Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 05:15 PM

368 posts, read 926,375 times

Advertisements

At long last, my son has been diagnosed with ADHD by a child psychologist (and Aspergers ruled out) and medication was recommended. His behavioral therapist recommended low dosage and continued therapy sessions but given how disastrous this year has been, we don't want to rely on medication alone and want to ensure that he has resources and support for the 1st grade next year. We were told by the school psychologist to add a 504 plan to his current IEP which is for the gifted program. Our problem is we have no idea how to write a 504 plan! We have tried several things at home including a reward system that has worked wonders for helping his low impulsive control but can we ask the school to implement the same thing?? If anyone has gone through this in PBC, any help would be much appreciated.

One of my relatives is very much against medication *and* the 504 plan because it labels him as "learning disabled" or simply "impaired" for the rest of his life but quite frankly, he's already been labeled as a troublemaker and extremely disruptive at school -- students complain on almost a daily basis that his rolling around on the carpet, or getting out of his seat to take a lap around the classroom is extremely distracting. What has been working at home has not at all translated to school...but I do understand where she's coming from in terms of his having to rely on medication for the rest of his life to focus in a school and perhaps work environment.

And there seem to be tons of ADHD medications out there - the pediatrician didn't particularly steer us in one direction or the other... We just know Ritalan isn't an option. We want something non-habit forming... if there is such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM

355 posts, read 909,943 times
We had a lot of success with "Attend" its homeopathic. I used to open the capsules and put in my daughter's morning OJ. This was about 10 years ago, my daughter has outgrown any attention/behavior problems and is an honors Junior in High School. Honestly I'd try that first before any pharma stimulants. Have you tested him for giftedness? Sometimes they are just really bored. Hang in there, I know its tough.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:20 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,302,038 times
My daughter had a 504 Plan since 3rd grade she is now in 7th and still has one...although she doesnt need it anymore they have been keeping it in place..Basically all it is, is it allows the student to take more time on testing and will or can be pulled out to do the test somewhere else so its not distracting him or her...That is really all it is designed for are the little Extra's they should need....it had been a god send for us but now she is doing so well in school and where she needs to be it isnt a big deal...good luck

Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 AM

368 posts, read 926,375 times
Hi, I will have to check "Attend" out. We are currently using Kids Calm liquid multivitamin and it seems to have helped. We ran out of it and were out for a day or two and I could definitely see a ramp-up in his hyperactive, impulsive behavior.

And yes, he is gifted and there was a big mismatch in personalities between him and his teacher so that didn't help. My concern is that his poor experience in kindergarten seems to have an effect on his motivation to learn. He's less motivated and now "hates math" when he used to love it because he can't figure out complex math problems as fast as a classmate does (900-456 is the example he gave me - granted this is him talking so this may not be true) but DH and I are concerned that he's lost a lot of "sharpness" between the end of VPK and now. We were wondering whether to pull him out of gifted so he doesn't feel so much pressure. As it is, our younger son who will be 4 this year may not test gifted and they'll have to attend different elementary schools if that's the case.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
My daughter, 8, was diagnosed a year and a half ago after a long evaluation with a PHD. I knew she had some type of issue since before Kindergarten. She is very smart and sweet but can't control herself and it was affecting how she interacted with peers and self esteem and ability to concentrate in school and learn. I wouldn't dismiss Ritalin based upon a relatives advice. They can sit on the sidelines and have opinions but it has been a lifesaver for us and her schooling. She is on 10 mg of Focalin XR and I see its like a switc--her on and off the meds and her ability to think clearly, be calm, have control, etc. Also, you are impacting the other students around your child if you don't get it under control it sounds like…Best of luck…its a daily challenge as the meds only cover the school day and not AM or PM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach