Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I do now know what to say Swimmom, but this is from my experiences. I have found Boca to be very pretentious, people size you up a mile away at least people I have worked with and are clients. Even when I go to Boca I see plenty of wealth being flashed around by not just baby boomers and seniors, but also young kids, teens and 20 somethings, driving above average priced cars. Spoiled rich kids are a plenty there, they do not have to work for anything and it shows on their faces, no stress and no respect and do not hold the door open for you because that's the way they were taught.

I am not even including the Boca Town Center, that is even more so full the types. Stopped in Whole Foods last week to get some things and it was way worse than the Whole Foods in Wellington or PBG, full of Seniors and Fish Lipped Baby Boomer woman with bad plastic surgery, looked like a Joan Rivers look-a-like convention.

There is a mix, but the wealthy are plentiful and many probably cannot even afford the cars they drive.

People from Palm Beach have a term for these types of more-flash-than-class people.... "Basically Boca."

On the flip side there's also tons of quieter, less flashy money around even in Boca. Those that size people up based on conspicuous displays of consumption are not generally quality people anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 AM

17,084 posts, read 21,747,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
THX I guess from my experience I have lived with wealth in NJ where we lived so it really doesn't phase me...and although the normal car is one of the price of a home, if they can afford it more power to them..again Im not saying its Not pretentious but I have to tell you, its like that in any area where there is money we live in a very expensive area of Charlotte no different than Boca and they are very Pertinacious here and Boca felt like a walk in the park..most of my son's friends drive normal cars and their parents are very normal too..my son drives a 03 BMW 325ci convertible mind you he bought it on his own for cash because those were the values we taught him as well as my youngest daughter...With that being said it is just not fair to lump an area all together like west boca in my opinion was less pertinacious than Central/West Boca, East Boca so so but I don't run in those circles and my wealthy friends are very down to earth and we just never felt that we were less than anyone else...Not saying that your wrong because dont get me wrong there are some women I just want to B*tch Slap a few times cause they make me ill...but you will find that anywhere...
I think you meant less pretentious not pertinacious! Pertinacious means "stubborn"

West Boca represents the cheap seats at the stadium (most of the stuff out there looks like Deerfield/ Coral Springs). East Boca is older homes, the expensive waterfront homes and of course the beachfront condos. Central Boca is country club central with lots of NY/NJ refugees that fled to "Bocur" to be with all their rich friends.

I lived in Boca for 14 years, seen plenty of empty mansions, been to homes in Carlton Place (Woodfield) where the owner was wearing an ankle bracelet due to a "white collar mistake" . I worked as a financial planner at a firm on Military Trail and met plenty of broke people that drove fancy cars! My favorite was a Cardiologist that made 400K (W2 income, real money), rented a house, wife didn't work, drove a leased Jaguar, 3 kids in private school and had ZERO left over at the end of the month! He was a young guy too! From appearances he looked the part but in reality he was just another "Broker" Raton resident! Had another guy that was a retired butcher from Long Island. Made ok money, came to Florida and lost his mind (2 leased Lexus cars, Broken Sound townhouse w/club membership). He was SPENDING more money annually in retirement than he ever made in his working career! When we saw the crash on the horizon, he proclaimed "my son is a Doctor and will probably help me out!"......Of course thinking of my other client that was a broke Doctor I was thinking that might not be a solution!

In reference to Charlotte, yes there are some beautiful expensive homes in Charlotte but it is a huge metropolitan area and with that brings cheaper homes also, something Boca has a shortage of. Charlotte shows 450 homes priced between $10000 and $75,000 currently on the market. Boca shows 255 units, 246 are listed as condos (most are age restricted Century Village or those cheap Boca West condos that forced you to buy the 70K club membership).

Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 AM

17,084 posts, read 21,747,304 times
Boca is a punch line for wannabe wealth and retirees. Sopranos referenced it telling Uncle Jr. to go down to Boca (meaning retire), Seinfeld has his parents in "Del Boca Vista" and of course Sarah Silverman's dad has his blog that makes non stop fun of Boca and he lives there! https://twitter.com/RantsFromBoca

Two of his recent observations:

He has a mansion on the ocean, a young beautiful wife, 8 expensive cars and a garage for each, yet the guy suffers from constant depression.

So much rain. God told me to build an ark. "Do I have to take two entitled from Boca?" "No," God replied. "Those are the ones I'm drowning."

Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,314,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Boca is a punch line for wannabe wealth and retirees. Sopranos referenced it telling Uncle Jr. to go down to Boca (meaning retire), Seinfeld has his parents in "Del Boca Vista" and of course Sarah Silverman's dad has his blog that makes non stop fun of Boca and he lives there! https://twitter.com/RantsFromBoca

Two of his recent observations:

He has a mansion on the ocean, a young beautiful wife, 8 expensive cars and a garage for each, yet the guy suffers from constant depression.

So much rain. God told me to build an ark. "Do I have to take two entitled from Boca?" "No," God replied. "Those are the ones I'm drowning."
Yes I did mean Pretentious...LOL

It depends where in Charlotte you live..we lived in an extremely wealthy area Marvin, NC check it out its like Boca trust me and where we live now is also very wealthy Charlotte itself like any other city is going to have their normal priced homes...and yes it is much cheaper to live here than in South Florida but doesn't always make it better!!

Again the wealth in Boca never bothered me so I guess I just never needed to fuss about it...There are all kinds of people that live there with all types of incomes and jobs...the money I could care less about my children fit in at school was not an issue once we moved out West Boca, my son had friends at his HS who is still best friends with today...

Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,580,560 times
Quote:
THX I guess from my experience I have lived with wealth in NJ where we lived so it really doesn't phase me...and although the normal car is one of the price of a home, if they can afford it more power to them..again Im not saying its Not pretentious but I have to tell you, its like that in any area where there is money we live in a very expensive area of Charlotte no different than Boca and they are very Pertinacious here and Boca felt like a walk in the park..most of my son's friends drive normal cars and their parents are very normal too..my son drives a 03 BMW 325ci convertible mind you he bought it on his own for cash because those were the values we taught him as well as my youngest daughter...With that being said it is just not fair to lump an area all together like west boca in my opinion was less pertinacious than Central/West Boca, East Boca so so but I don't run in those circles and my wealthy friends are very down to earth and we just never felt that we were less than anyone else...Not saying that your wrong because dont get me wrong there are some women I just want to B*tch Slap a few times cause they make me ill...but you will find that anywhere...
I lived in the wealthy parts outside of Philly, and saw it, also have relatives in NJ and and saw it there but not at the level in Boca, it's so condensed in Boca because of the influx of retirees and people who have wealth flocking and people really focus on image and status symbols, especially the woman I see if and when I go to the Town Center Mall. Even compared to Wellington which has plenty of wealthy people, overall I tend to feel people are more at advertising wealth even if they are not that wealthy to begin with. Difference is in the Northeast, it tends to be people who work not people who are retired or just riding on the coat tails of their parents bank account or trust fund. The look on their faces is not the same, there is no stress showing. Also a lot of people I knew and know who were wealthy, drove average cars, dressed average and at best maybe had a huge estate sized property. Some were more modest, but owned businesses and were smart people.

I highly compare Boca to Snottsdale, I mean Scottsdale, AZ based on a similar retiree population. I think Boca is more Northeast attitude but know a few people that move to Scottsdale from the Northeast.

I have a lot of acquaintances in Boca, also have friends who have family there and their siblings are very wealthy. There is indeed a mix, it is by no means Beverly Hills, just not the most humble place in Palm Beach County with real down to earth people, a lot of sizing up going on from my experience, very braggish people I have to listen to talking about all the trips they have been on and are going on, cars they are buying and etc.....maybe it's the crowds I mingle with? Can't say, but people are very self absorbed. Even when take my clients out to lunch, I drive a newer BMW M3 not an average BMW 3 Series, I get remarks of "why don't I get a Bentley", mind you these people make easily $250K+/year if not more in some instances. Probably not uncommon to know that they probably buy their teenage kids the same car I drive with spare change.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
People from Palm Beach have a term for these types of more-flash-than-class people.... "Basically Boca."

On the flip side there's also tons of quieter, less flashy money around even in Boca. Those that size people up based on conspicuous displays of consumption are not generally quality people anyway.
I read this on Urban Dictionary...a term called "Bocahontas", never heard this one before. I only read that Boca was in the top 15 of rudest cities in the world, a few years ago. I also recall a number of years ago, Boca was ranked for being pretentious, but I do not recall the ranking?

"Boca Raton + Pocahontas = Bocahontas. A snide concatenation devised by residents of Boca Raton, FL to describe women who embrace the flash and pretentious airs of a Boca Raton lifestyle. Unlike Old World aristocracy, the New World princess known as a Bocahontas feels no need to use her leisure in the pursuit of cultural achievements. Instead, she rehearses her sense of self-entitlement ad nauseum on someone else's credit card. A good example is Eva Langoria's character on Desperate Housewives (although she is not necessarily a Boca Raton resident) See also "help-basher". brat spoiled trophy wife snob help-basher
If you have any class and you are at the Boca Town Center mall on a Saturday afternoon, you will have the urge to commit Bocahontas-cide."

Tends to explain it....

Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Yes I did mean Pretentious...LOL

It depends where in Charlotte you live..we lived in an extremely wealthy area Marvin, NC check it out its like Boca trust me and where we live now is also very wealthy Charlotte itself like any other city is going to have their normal priced homes...and yes it is much cheaper to live here than in South Florida but doesn't always make it better!!

Again the wealth in Boca never bothered me so I guess I just never needed to fuss about it...There are all kinds of people that live there with all types of incomes and jobs...the money I could care less about my children fit in at school was not an issue once we moved out West Boca, my son had friends at his HS who is still best friends with today...
Only difference is outside of Boca and other parts of PBC, private schooling is not really a requirement to reaching social status, where I am from outside of Philly, the public schools are way better than here, and most people send their kids to public schools, here it's like your a failure as a parent if you don't send your kids to private school, even the cheaper ones can cost $10K/year, St Andrews in Boca is insane, $25K/year....not "average" by any means.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM

51 posts, read 184,593 times
What a great thread, had me chuckling a few times.

Being a Broker Raton or Bocahontas, that's fun stuff there.

By the way jmills, did you get your question answered?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,314,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I lived in the wealthy parts outside of Philly, and saw it, also have relatives in NJ and and saw it there but not at the level in Boca, it's so condensed in Boca because of the influx of retirees and people who have wealth flocking and people really focus on image and status symbols, especially the woman I see if and when I go to the Town Center Mall. Even compared to Wellington which has plenty of wealthy people, overall I tend to feel people are more at advertising wealth even if they are not that wealthy to begin with. Difference is in the Northeast, it tends to be people who work not people who are retired or just riding on the coat tails of their parents bank account or trust fund. The look on their faces is not the same, there is no stress showing. Also a lot of people I knew and know who were wealthy, drove average cars, dressed average and at best maybe had a huge estate sized property. Some were more modest, but owned businesses and were smart people.

I highly compare Boca to Snottsdale, I mean Scottsdale, AZ based on a similar retiree population. I think Boca is more Northeast attitude but know a few people that move to Scottsdale from the Northeast.

I have a lot of acquaintances in Boca, also have friends who have family there and their siblings are very wealthy. There is indeed a mix, it is by no means Beverly Hills, just not the most humble place in Palm Beach County with real down to earth people, a lot of sizing up going on from my experience, very braggish people I have to listen to talking about all the trips they have been on and are going on, cars they are buying and etc.....maybe it's the crowds I mingle with? Can't say, but people are very self absorbed. Even when take my clients out to lunch, I drive a newer BMW M3 not an average BMW 3 Series, I get remarks of "why don't I get a Bentley", mind you these people make easily $250K+/year if not more in some instances. Probably not uncommon to know that they probably buy their teenage kids the same car I drive with spare change.
Your absolutely right about it not being humble by any means and braggish absolutely but I guess I dont judge either way...If one wants to be shallow that is there problem and not mine kwim? and yes it is different up North However alot of the Wealth in boca isnt even the old people...Most of my son's friends live in multi million dollar homes and their parents are my age..Im in my 40's....Boca is far from Normal however there are some wonderful people too as we have great down to earth friends and people we know that who in deed are wealthy but I wouldn't trade them for the world

Anyhoo I was able to deal with Boca and loved it my kids on the hand well they really liked living in Florida and made some wonderful friends but at the end of the day my son really isnt sure that Florida is where he wants to plant his roots for alot of different reasons..his major is Exercise Science/Occupational therapy

I guess for people that are looking to move to Boca there is good and bad and certain types of people the only thing I will say is for most people It is a Culture Shock and I think its mainly because of the way they live

We did NOT like Scottsdale at all

Old 06-11-2013, 08:58 PM

33 posts, read 42,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAptFinder View Post
What a great thread, had me chuckling a few times.

Being a Broker Raton or Bocahontas, that's fun stuff there.

By the way jmills, did you get your question answered?
Pretty much...stay away from Boca lol! I'll be checking out some of the surroundings mentioned, may even check out Fort Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach