculators. And if they resisted selling, the crooked politicians would find some way to harass them till they gave in.

If I sound a tad bitter it is because I am. I liked the way it was in the 60's. I liked the folks who struggled to make it. They had character and integrity. Now all there is are a bunch of paper pushers. I'm not total a Luddite , I just saw a wonderful gentle culture wiped out by a bunch of invaders from the north that's all.

My house is going on 70 years old... my neighbor's house is 90 years old!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,727,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
My house is going on 70 years old... my neighbor's house is 90 years old!
Just had to point that out didn't you.

And what % of the homes down here in PBC are that old? Huh? 1% maybe.

I acknowledged you and your older homes, but that is not the norm when you take the county in is total perspective.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,314,236 times
Quote:

I acknowledged you and your older homes, but that is not the norm when you take the county in is total perspective.

THAT old? Not sure, but there are significant stocks of homes in historic areas throughout the eastern parts of the county. A lot of history was actually knocked down.

Particularly West Palm Beach (probably has the largest stock of homes more than 60 years old); Lake Worth, Lake Park, and Delray Beach, and Palm Beach.

Nobody disputes that South Florida isn't a "newer in general" area than a lot of areas of the country, but the history is still there for those who care enough to venture out of the subdivision and strip malls.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:08 PM

6 posts, read 11,129 times
Just moved from Winter Park to Jupiter (Abacoa) and what a difference! The feeling of just being near the water is amazing, its a whole different vibe here. I used to commute to Disney (yes, worst in all aspects) and just about lost my mind, begged my spouse for a change. We have family here, so it made sense. If you're considering a move, DO IT! (If you haven't already!)

Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM

230 posts, read 341,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettWags View Post
Just moved from Winter Park to Jupiter (Abacoa) and what a difference! The feeling of just being near the water is amazing, its a whole different vibe here. I used to commute to Disney (yes, worst in all aspects) and just about lost my mind, begged my spouse for a change. We have family here, so it made sense. If you're considering a move, DO IT! (If you haven't already!)
This is a great move to make.

Moving from Orlando to West Palm I would not recommend though, unless you have a decent amount of money saved up, but even then there are better places in Palm Beach county I think. You would be better off in Jupiter, Wellington, Palm beach Gardens, or nearby Royal Palm. Boca Raton is great too, but I'm not sure if that is to far south for you.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 10-22-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,395,666 times
I have lived in Delray and the area for a long time. I plan to move to Central Florida , hopefully to some cheap little town where I can save up for frequent trips to NY, etc.
If you are of a creative bent, PBC has waaaaay toooo many rules and regulations as far as I'm concerned. No offense to people in rehab- if you want to meet those folks, Delray is the place!

I am an artist/writer and unless you can afford to live on Miami Beach and mingle with those folks, I'd say you're not going to find many exciting things here.

I just want to live in a peaceful place where I can create and then bring my wares elsewhere. I'd also like to be able to have a clothesline in my yard without getting fined (even thought the clothesline is not visible from outside the property-haha) Be really, really careful about the spiel of all these up and coming South Florida towns. They've been up and coming for years! Up and coming in price, anyway.

This may have absolutely nothing to do with what you're looking for. If you like the beach, you'll be happier here. I now of many people who left here for central Florida for better jobs. Have you ever considered Gainesville? What kind of culture are you looking for?

I tend to think Jupiter/Juno is the better deal as the above poster suggests. You're close to WP, and those are just nicer places to live. I'm not sure about other areas of Broward. I just think south Palm Beach is over. Jupiter is a really lovely place. There is even an older area where you can live on a mangrove estuary....the streets all have native American names. If I were going to stay in this area, that's what I would pick.

I've never thought of Central Florida as Disney lol. It just has so many beautiful places with huge trees and great places to kayak.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-22-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,395,666 times
Quote:

There are very few beautiful old trees here too-except in the parks and natural areas. Well, that might not be very important to most but it drives me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach