Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Coconut Creek or Boca Raton for a family with a daughter starting HS
Coconut Creek 5 22.73%
Boca Raton 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM

32 posts, read 68,581 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have posted before so some of you may be somewhat familiar with my situation. I am planning on relocating to SoFl next summer and I have been researching for a few months now. I seemed to have narrowed down my search to Coconut Creek and Boca Raton. I have a daughter who will be going in to High School then so a great HS is the #1 factor in my search. I am looking to rent a 2-3 br townhome in clean and safe neighborhood for no more than $1700 per month. I am also looking to stay closer to the beach with no more than a 15 min drive.

As far as Boca- I know that Spanish River and Boca Raton HS are great but I'm just not sure Boca is the right fit for my family. I have visited recently and it just seems too uptight and upscale to me. I do plan on visiting a few more times to get a better feel. I get daily MLS listings from realtors and it seems like Boca does have alot more rentals available that Coconut Creek but it looks like I would get more for my money in West Boca which isnt zoned for the 2 HS's I mentioned above...

As far as Coconut Creek- I have heard some really great things...good neighborhoods, more down to earth than Boca etc...I have been there in passing but at that time, no intent to check it out as a potential residence. I know that Monarch HS is okay but my goal to live in Coconut Creek would be to have my daughter go to Pompano Beach HS. It is 100 % magnet so its by application and acceptance so if she gets in, I can live anywhere in Broward north of sunrise blvd. What concerns me about Coconut Creek is the landfill.

So any advice, comments, feedback, pros and cons would be appreciated. Especially regarding specific neighborhoods/locations in each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 12:00 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
I think your assessment of Boca is accurate in that IMO, it is an uptight/pretentious area.
Some like it, some don't, it's a matter of what you're comfortable with.

As far as being near the beach - just so you're aware.. during season, you can live 3 miles from the beach - but it can be a 30 minute drive.

I don't have kids, so I can't help you with schools, but know that west Boca.. around Sandalfoot is not considered a good area.

I would suggest trying to find a rental near the Promenade on Lyons.
It seems like a decent area.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Thanks for your reply! Yea, I don't think I would be too comfortable with it which is why I was leaning more toward CC now. I do realize that during season it will be a tougher commute to the beach. That is not my priority so I am willing to travel further to live in a better, safer place. Thanks for the suggestion on looking near the Promenade!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
cfbs is spot on about Boca.....the landfill "Monarch Hill" is actually in Pompano but the smell does work it's way over to Coconut Creek so I have been told, I think the smell was worst years ago then it is currently, akin to the PB County Landfill I drive by everyday north of Okeechobee which is horrid.... I would avoid Pompano....the smell there is the least of your worries.

Monarch Hill Renewable Energy Park

Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 AM

THX- Thanks for your reply. I don't plan on living in Pompano at all. Pompano Beach HS is 100% magnet and by application and acceptance so if my daughter gets in, I can live anywhere in Broward north of Sunrise...so I was thinking Coconut Creek may be a great choice. Then when I started reading about the landfill I got nervous.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellynel0902 View Post
THX- Thanks for your reply. I don't plan on living in Pompano at all. Pompano Beach HS is 100% magnet and by application and acceptance so if my daughter gets in, I can live anywhere in Broward north of Sunrise...so I was thinking Coconut Creek may be a great choice. Then when I started reading about the landfill I got nervous.
CC and West Boca really can be considered the same place but CC is probably newer overall. I am usually very leery of magnet schools in rough areas due to the games the politicians, educators play to "improve a historically low academic school" by making it a magnet school. Nothing like importing smart kids to a rough area too boost school ratings/scores but remind me how does that change the community?

Old 10-17-2014, 02:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,958 times
As a beach lover living in South Florida, I must say that Pompano has the BEST beaches (look it up on Google Earth).. very wide, clean beaches, lots of golden sand, tiki bars and restaurants with live bands every Sunday right on the beach! Pompano feels like a beach town unlike other cities, including Boca Raton and Coconut Creek. I'm not saying that Boca or Coconut Creek are not nice, but you don't have that beachy atmosphere. The beach in Boca is only few feet wide and there's nothing going on on the beach except bushes and weeds, not to mention, it's a big problem with the parking by the beach. Boca is more of a city, very crowded and busy, not a beach town like Pompano Beach! (crazy drivers too in Boca!) As far as Coral Springs or Weston.. why would you live in Florida if you're not close to the beach? Not to mention the heat and the mosquitos you have in the summer out west!

Last edited by Collecting Shells; 10-17-2014 at 02:58 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 PM

387 posts, read 515,266 times
Default Boca my #1 choice,still

I did lots of research not just on Florida,but Texas,Carolinas, and few more. This was ten years ago and I'm really glad I picked Boca Raton. I'm East of 95,so I can walk most anywhere, a 20 minute stroll to the beach.Shopping is everywhere,new Traders Joe is minutes away by foot and everthing in between is right there. When major chain stores,restaurants,etc decide to build they do extensive studies as you know on the future of the area. I'm far from rich,NY State employee who'll soon be receiving a pension so I don't really get any concern about elite only. No doubt there is big money around the area, that doesn't exclude a solid middle class from what I've experienced over 10 years. The one benefit that comes with living in this area are the amenities that are included in an area with a solid financial foundation. My taxes are low,beautiful beach, amazing Library, great schools,shopping, restaurants, movies, parks, lots of recreation,clean,quiet,safe streets. I've been to Coconut Creek and it appears to be a nice area. If you're renting you can always change your mind down the road.The main thing is you're in So.Fl,either choice you win.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:21 AM

This post is about 14 months old........but John is spot on about Boca Raton. The only thing I think he left out is all the "wannabe" rich. Plenty of blue collar folks in Boca but it seems there are plenty more that instantly equate Boca addresses with the Kardashian lifestyle even if it is a trailer park in West Boca!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collecting Shells View Post
As a beach lover living in South Florida, I must say that Pompano has the BEST beaches (look it up on Google Earth).. very wide, clean beaches, lots of golden sand, tiki bars and restaurants with live bands every Sunday right on the beach! Pompano feels like a beach town unlike other cities, including Boca Raton and Coconut Creek. I'm not saying that Boca or Coconut Creek are not nice, but you don't have that beachy atmosphere. The beach in Boca is only few feet wide and there's nothing going on on the beach except bushes and weeds, not to mention, it's a big problem with the parking by the beach. Boca is more of a city, very crowded and busy, not a beach town like Pompano Beach! (crazy drivers too in Boca!) As far as Coral Springs or Weston.. why would you live in Florida if you're not close to the beach? Not to mention the heat and the mosquitos you have in the summer out west!

Beach is good.....great but what about the rest of Pompano, particularly the part west of US1.

You also mention nothing on Boca's beach except bushes and weeds (city owns lots of beachfront parks, bushes and weeds as you call them). It is a nice alternative to miles of sky high aging condos shading the beach after 1 pm! Parking at the beach in Boca is no problem if you have a city resident sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach