Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 32,420 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking at relocating to either Houston or West Palm Beach. He will be transferring through his company and I will be beginning a career in Occupational Therapy. We are in our mid 20s and will be newly married. We would like to be within an hour from the beach, a good nightlife, sporting events nearby, and fun things to do! Thoughts on WPB? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM

224 posts, read 321,612 times
wpb hands down. south florida completely blows texas out of the water in every single regard.

have you seen the galveston shore? the water is so filthy, it literally looks like chocolate milk. nastiest place i've ever visited in my life. texas also has absolutely zero nightlife, the people are really uptight/boring, people are insanely racist, bible thumpers abound, etc.

s. florida is beautiful weather (not 115+ like houston), beautiful people, seconds to the water and millions of things to do. plus everything's waaaaaaay more pretty, the skyline isn't polluted and chock-full of refineries. plus you don't have to drive 45 minutes to get anything done.

texas isn't even remotely in the same league. that entire state sucks ass. don't even think about this one, just do it.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Houston is pretty cool IMO.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynicole View Post
My fiance and I are looking at relocating to either Houston or West Palm Beach. He will be transferring through his company and I will be beginning a career in Occupational Therapy. We are in our mid 20s and will be newly married. We would like to be within an hour from the beach, a good nightlife, sporting events nearby, and fun things to do! Thoughts on WPB? Thanks in advance
Well you do know posting this in a Florida room we are going to be biased! I have been to Texas and the Houston area as well as Galveston.
You couldn't pay me enough to live in that craphole of a state.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
wpb hands down. south florida completely blows texas out of the water in every single regard.

have you seen the galveston shore? the water is so filthy, it literally looks like chocolate milk. nastiest place i've ever visited in my life. texas also has absolutely zero nightlife, the people are really uptight/boring, people are insanely racist, bible thumpers abound, etc.

s. florida is beautiful weather (not 115+ like houston), beautiful people, seconds to the water and millions of things to do. plus everything's waaaaaaay more pretty, the skyline isn't polluted and chock-full of refineries. plus you don't have to drive 45 minutes to get anything done.

texas isn't even remotely in the same league. that entire state sucks ass. don't even think about this one, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well you do know posting this in a Florida room we are going to be biased! I have been to Texas and the Houston area as well as Galveston.
You couldn't pay me enough to live in that craphole of a state.
As you can tell from post like these some South Florida residents evidently suffer from personality deficit disorders. Their flame is beyond rude. Galveston is a fine historical resort that has a charm all its own. It is not a place that people are going to fly from other parts of the country to visit but it is a great little asset for the Houston area. I notice that the OP has posted basically this same post in several different forums and I hope you are not just trying to start a flame war, but if you are seriously thinking about moving to Houston you will be moving to an exciting international city where people are not so hung up on where they live but how they live, and the interpersonal relationships they share.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
Really rude comments on here re Texas, a unique and proud state.
I am from SoFla (originally LI) but the IQ level and manners of some of the locals - transplants or not - can be embarrassing, to say the least.
We have great weather, beautiful beaches and pretty good entertainment - even for young folks like you.
But you must allow for the eedjuts..everywhere.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:18 PM

17 posts, read 22,994 times
I've never been to Houston but I'm pretty sure it's a city. Wpb on the other is not. City as in "city," big city, major city, etc. Wpb is a suburb of Miami. It's like any other suburb in Miami except that it's the county seat of its respective county (Palm beach county) so it has benefits over other suburbs in Palm beach. For example, county exclusive things like the courthouse or museums will most likely be in west palm. Also, since it's a beach town/suburb, it's beach area/"downtown" will be urbanish and have some fun things to do there.

That's something you have to know. Myself and I know many other people that were misguided and told west palm and ft. Lauderdale were cities like Miami, NYC, Chicago, etc. or cities like Fort Worth or like Newark and we found out the hardy way that is not true. So, believe me, so you won't go through any of the horrible things we went to, find out where exactly you want to live, a city, beach town, etc. and do as much research as possible.

If you want to compare Houston vs a city in the Miami metro area/"south Florida," then you have to compare it with Miami. Miami is great btw. I'm born and raised in NYC, lived in the suburbs and have lived in the Miami metro for the last 20+ years, both Miami city, suburbs in dade, broward and palm beach, and I prefer Miami over NYC. So, that should tell you a lot.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:38 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
If you are going for work opportunities, go to Houston, number 1 in growth, job potential. Still very high unemployment in FL. Beaches are better in FL for sure, but the water is warmer in the Gulf than the east coast. Lot of activities in Galveston, wide range of neighborhoods and life styles in Houston.

As to taxes, pretty similar. No income tax, etc. Traffic can be a PITA but your potential for economic growth, job growth, etc is better in Houston.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
If you are going for work opportunities, go to Houston, number 1 in growth, job potential. Still very high unemployment in FL. Beaches are better in FL for sure, but the water is warmer in the Gulf than the east coast. Lot of activities in Galveston, wide range of neighborhoods and life styles in Houston.

As to taxes, pretty similar. No income tax, etc. Traffic can be a PITA but your potential for economic growth, job growth, etc is better in Houston.

Actually, the difference between Texas unemployment (6.2%) and Florida (6.7%) is not exactly gaping.

Neither state is known for high wages, though depending on your industry in either state (say, if you're in the energy field in Texas), the opportunities will vary.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W60 View Post
I've never been to Houston but I'm pretty sure it's a city. Wpb on the other is not. City as in "city," big city, major city, etc. Wpb is a suburb of Miami. It's like any other suburb in Miami except that it's the county seat of its respective county (Palm beach county) so it has benefits over other suburbs in Palm beach. For example, county exclusive things like the courthouse or museums will most likely be in west palm. Also, since it's a beach town/suburb, it's beach area/"downtown" will be urbanish and have some fun things to do there.

That's something you have to know. Myself and I know many other people that were misguided and told west palm and ft. Lauderdale were cities like Miami, NYC, Chicago, etc. or cities like Fort Worth or like Newark and we found out the hardy way that is not true. So, believe me, so you won't go through any of the horrible things we went to, find out where exactly you want to live, a city, beach town, etc. and do as much research as possible.

Who mislead you and "many other people" into thinking a city of 100k is anything remotely like Miami, NYC or Chicago?

A weekend trip would dispel any such notion!

And I would disagree that West Palm Beach is a suburb of Miami. Suburbs serve the main city center with employees and serves as housing options for those pushed out of the city.

Not a significant amount of West Palm residents work in Miami.

In fact, it's kind of like the difference between Newark, NJ to New York. Newark has its own sphere of influence, despite technically being part of the New York Metro.

West Palm Beach itself has its own suburbs, extending into St. Lucie County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach