Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 PM

23 posts, read 37,115 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm seriously contemplating a move from Los Angeles to Lake Worth, or possibly one of the historic parts of West Palm. Not to belabor the "why's", but I've lived in LA and worked in the entertainment business for 15 years and I'm feeling fried on both. Like most Los Angelenos I have a love/hate relationship with the city, it's a great city but really feel it's time for a career and lifestyle change. I came upon Lake Worth a few ways, but a good friend of mine here grew up there, and my partner (yes could be another gay household Lake Worth!) has a friend there who moved from NYC a few years ago and loves it. He bought a couple of those great old Fla cottages and has fixed them up, lives in one, rents the other, the rent pays both mortgages and he's created a great life there. He has mentioned of course it can be a gritty place at times, and some of the threads here have me wondering just what kind of town I may be moving in to. I have lived for 9 years in a mixed part of LA, ethnically, economically, etc. and have never been a suburbanite so some things that bother others I won't mind at all. That said I wouldn't live in South LA either...I've also looked into some of the really great looking historic areas of West Palm, Flamingo Park, Northwood, etc, and the neighborhoods look really great but I think they might be a tad too sterile for me, perfect lawns, hedges, etc. If anyone knows LA the analogy would be it feels Westside, and we're more Eastside, lean more Boho than Boushie is another way to put it...but still a bit Boushie So that said we want a place with historic charm and some quirk, a place where people can do their own thing without the keeping up with Jonses be like everyone else pressure, without the rat race of LA, NYC etc, not bigoted (some people say "gay friendly", I'll say what that actually means), a beach close by, low-ish housing costs (we'll be renting, at least at first), walkable/bikeable, nice people open to newbies...you get the idea. Am I on the right track with Lake Worth? Is the crime and blight really as bad as some people on here say? My partners friend says no, east of Dixie for the most part is fine if you have some city street smarts, and that he feels totally safe, and that the blight has really diminished over the years he's been there. Another question, what's the hullabaloo with the municipal utilities, are they that bad? $400 a month electric bills in a tiny house, etc?

Really appreciate any thoughts/advice anyone might have. If your only input is "it's ghetto" I respect your opinion but no need to post it, I've read it enough already...

Thanks all and cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:26 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,323,382 times
I live in Flamingo Park and actually think it could use a bit MORE sterility! It's certainly no El Cid! In West Palm you might want to also check out Grandview Heights right next door (immediately north) to Flamingo Park, as it is a bit less further along the road towards revitalization. Nice stock of craftsman style homes and Florida bungalows there as well, and less expensive despite actually being closer to downtown.

Northwood is a whole 'nother ball game. Some of it is just gorgeous and charming... but go too far north or west and you're an urban pioneer and run into the bad part of West Palm.

Lake Worth has some great bargains right now... certainly cheaper than Flamingo Park... maybe on par with Northwood for rents. We have a lot of friends that call Lake Worth home. Generally in Lake Worth, stay north of downtown, and definitely east of Dixie Highway. It's definitely hit or miss in Lake Worth. I don't know about utilities but I've heard horror stories as well as people saying they have no idea where these horror stories come from. Perhaps the inconsistency is the scariest thing.

My own home in West Palm Beach with pool on FPL has a high of around $200/month in the summer, about $100 in winter. Hopefully even less once I get some hurricane windows in.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Appreciate that! Point taken re: West Palm, mind you I'm taking the Google Street View tour, never reliable...! I saw a listing for what looks like a great place on a totally cool street of old craftsmans and bungalows, directly below the Simon Museum, not sure of the actual neighborhood but I'll guess at Grandview. And I love the surrounding streets, looks nice, great taste without being foofy. West Palm also looks like a great place for me to set up what I hope to be my 2nd career, dealing retro, mid-century furniture and other goods. Seems to be a good marketplace. Both it and Lake Worth feel like viable options, actual mature, historic cities, albeit with what seem to be really differing flavors. Thanks again for your input!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 AM

Here's a map of the Historic Districts of West Palm:

Districts Maps | Historic Preservation

The neighborhood names in Lake Worth to look into are College Park, Parrot Cove and most of the rest of NE Lake Worth is considered "Eden Place" or something similar.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM

Way cool thanks again. Looking forward to an interesting new adventure there! Cheers

ps the place I saw was on Cranesnest, called the listing agent no call back so it was either rented already, or LA is not the only town with flakey realtors ... but looked like a great street and area. Is the beach (in Palm Beach) bikeable from that area (Simon Museum) over the bridge? Looks it...

Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideLA213 View Post
Way cool thanks again. Looking forward to an interesting new adventure there! Cheers

ps the place I saw was on Cranesnest, called the listing agent no call back so it was either rented already, or LA is not the only town with flakey realtors ... but looked like a great street and area. Is the beach (in Palm Beach) bikeable from that area (Simon Museum) over the bridge? Looks it...

TONS of flaky realtors here.

That area where Cranesnest is called is known as "Mango Promenade."

And yes, you can bike to the beach from there. Parking is super expensive on Palm Beach unless you know the side streets, so biking is a good option (cheaper beach parking at Lake Worth)... also great to bike along the "Lake Trail" on Palm Beach island:

Lake Trail - Palm Beach - Reviews of Lake Trail - TripAdvisor

(PS: If looking around the museum is the "Norton Museum"... the Norton Simon Museum is in California... some realtors may not know what you're talking about if you say the Simon Museum in WPB).

Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 AM

LOL I think West Palm was reminding me a bit of Pasadena, where the Norton Simon is...

Have a friend there checking out a place in Northwood, as well as N J St at 3rd and S 3rd at Federal in Lake Worth for me over the weekend, if anyone has thought about those...

Thanks much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach