Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM

12 posts, read 20,943 times

Advertisements

I have reached out to 2 recruiters and no response yet. I advised both I was looking for something in the 50K range. Is that unreasonable? I think that is why they have not found anything for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:34 PM

644 posts, read 1,477,958 times
Salaries in South Florida are lower than in many areas with comparable living expenses, and with an economy based on tourism, it's not a corporate mecca, so the competition for good-paying jobs will be pretty strong. I have heard other parts of Florida, like Tampa, have an underemployed and underpaid professional workforce also. I would probably broaden my search to other areas.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,408,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
Salaries in South Florida are lower than in many areas with comparable living expenses, and with an economy based on tourism, it's not a corporate mecca, so the competition for good-paying jobs will be pretty strong.
Well said

Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM

52 posts, read 73,001 times
so sorry you are in this situation, 35K +10 or so in commission sounds extremely low to me for a family of 3. Is there any way to get back to your old job without digging more into your savings. How much is it going to cost you to get back? you have a great degree, hard to believe you can't find a good job with all the right qualifications; can you find something in another field while you get your savings up again.
anyways I wish I could give you better advice, hope you find a job soon.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapbetCommissioner View Post
so sorry you are in this situation, 35K +10 or so in commission sounds extremely low to me for a family of 3. Is there any way to get back to your old job without digging more into your savings. How much is it going to cost you to get back? you have a great degree, hard to believe you can't find a good job with all the right qualifications; can you find something in another field while you get your savings up again.
anyways I wish I could give you better advice, hope you find a job soon.
Hi, my head is spinning! I also can not believe I can not find anything. I have had 2 phone interviews and 2 in person interviews since late last week. 2 have not gotten back. 1 offered 30-35K base and said I can make about 10K first year. Today I was offered something for 18K plus $75 for every deal I close. A friend who works there recommended me and says she's made 8 deals in one week. It is a brand new company. I am hoping this will get me by until I find something else. I was called about some recruitment agency who's hiring for customer service and technical support for like $8hr plus commission. It is insane.
When you ask if I can get back to my old job, do you mean the communications company?

Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM

644 posts, read 1,477,958 times
If you were living in NYC itself with a high rent or mortgage and NY taxes, you may actually do as well - or almost as well- in Florida on $45K as you did living in or near NYC on $80K.

A key thing will be not to overspend on housing. I would rent, not buy, until you have the job thing securely settled. This time of year there should be some rental housing out there in all price points. You may have to compromise and stay safe, but not focus on the more exclusive and expensive areas.

You could take the best job you're offered and keep feelers out for something better. Florida has a lot of long drives between cities, so until you are in a job you want to stay with, I would not buy a home, as the commute could be a killer.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 AM

23 posts, read 44,191 times
Keep trying to find that job. It's out there, just don't give up =). I've sent out so many resume before I got a job. =P

Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,314,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfl561 View Post
Keep trying to find that job. It's out there, just don't give up =). I've sent out so many resume before I got a job. =P
the Job isnt going to be the problem eventually unfortunately it will be her salary...My DH was in the Consulting business for alot of years, some of his friends in Florida are Account Managers and well market not so great and the Salary not so great

Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Exactly, not the problem is not getting job. It is the salary. I am starting a joob next week for 18K base plus commission next week just to get some money until I figure things out and find a better job or go north. Thanks for all the replies...at least I know it is just not me coming across these salary issues and/or bad opportunities.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,408,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just-wondering123 View Post
Exactly, not the problem is not getting job. It is the salary. at least I know it is just not me coming across these salary issues and/or bad opportunities.
This is it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach