Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 AM

15 posts, read 40,150 times

Advertisements

We are a year away from relocating/retiring in/around Delray Beach....

We have been thinking we would buy mopeds; I am curious why I have seen so few motor scooter riders in SE FL in my visits? Any clues?

I had heard that driving is dangerous, but seemed much less congested than Maryland and Washington DC, or NYC, so it didn't seem that bad to me.

So true, I've never owned a motor scooter, and I know it would be for local driving, along the beach road, or to the store, not to get us to Ft Lauderdale or up to Jupiter parks, I suppose...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 05:20 PM

981 posts, read 899,716 times
I live fairly close to downtown and see quite a few scooters. I don't know that I would go far but you should be ok in the beach and downtown areas. The crazy driver factor is definitely less than NYC but for a smaller town it is definitely on the crazier side. I think it seems crazier when people expect small town driving and forget that this is kind of like one long sprawling metro area, with an extra sprinkle of crazy driving with the tourists. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people driving in the wrong direction on the Federal Hwy. But you'll be fine if you drive with some awareness.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etana View Post
We are a year away from relocating/retiring in/around Delray Beach....

We have been thinking we would buy mopeds; I am curious why I have seen so few motor scooter riders in SE FL in my visits? Any clues?

I had heard that driving is dangerous, but seemed much less congested than Maryland and Washington DC, or NYC, so it didn't seem that bad to me.

So true, I've never owned a motor scooter, and I know it would be for local driving, along the beach road, or to the store, not to get us to Ft Lauderdale or up to Jupiter parks, I suppose...
I scootered in the South Florida area, and Ill be brief . . . I dont know if day to day traffic on US1/Dixie Highway type main roads would a be good idea if you have never ridden before. There is a reason why you dont see too many scooter/moped riders. Florida driving is sort of like reenacting Ben Hur. Ive ridden for 40 years and was very nervous in traffic there. I think if you stick to A1A and neighborhood roads, you will be OK. I would sincerely suggest you take a course at a local scooter or motorcycle shop, too
When You say 'moped', Im sure you mean a 50cc scooter type bike, but I might also suggest bumping up to a 125cc Kymco Agilty or something like that. Riding a 50 in traffic might be a very scary experience for a new rider. A 125 is just about right for anything but I-95 in that area. If you are daring, you can get away with no tag on most 125's
Get a helmet and and make "Never trust anyone in a car" your mantra, and you should become comfortable with it. Good luck, be safe!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,240 times
Bike lanes in a lot of areas and streets are almost non-existent. Save for the beach and some smaller roads, I think New York and DC streets are actually more biker friendly. Makes sense though considering how few people use them. Down here everything is very spread out so people usually buy a car or truck, moped wouldn't make much sense unless it's for leisure.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 PM

15 posts, read 40,150 times
Quote:
moped wouldn't make much sense unless it's for leisure.
Yes, for leisure, short rides along the beach or neighborhoods.

Quote:
125cc Kymco Agilty or something like that..... suggest you take a course at a local scooter or motorcycle shop, too
Thanks for the tips. I will be totally new to motorbikes (dont' even know diff between moped and small motorbike, see!, but it's one of few things still on my 'bucket list!'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach