Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 AM

3 posts, read 25,012 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in Colorado, and my wife's position has been transfered to Boca Raton. The position is a great opportunity, and I will be able to work from home. We have two elementary school aged children, 8 and 6. After quite a bit of research, and considering some of the best schools in the area seem to be in Boca, we have decided to relocate there.

We are currently looking to buy a home. Our budget is in the 300 - 450 area. We would like to be relatively close to the ocean, and after a couple of trips to the area, we have settled on the East Boca area. We had originally narrowed our focus to the Addison Mizner school boundries, with a backup option of Calusa. We had heard from some of my wife's co-workers that we should avoid Boca Raton and J.C. Mitchell, but are not sure if that is true. Our realtor has recently suggested that we also include the Verde and Del Prado areas in our search. We do not plan to consider private schools, or searching outside of the East Boca area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcofl View Post
My family and I live in Colorado, and my wife's position has been transfered to Boca Raton. The position is a great opportunity, and I will be able to work from home. We have two elementary school aged children, 8 and 6. After quite a bit of research, and considering some of the best schools in the area seem to be in Boca, we have decided to relocate there.

We are currently looking to buy a home. Our budget is in the 300 - 450 area. We would like to be relatively close to the ocean, and after a couple of trips to the area, we have settled on the East Boca area. We had originally narrowed our focus to the Addison Mizner school boundries, with a backup option of Calusa. We had heard from some of my wife's co-workers that we should avoid Boca Raton and J.C. Mitchell, but are not sure if that is true. Our realtor has recently suggested that we also include the Verde and Del Prado areas in our search. We do not plan to consider private schools, or searching outside of the East Boca area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Del Prado or Calusa, Verde is good too...While Addison Mizner is good the middle school not so good...why avoid Boca? they have some of the best schools..in my opinion...Our daughter attended Calusa 4th grade was great 5th grade was Good they did a great job for what she needed, she made alot of great friends and then went onto Omni Middle School and we loved that school as well...and my son Attended Spanish River for High School and also very happy there..these 2 schools are feeder schools from Calusa, Del Prado and Verde, however they did change the zoning before we moved so just make sure which middle school they would attend...Boca High School is excellent too but they attend Boca Middle not my 1st choice..but you have a while for that..

Good Luck

Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Del Prado or Calusa, Verde is good too...While Addison Mizner is good the middle school not so good...why avoid Boca? they have some of the best schools..in my opinion...Our daughter attended Calusa 4th grade was great 5th grade was Good they did a great job for what she needed, she made alot of great friends and then went onto Omni Middle School and we loved that school as well...and my son Attended Spanish River for High School and also very happy there..these 2 schools are feeder schools from Calusa, Del Prado and Verde, however they did change the zoning before we moved so just make sure which middle school they would attend...Boca High School is excellent too but they attend Boca Middle not my 1st choice..but you have a while for that..

Good Luck
Thanks for your reply! We were told to avoid Boca Elementary and JC Mitchell, not the entire Boca area. We are just wondering if this is accurate advice. Also, what is it about Boca Middle that is undesirable (old infrastructure, under-qualified teaching, curriculum, bullying, etc)? Just curious. We love the east area, but just want to understand which areas would be best to avoid.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! We were told to avoid Boca Elementary and JC Mitchell, not the entire Boca area. We are just wondering if this is accurate advice. Also, what is it about Boca Middle that is undesirable (old infrastructure, under-qualified teaching, curriculum, bullying, etc)? Just curious. We love the east area, but just want to understand which areas would be best to avoid.

Thanks for your help!
that info is correct and very accurate..some of my daughters friends were rezoned there and 1 of them is being bullied very badly hence she wont be attending Boca Middle Anymore, their are fights all the time, for us it just wasnt the right school..

Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
that info is correct and very accurate..some of my daughters friends were rezoned there and 1 of them is being bullied very badly hence she wont be attending Boca Middle Anymore, their are fights all the time, for us it just wasnt the right school..
In many communities as of late, schools are putting anti-bullying programs in place to try to combat bullying. Have you seen an anti-bullying efforts in Boca Raton schools, and if so, has there been less bullying then in the past? Do school administrators / teachers try to make any efforts to stop it?

Also, are there any dress codes for Boca public schools?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
In many communities as of late, schools are putting anti-bullying programs in place to try to combat bullying. Have you seen an anti-bullying efforts in Boca Raton schools, and if so, has there been less bullying then in the past? Do school administrators / teachers try to make any efforts to stop it?

Anti bullying well I can tell you there is more bullying in boca middle than Omni, although this is a problem in every school and middle schools personally are the most difficult years in my opinion...

The administrations in all of the middle schools in Boca aren't great however I have had a few good experiences with them at Omni Middle again when I went to Boca Middle for a Visit, I had decided she wasn't attending that school...I can tell you a poster Magnolia bloom her child was in Boca Middle and she has experience with the school, so maybe PM her and ask her but I know she wasn't happy with the school either..

Omni has a Dress Code nothing above 2 finger tips and they must wear Polo shirts....

I have no idea about Boca Middle...

Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM

205 posts, read 480,825 times
I have friends who live in the Addison mizner district that have children who attended boca middle and had no problems. There is no perfect school especially in South Florida where the schools tend to be not so great. I have toured Boca middle as we live in Deerfield and need a better middle school and can tell you Boca middle is not bad. a friend of mine is a substitute teacher who often subs for Boca middle and thinks the kids are great especially compared to Deerfield middle. I personally do not think you can go wrong with that area. Remember each kid will have a different experience as each parents have different expectations, with everything while it may be great for one it may not be for the other.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM

205 posts, read 480,825 times
Quote:

Boca Middle does have a dress code, I would suggest doing a tour of all the schools and decide.

Browser Not Supported

Browser Not Supported

BocaParent Blog » bullying

Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 PM

11 posts, read 34,812 times
I was wondering if you had made a decision yet? We are possibly relocating to Boca from MI and I have a 6 and 8 year old as well. I will be making a couple trips to the area and checking out the schools. From many of the comments regarding FL and the school system we may just bypass public and go private. I will be checking public and private though.
We are also looking at East Boca.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM

500 posts, read 747,907 times
We are also planning to relocate, probably in September, and I am also wondering about the middle schools in Boca. It is so hard to get information from their websites, especially Omni's; there are lots of broken links, outdated info. and no course catalogue??

Perhaps the schools put this information elsewhere but it's very hard to learn about them from afar. For example, it looks as though Omni has very few electives. Band, journalism, and maybe one other, but no orchestra, choir or foreign languages for 7th grade? Is that correct? Appreciate any insight from Boca parents who have kids in the middle schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach