Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 PM

431 posts, read 1,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Greek Style Restaurants are quite plentiful here...the 24 HR Diners that most from the Northeast are accustomed to are not, I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of Florida being an interstate or a major thruway like what is evident in the Northeast, a lot of travelers and trucks that can support it.
Nah, that's definitely not it. Long Island alone has 2-3 diners per town. For whatever reason, it isn't part of the landscape in the South, but it could and should. Its families, not truckers or travelers.

I lived in South Charlotte prior to relocating here. Never had one there until just lately. They recently put one in Ballantyne, and its doing incredible.

Indiantown alone has 2 Duffys. 2 Duffys!!! C'mon now. They probably are the most popular "family" destination on Indiantown, next to Outback, and they both stink in my opinion. We also have a plethora of more upscale type establishments, but that's not what families need (Leftovers and such), not to mention the Italian restaurants.

You've got First Watch, Berry Fresh, Suzy Qs, and 5 or 6 other places just like them that open for breakfast and lunch and then close. They all seem to be doing extremely well through the day, why not have a place that offers that type of menu for dinner?

I stand by my opinion that a diner would be very successful in Jupiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,576,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Nah, that's definitely not it. Long Island alone has 2-3 diners per town. For whatever reason, it isn't part of the landscape in the South, but it could and should. Its families, not truckers or travelers.

I lived in South Charlotte prior to relocating here. Never had one there until just lately. They recently put one in Ballantyne, and its doing incredible.

Indiantown alone has 2 Duffys. 2 Duffys!!! C'mon now. They probably are the most popular "family" destination on Indiantown, next to Outback, and they both stink in my opinion. We also have a plethora of more upscale type establishments, but that's not what families need (Leftovers and such), not to mention the Italian restaurants.

You've got First Watch, Berry Fresh, Suzy Qs, and 5 or 6 other places just like them that open for breakfast and lunch and then close. They all seem to be doing extremely well through the day, why not have a place that offers that type of menu for dinner?

Not where I use to live and been in the Northeast, anywhere along the I-95 corridor through Philly up through CT and NJ, there use to be a bunch but many are in decline or gone.....for reasons stated in this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/ny...rsnj.html?_r=0

Howley's in WPB is another one I forgot to mention, open late..almost 24 HR on Fri/Sat...

Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,301,005 times
Quote:
Not where I use to live and been in the Northeast, anywhere along the I-95 corridor through Philly up through CT and NJ, there use to be a bunch but many are in decline or gone.....for reasons stated in this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/ny...rsnj.html?_r=0

Howley's in WPB is another one I forgot to mention, open late..almost 24 HR on Fri/Sat...
Our Diner's in Brooklyn and Staten Island are still 24 hours, and you could always find a Diner to have a Cheeseburger Deluxe

This is true though the owner of our favorite diner they sold a years ago and their family sold the other one in NJ so I do see where this could be true...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 07-26-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Our Diner's in Brooklyn and Staten Island are still 24 hours, and you could always find a Diner to have a Cheeseburger Deluxe
Triple D!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Triple D!
ok Yummmm lol

How about those Cheese Fries and Gravy OMG

Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
ok Yummmm lol

How about those Cheese Fries and Gravy OMG
No...not like SOS or Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast....SOS was a popular diner special, it's an acronym for something that would get me flagged on here....

Triple D = Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives : Guy Fieri : Food Network

Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
No...not like SOS or Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast....SOS was a popular diner special, it's an acronym for something that would get me flagged on here....

Triple D = Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives : Guy Fieri : Food Network
Yes we watch Triple D and omg yummm You can't watch it when your hungry...He did do one with Disco Fries but it had chili on them..lol dont like chili on my cheese fries

Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 AM

302 posts, read 497,961 times
I thought there was Alexander's down on Dixie Hwy or something. I may be thinking wrong or it may be closed. I can remember going there every Saturday for a Greek salad with my father.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 AM

17,028 posts, read 21,709,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post

2 Duffy's... You do realize the west one is only there to serve the highway traffic, the sports fields and the Jupiter Farms folks. I agree Duffy's isn't great at any level but it is consistent.

Your examples of breakfast/lunch places are relatively new (1st Watch isn't) so get back to us after summer washes a few of them out. Also note the size of their locations (small) compared to Quarterdeck size.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 AM

431 posts, read 1,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
2 Duffy's... You do realize the west one is only there to serve the highway traffic, the sports fields and the Jupiter Farms folks. I agree Duffy's isn't great at any level but it is consistent.

Your examples of breakfast/lunch places are relatively new (1st Watch isn't) so get back to us after summer washes a few of them out. Also note the size of their locations (small) compared to Quarterdeck size.
Sorry, I did not realize that the Duffys West was established to serve the highway traffic, sports fields and Jupiter Farms folks. So that would strengthen my request for a Greek diner on Indiantown for the regular Jupiter families whom don't fit into those 3 categories, would it not?

You're right about consistent tho

Correct me if I am wrong, but of the breakfast/lunch spots that I mentioned, only Berry Fresh is new, and they are doing exceedingly well. I failed to mention: Center St Nook, Old Dixie Café, Jims Place, Natures Way, Logger Head, Royal Café, and I am certain many more that I am too lazy to research. I am pretty sure every one of them closes after lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach