Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,580,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaBound123 View Post
Hey THX - thanks so much for the details and fresh perspective! It's so easy to become in love with the idea of moving to a new place and forget about the realities.

We've been researching and planning the move away from Cali for a couple of years now. Our older son is graduating and off to college this summer, so it's the perfect time to make the move.

We've definitely done our homework as far as career moves go. My husband is an attorney and I'm an engineer. If I chose to continue to work, I would have the option to work remotely and still keep my same salary, but I'm ready to try the 'stay-at-home' mom gig for a while My husband's area of business is wealth management and South Florida is a fabulous place for him to continue his work! We're very fortunate that we have the flexibility to work anywhere in the U.S. (and even overseas if we wanted to). We'll see how it goes. If we find we're not happy, we'll look elsewhere. If I find I don't like staying home, I have a huge network of contacts here in the bay area that I plan to continue to stay in touch with.

I can't lie, though, we're super excited to try a new place!
Just a few things to add, a lot of people also find that their children often cannot stay here after college because the job market is so bad in a lot of sectors or the pay is so poor, they cannot go out on their own and make it. I have co-workers who expressed this to me a few times and have friends who also had similar stories. One of my co-workers kids went to FAU in Boca Raton, got an Engineering degree and could not find a job here after graduation, all he could get is internships and not even a low paying entry level Engineering job. He ended up moving to Atlanta to get a job and is making a go at it since the cost of living is lower outside of the perimeter. I think he pays $800/month for a 2/2, something here which would cost $1400/month. Income taxes are 6% but he is making more than he would here.

If you can work remotely and keep up the same salary, then that's pretty much a given, do not see that as being normal in specific fields of Engineering though that require you to be onsite. I think that if things do not work out for you in your remote position, that you may find other opportunities here in Engineering to be extremely lacking, especially compared to the SF Bay Area. Be prepared for a serious pay cut too.

One of my co-workers is leaving for Charlotte, NC soon, has a big family and his wife doesn't work, full-time stay at home Mom, Mercedes-Benz driving, yoga pants wearing, Louis Vuitton Handbag type, just to put it into perspective..$$$.. He wasn't struggling here, but he really won't be struggling in Charlotte either, he was worried about his wife being happy not being close to the Gardens Mall, shopping and dining and etc....but it appears Charlotte has that and other things to keep her happy for now, even with the high income tax he will save a lot on cost of home ownership (taxes, property insurance and etc.) than living here. There is always factors that make it easier but in the end if your not making the money sooner or later the novelty wears off.

I see people who struggle and people who don't, a lot of it is luck and here I would say their is a high degree of nepotism and cronyism in the workplace. It's different here, very different mindset...maybe it's Sun poisoning, can't say? I know I am not the only one that noticed this, my old friend who is out in San Francisco told me the same thing years ago, said it's just not like that there that he does not miss that. He works with Stanford and UC Berkeley Grads and doesn't feel alienated not being a graduate of either school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,314,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaBound123 View Post
Hey THX - thanks so much for the details and fresh perspective! It's so easy to become in love with the idea of moving to a new place and forget about the realities.

We've been researching and planning the move away from Cali for a couple of years now. Our older son is graduating and off to college this summer, so it's the perfect time to make the move.

We've definitely done our homework as far as career moves go. My husband is an attorney and I'm an engineer. If I chose to continue to work, I would have the option to work remotely and still keep my same salary, but I'm ready to try the 'stay-at-home' mom gig for a while My husband's area of business is wealth management and South Florida is a fabulous place for him to continue his work! We're very fortunate that we have the flexibility to work anywhere in the U.S. (and even overseas if we wanted to). We'll see how it goes. If we find we're not happy, we'll look elsewhere. If I find I don't like staying home, I have a huge network of contacts here in the bay area that I plan to continue to stay in touch with.

I can't lie, though, we're super excited to try a new place!
Im glad you have done your research as that is very important, although you have alot more choices than the average person who moves to South Florida...We are sad to leave although there are things we didnt like it was home..We are hoping to get back in a few years part time and then full time when my youngest graduates HS in 4 years...We are looking in Charleston As well...

Jupiter is another great place for you guys...Very family oriented and just beautiful...It was too far for us at the time, and my family is in Delray Beach and Hillsboro so we chose not to live that far...

Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Im glad you have done your research as that is very important, although you have alot more choices than the average person who moves to South Florida...We are sad to leave although there are things we didnt like it was home..We are hoping to get back in a few years part time and then full time when my youngest graduates HS in 4 years...We are looking in Charleston As well...

Jupiter is another great place for you guys...Very family oriented and just beautiful...It was too far for us at the time, and my family is in Delray Beach and Hillsboro so we chose not to live that far...
Don't bother coming back, in a 10-20 years PB County will look like Miami-Dade, Martin County will be the new PB County. It's already happening, I am banking on a trend of 15 years, when I moved to Wellington in the early 90's, it was considered "The Sticks", now there is hardly any Greenspace left, 441 was a 2 lane dimly lit country road with no traffic, now it's a 8 lane highway with a constant flow of bumper to bumper traffic. Where cows use to graze is now Olympia, Buena Vida and some other development.

Traffic is not getting any better, it takes me 45 minutes to go 20 miles often in rush hour. I can't imagine if they ever had metering lights on the on ramps here like they have in the SF Bay Area on the highways, people would never follow them in this area, no way!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 AM

12 posts, read 40,145 times
That's awesome Wendy! What about Whole Foods? Is there one in the area? I'm super excited that there's an Ikea in Sunrise - LOL. It's the little things - right?

THX1138 mentioned the food options too. I'm def going to miss the Taquerias most of all as well as all of the other food choices. Any experiences with food options out there?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,496,250 times
Versailles, where cows used to graze.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Versailles, where cows used to graze.
Cows grazed at several locations in jand around 441.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Don't bother coming back, in a 10-20 years PB County will look like Miami-Dade, Martin County will be the new PB County. It's already happening, I am banking on a trend of 15 years, when I moved to Wellington in the early 90's, it was considered "The Sticks", now there is hardly any Greenspace left, 441 was a 2 lane dimly lit country road with no traffic, now it's a 8 lane highway with a constant flow of bumper to bumper traffic. Where cows use to graze is now Olympia, Buena Vida and some other development.

Traffic is not getting any better, it takes me 45 minutes to go 20 miles often in rush hour. I can't imagine if they ever had metering lights on the on ramps here like they have in the SF Bay Area on the highways, people would never follow them in this area, no way!
this made me laugh in a good way...LOL

We are torn about coming back as my hubby will be able to work remotely where ever he wants in the next few years so we are open..We will be renting in a few different places in a few different states and well who knows where we will wind up..Our issue is we don't know if the kids are going to want to start their lives back in South Florida...We will see what life holds
I can tell you We miss it though

Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
this made me laugh in a good way...LOL

We are torn about coming back as my hubby will be able to work remotely where ever he wants in the next few years so we are open..We will be renting in a few different places in a few different states and well who knows where we will wind up..Our issue is we don't know if the kids are going to want to start their lives back in South Florida...We will see what life holds
I can tell you We miss it though
I miss things about the Northeast, but it's not enough to make me want to move back. I think if I left here, I would go to NorCal, Sonoma County is beautiful and is not overdeveloped, Sebastopol is a nice little town, close to the Pacific. I would miss the beach and the tropical climate the most here, people and drivers, not so much.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I miss things about the Northeast, but it's not enough to make me want to move back. I think if I left here, I would go to NorCal, Sonoma County is beautiful and is not overdeveloped, Sebastopol is a nice little town, close to the Pacific. I would miss the beach and the tropical climate the most here, people and drivers, not so much.
and other than my family I dont miss the northeast either...and hubby turned down a job offer in NY as well because we left there for alot of different reasons...I get it and don't disagree again there are a few things that we need to really sit down and think about so who knows...

Old 01-11-2016, 09:00 PM

18 posts, read 27,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitychicago View Post
Lived in SF & Chicago now we are moving to Jupiter! We can't wait we are looking forward to all the new activities and experiences ie golf, tennis, paddle boarding, surfing, dog beaches, beautiful sunsets, Al fresco dining, gardening, nature walks, festivals/music, swimming, etc. Many of these activities are limited in Chicago eight months out of the year and when we lived in SF just wasn't a huge fan, love to visit just not to live.

Floridabound sounds like you can leave for summers and avoid the humidity & heat, that's our plan
Did you move from Chicago to Jupiter? How did it go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach