Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 24,713 times

Advertisements

Planning on relocating to Boynton Beach and am concerned about the amount of crime? Could anyone fill me in? I am coming from Philadelphia, PA (ok, ok, you're probably going to say Philly is one of the worst places to live crime wise). East of I-95 - how is that area? Thanks for your honesty.

Last edited by herd201; 06-07-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 04:07 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Not great......older neighborhoods, Delray to the south (again hit or miss) and Lake Worth to the north (hit or miss).

Google Boynton Mall Christmas shooting- Haitian gangs shooting it out at the mall a few years ago.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...tenced-/nLrrq/

Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM

24 posts, read 44,772 times
I lived there for a year in the marina district. It was lovely. Worse thing that happened was our bikes were stolen right out of our luxury high rise bike room.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,626 times
I spent the first 20 years of my life in Boynton Beach.

It depends specifically on where you are looking at staying. Except for the expensive condos across from Ocean Ridge (as in the area of the marina mentioned above), there are a lot of relatively bad areas east of I-95 in Boynton Beach. It is a well-known fact that I-95 is a buffer, and you will find many great areas separated from seedy areas only by that highway.

If you are living east of I-95 and will not be living in a luxury condo, then it is best to be between Gateway and Hypoluxo or south of Woolbright. The area south of Gateway and north of Woolbright tends to have older buildings and people living in close proximity. Unlike NYC, these combined factors are reliably an indicator of higher crime in this area. It's particularly rougher around Martin Luther King. Know in advance that the houses and apartments on and surrounding Seacrest Rd are typically populated by Haitian immigrants. Many of them (though certainly not all) do not speak English and are unfriendly to people who are not like them.

However, east Boynton is not unusually dangerous. Gangs from Lake Worth to the north and Delray Beach to the south are worse than the ones from Boynton. Sometimes they come over, and this is the worst of it. The mall shooting referenced by City Guy was between rival gang members from Delray Beach. NeighborhoodScout calls Lake Worth the 42nd most dangerous city in the country ( Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout ), and I am not surprised.

That being said, if you mind your own business in east Boynton, you will probably be fine. You probably have more than enough street smarts to thrive in E Boynton since you come from Philly. There is a significant population of elderly people out there who make it just fine. Most violent crime is gang on gang.

Last edited by wooof; 06-11-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 24,713 times
Thanks so much for all the info - how about if I live west of I-95?

Old 06-27-2014, 09:10 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,570,205 times
If your coming from North Philly or been to Camden then anything east of 95 will look like Bucks County in comparison.

West of 95 you will deal with lot's of sneakers with those velcro straps...bad drivers, mainly driving a Lexus, Caddy or Buick with white walls and the soft top conversion, bagels and lox and nasal sounding voices. Also be prepared, Publix Deli, meat sliced thin, paper thin and a shopping cart in back of the ankles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach