Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 PM

12 posts, read 18,765 times

Advertisements

We have been looking in this area. Its transitional. Some very nice new homes mixed in with older ranches (some nicer than others) Does anyone have any opinion on living in this area for a family with a young child. It could be a great investment if the area continues to have homes teared town and replaced. Was curious if anyone had any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM

17,084 posts, read 21,755,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemom View Post
We have been looking in this area. Its transitional. Some very nice new homes mixed in with older ranches (some nicer than others) Does anyone have any opinion on living in this area for a family with a young child. It could be a great investment if the area continues to have homes teared town and replaced. Was curious if anyone had any thoughts?

Lots are small and most of the original homes were build at an angle (like 45 degrees) which might make a new home (built parallel to the street, normal) look goofy on the block. Setbacks were odd there also (so 4K sq ft home might take up the whole lot, no pool etc). Some of those "new homes" are getting to be 15-20 years old so they may need some freshening by now.

Pros:
Good location, close to beach, boat ramp, shopping/restaurants

Cons:
Crappy elementary school zoning, block by block desirability (some streets have lots of dumpy homes), high cost of entry if you are rebuilding

Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,158,302 times
Default East Boca is about diversity and convenience

I have lived in east Boca for a few years and we love it. It's def a mix of all, which is something that is either a PRO or a CON. It was a PRO for us. I thought I had heard the elementary school was good, but my kids are older, so I didn't look into it.

More PROs- you can walk to the children's museum Boca Raton Children, the wonderful new library that will open shortly (and the current one a block away) Boca Raton Public Library - Expand Your Horizons!, the movie (iPic, but tow or three more under 5 miles away), a million places to eat, you can walk to the city skateboard park City of Boca Raton - Recreation Services , basketball courts, tennis courts.

All kinds of churches and a temple within walking distance. Mosques, a Baha'i group and more a mile or two away....

There is the Showtime Performing Arts Theater that has children's performances and theater camps within walking distance. Home - I even walk to my doctor and for a mani-pedi- LOL!

Lake Wyman Park City of Boca Raton - Recreation Services is a great park for kids near 20th & 5th Av. that would be an easy bike ride from anywhere in the neighborhood. Ditto two Publix, the post office, Mizner Park (Lord Taylor coming this year!) Mizner Park - Upscale Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in Boca Raton, Florida & Royal Palm Place Royal Palm Place and, of course, the beach. The beach at the end of Palmetto Park Road is incredible. There is a park with natural growth. (ie: SHADE!), picnic tables, even a webcam (although I've never actually seen my kids on the webcam when I check up on them. Maybe they are in the natural growth. ) Boca Raton South Beach Webcam

The amphitheater at Mizner Home | Mizner Park Amphitheater has a variety of events and concerts, a number of them for kids. I love that I can meet friends for an event, concert, drinks or dinner and we all walk there and back. There is a green market at Royal Palm Shops (though it's closing for the season now.) http://www.localharvest.org/boca-rat...n-market-M1173

I've seen a number of families with young kids. Prolly not as dense as some HOA neighborhoods, but that was a PRO for us, too. You'll meet the families with kids your age at school, neighborhood events, etc., so not so important to have a cul-de-sac full of kids each afternoon. (When my kids were younger and we did live on the cul-de-sac in an HOA, I wasn't thrilled about every kid hanging out there. So a lower density of kids lets you have more control over the kids your children are exposed to, IMO.)

There are a number of beautiful HOAs in central and west Boca for those who are seeking that lifestyle. But the vibe of east Boca is unique. I grew up in NE Broward and, without exception, everyone that has come to visit has commented that they never knew how cool it was in Boca.

We are also under 5 miles to the Tri-Rail... south Florida's best kept-secret.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 05-09-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach