Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 35,625 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are considering relocating with our 3 kids to FL. We both work remotely, so job hunting is not an issue.

We've spent our entire lives living on the South Shore of Long Island, and absolutely love it. However, both of our entire families have made the move to FL, and we find ourselves missing them more and more whenever we go to visit.

His family is stationed in Pt St Lucie, mine in Boynton Beach, Coral Springs, Boca and Delray. We're currently considering Jupiter (perfectly halfway between the two families) or Boca. We want an area that most compares to LI, great schools, family neighborhoods. We're not big on gated communities, but will consider.

We're leaning more towards Jupiter due to location - but are there many things to do there with the kids? Besides beaches, what are the other amenities? We don't want to live in an area that's totally dead, although if it's within a very short drive of areas that are more bustling, we're ok with that.

We know Boca is more populated and bustling, but not sure if it would be too crowded for us. Although we'd be within minutes of my family, we'd be nearly an hour away from his. Not a deal breaker - but less convenient. We want more of a Hamptons feel, than Queens/Nassau County (for those who know LI)

I know ultimately we need to spend time in both areas, but still living in NY makes it difficult to put a lot of time into lengthy visits to learn the areas. Any insight would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:17 AM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynbad73 View Post
We know Boca is more populated and bustling, but not sure if it would be too crowded for us. Although we'd be within minutes of my family, we'd be nearly an hour away from his. Not a deal breaker - but less convenient. We want more of a Hamptons feel, than Queens/Nassau County (for those who know LI)
The Jupiter/Tequesta area would definitely give your more of a Hamptons feel. You might also look a bit to the north at the Stuart/Jensen Beach area which has a long tradition as one of the top-rated school districts in the state (Martin County Schools) and a similar feel, though even less density than Jupiter. As an FYI, suburban areas in Florida that are more congested than others don't equate into more things to do. It just means more people, traffic and congestion unless you're in a large city like Miami, Tampa or Ft Lauderdale.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,969,328 times
I'd never live in Boca Raton only because of its name.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
I'd never live in Boca Raton only because of its name.
Mouth of the Rat, right? lol - never stopped to think of it

Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,786,208 times
What do your kids do on LI and what would they do in the Hamptons? Play tennis, beach and pool? With some restaurants etc? You didn't mention where YOU live now. Alot of times people imagine something completely different than what they have at home thinking it's available here but ...

I ended up over-spending by 600 per month on my first rental in Florida when I relocated...for no reason. What I thought was there never materialized but after a year or so you get a better feel, so I would not buy at first anyway. And I had been coming to Florida for decades with two parents living here one part time.

I'd prefer Jupiter but you really DO have to get the energy by spending time in each. My kid played ice hockey and it was a big deal for him when he attended school here. He ended up with like, a fireman's league or something. My snowbird mother lived in Tequesta and I thought it was PERFECT but not for, say teenagers who want to be busy. But she was directly on the Intracoastal looking at Jupiter island in an HOA and that was really all we wanted - and calm. My son was only 2 at the time but for college he went to Boca. Another waste of money OMG Lynn University do not go there. After living here 10 years he started a couple businesses and moved back to Philly because his activities were there, not here. (and he stayed in touch with his childhood friends but not every family is that way)

Google things to do in each town for starters Things to do in Boca Raton: Check out 25 Boca Raton Attractions - TripAdvisor

You may like Wellington but it's equestrian oriented and inland. In between Boca and Jupiter but definitely NOT Boca-ish. Disclaimer I haven't been there in about 4 years either.

If you "just" want a good neighborhood with your own pool and random trips to the beach but have very ACTIVE kids (like sports or they want a huge movie complex or with art films and documentaries like you might find in WPB...or you have a daughter who takes dance or etc etc).... I'd list your priorities in the "things to do" list cuz, for me, coming from Philly there is NO COMPARISON whatsoever of "things to do". It's a trade off. Also in Vero some gated communities are excellent and not all HOA restrictive. There are many types. I don't know about the more southern counties because I was looking for a different type of housing when starting out looking in Broward and Palm Beach. You may appreciate the various restrictions even the "gentle" ones the first time you drive down a really nice not gated street and see the house with the canvas car port on poles in the driveway But I don't think it's exactly the same down there so it may not be an issue. Things change so you have to research in person without getting attached to an idea from long distance first, IMO.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-12-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
What do your kids do on LI and what would they do in the Hamptons? Play tennis, beach and pool? With some restaurants etc? You didn't mention where YOU live now. Alot of times people imagine something completely different than what they have at home thinking it's available here but ...

You may like Wellington but it's equestrian oriented and inland. In between Boca and Jupiter but definitely NOT Boca-ish. Disclaimer I haven't been there in about 4 years either.

If you "just" want a good neighborhood with your own pool and random trips to the beach but have very ACTIVE kids (like sports or they want a huge movie complex or with art films and documentaries like you might find in WPB...or you have a daughter who takes dance or etc etc).....
We live in West Islip currently - last stop to Ocean Beaches and Robert Moses Parks and beaches. LIRR practically up the block, so quick ride in NYC. Not overly active in the winter, but other months we go to the beaches, parks, aquarium, museums, water parks, local farms to pick fruit, petting zoos, etc. Hate keeping the kids locked up in the house.

My 8 year son plays sports, our 16 yr old daughter hangs out at the movies with friends, mall, etc. Been to Wellington when my brother was searching for a house, too far inland, and that was also years ago.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,786,208 times
Quote:
We live in West Islip currently - last stop to Ocean Beaches and Robert Moses Parks and beaches. LIRR practically up the block, so quick ride in NYC. Not overly active in the winter, but other months we go to the beaches, parks, aquarium, museums, water parks, local farms to pick fruit, petting zoos, etc. Hate keeping the kids locked up in the house.

My 8 year son plays sports, our 16 yr old daughter hangs out at the movies with friends, mall, etc. Been to Wellington when my brother was searching for a house, too far inland, and that was also years ago.
Good info, that should help with recommendations!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,969,328 times
Quote:
Mouth of the Rat, right? lol - never stopped to think of it
Yep... Rat Mouth.

It seems back in the day, it had a different meaning. Boca means inlet in nautical terms, and Ratones meant rugged rocks.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:18 PM

110 posts, read 172,991 times
Life in Jupiter is good; it is close to the PBI airport. The Kravis Center in WPB is nice for a concert or ballet. A few productions in the Maltz Jupiter theater I have seen were excellent. The library has a very decent selection of books. Roger Dean stadium is minutes away. The Community Center offers many activities for kids and adults. Two hospitals within a few miles. Also, kayaking on the rivers is fun. If you like 'blooms', you will love to grow tropical plants. Plenty of Societies you can join. The Gardens Shopping Center is loaded with upscale stores. On the other hand, there are tons of thrift shops should that be your cup of tea. Only 90 miles to Miami. It truly does not have to be a boring place for young families if one makes an effort to be active; many of us live outdoors for about eight months; only the summers are quite warm so one may not feel like doing much. There are small non-gated communities here. It is just they may not have a swimming pool and that is not a good thing.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,570,205 times
Quote:
We both work remotely, so job hunting is not an issue.
Arbonne, Mona Vie, Herbal Life and etc...all work from home and quite lucrative down here. I say go for it, I hear Arbonne gives you a white Merc after you become RVP, that would fit right in with Boca. Amway just doesn't cut it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach