Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 PM

12 posts, read 20,943 times

Advertisements

I am a NY-er now in S Florida.Was laid off from my NY job(fortune500 Co). Decided it was a good time to relocate with my kids since my parents were living over here.I am feeling as if it was a bad idea. I've realized it's hard to find good jobs with good pay&benefits.I am worried about me&my kids' future (retirement, education, vacations,etc).I have money to buy a house but no income to maintain. Should I go back to NY or stay in FL hoping I will get a decent job? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,771,572 times
I hope this is a "real" and not bait post. I will answer as if it is. I would not purchase a home in SFL if you have a corporate background. At worst find a city with more Fortune 500 corporate HQs (NY, NJ, Houston, Dallas, Minneapolis) and look at those location. Or in the alternative, find a job first. SFL can be a tough place to live especially with school aged children.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:38 PM

Hi, this is real. I am so confused!!! and so worried:-( Have you had a similar experience? I feel like I am being negative but the truth is I am digging into my savings at this point. It is beautiful in SFL but everything is so expensive and not enough pay. I am being offered 25K/30K less in pay. Now, does it really equal out after NY taxes, cost of living, etc. If you ask me I do not see how NY is 30K more a year to live...??!!!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM

I cannot speak for NY but I did leave SFL because of my career/cost of living/work-life balance. I do not regret it for a moment.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,312,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just-wondering123 View Post
Hi, this is real. I am so confused!!! and so worried:-( Have you had a similar experience? I feel like I am being negative but the truth is I am digging into my savings at this point. It is beautiful in SFL but everything is so expensive and not enough pay. I am being offered 25K/30K less in pay. Now, does it really equal out after NY taxes, cost of living, etc. If you ask me I do not see how NY is 30K more a year to live...??!!!
Your right ...With that said your not being negative, SFL is a difficult place if one doesn't have a nice paying Job because yes its expensive....We do plan to Return but this is where life took us at this point..Please do not run thru all of your savings because then you will be in a worse situation....If your at least getting Offers you should really consider them and maybe look for a less expensive place to live not sure what town you settled in we are in Boca Raton and Love it The No State Tax yes definitely makes some difference especially what the NYC Income Tax is quite high....We are from Brooklyn Originally and NY is very expensive, we lived in NJ for 10 years and our Cost of living was very high too..

We are leaving South Florida for a Chief Operating Officer/Partner position Since his company relocated Headquarters From Miami to Charlotte although he has been commuting back and forth from South Florida to Charlotte....Unfortunately for us, We are very sad to leave south florida as this is our home and our Happy Place, However an oppty like this one doesn't happen too frequently as my dh had been looking for a great oppty in South Florida with a nice salary he did find a few however this was the best oppty for his career and for our family at this point....anyway, Im sorry you think you made a mistake moving to Florida was one of our best decisions, My husband was making the same as up in NY and NC when we moved to Florida because of the no State Tax....with that said, if you can't find full time work in South Florida, maybe you should look into Consulting since this seems to be the Norm, Hubby's friend just found a job a few months ago after being out of work for 8 months he lives in South Florida as well and was fortunate to find a decent paying job and it is full time..South Florida Cost of Living is very similar to NYC/NJ except the property taxes are less in South Florida....You have to ask yourself, Will you be able to find a Good Paying job in NYC I know too many people that are still out of work or took a huge paycut to get back to work...Not many people can go back to NY once they leave with the cost of living...if you can then maybe you should consider going back...if not you can always look in NC there are alot of Jobs and metlife is moving HQ to south charlotte, and are interviewing for these positions as well as so many other companies that going there, the Economy is certainly Picking up there ...Anyway good luck to you and your family

Last edited by Swimmom32; 05-18-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,728,715 times
Quote:
You are being vague. Just what do you do? Banking, Insurance, collecting trash, what?

Plus only some things are more expensive here. Really nice homes in good neighborhoods with good schools are a plenty.

When you say 25/30k less, I ask less than what? What you were making in NYC? You should be able to live here easily if it's 30k less that 150/175k.

All that said, yes the most expensive parts of living here are Property tax and Insurance. But come on, what were you paying for a steak dinner in NYC?

I think your expectations are high. You will never make what you were in NYC.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 PM

319 posts, read 622,256 times
Quote:
I am a NY-er now in S Florida.Was laid off from my NY job(fortune500 Co). Decided it was a good time to relocate with my kids since my parents were living over here.I am feeling as if it was a bad idea. I've realized it's hard to find good jobs with good pay&benefits.I am worried about me&my kids' future (retirement, education, vacations,etc).I have money to buy a house but no income to maintain. Should I go back to NY or stay in FL hoping I will get a decent job? Please help!
South Florida's economy is based on tourism.

Buy a restaurant instead of a home. Once you have your business, buy a house.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
You are being vague. Just what do you do? Banking, Insurance, collecting trash, what?

I think your expectations are high. You will never make what you were in NYC.
But you will get a better or similar paying job in a city where housing is more affordable, schools are generally better, and jobs are more competitive. Even the things you dont think about - in SFL I usually waited an hour with a dr's appointment. Now I dont think I have waited more than 10 minutes in any doctors office in 4 years - that leads to my getting my health needs met in a more proactive manner v. dreading to have to go in and waiting.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 AM

I appreciate all the responses. I was making a base of 60k and 40k in commission at some point in NY. The least I had made in the last 10 years had been 80k. In SFL, they're offering me no more than 35k in base and I'm told average 10k in commission . I know not to expect anything close to the salary in NYC but to me the pay here is ridiculously low. I feel like eventually I will get a job but I keep thinking whatever job I get will only allow me to pay the essentials. I'm a single mom with no child support so That is why I must make a good decision that will allow me to take care of my family. I am in Delray beach/boca raton area. My kids are 9 and 16. I was an account executive back NY for a telecommunication company. Is it possible to live with 35 to 45k in this area and have a decent future?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,312,397 times
have you checked the Recruiting Firms for Account Manager Positions? I do know there were quiet a few as my dh has been management consulting for alot of years...Although in S Florida they don't pay Alot as they do some other parts of the country...Boca is expensive and Delray is not far behind these days as far as Affordability, maybe check a different area of S.Florida...45k with children is tough to live on in Florida but there are people who make it work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach