Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 AM

18 posts, read 46,980 times

Advertisements

Not a bus person..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,764,294 times
You must have a car, especially if you are used to freedom and want to move around, which i'm sure you will.
IMO the best bang is to buy a used Honda or Camry - depends on your budget, but these cars can run forever - and you will have a cheap reliable ride. Warning - the first time registration fee is several hundred dollars, as i recall, but at least you don't need $$ for annual inspections, which can be a royal PITA with older cars. I don't purchase collision insurance so my cost is around $700/yr, which is less than I paid in NY.

BTW, I live in a real nice community in Delray off Lake IDA which is out of your price range, but RE prices are moving up all over. After two years of snowflaking I decided to chuck the northern thing so now i'm a regular NE-to-Floridian
transplant..and loving it all.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:04 PM

52 posts, read 82,768 times
We were looking too at condos in Kings Point.. and my husband and I felt like it really was the place you go to as you wait to die. I know that might not be very nice to say.. but that is how we felt.. and my husband is pushing 70..
We lived in a great retirement community in Arizona but this was nothing like that. Then we saw the documentary and knew we were right to flee.
Yes, we understand that for some it might be great, but definitely not us.
We are still looking, but now we are looking for a SFH.
We will see what we end up with.
good luck in your search.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 19,384 times
How are Palmetto bugs controlled in the units at Kings Point and Century Village? Are they overran by them in the units? Thinking of moving into one of these Communities but I can not deal with cockroaches. Thanks

Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Cv ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina702 View Post
We were looking too at condos in Kings Point.. and my husband and I felt like it really was the place you go to as you wait to die. I know that might not be very nice to say.. but that is how we felt.. and my husband is pushing 70..
We lived in a great retirement community in Arizona but this was nothing like that. Then we saw the documentary and knew we were right to flee.
Yes, we understand that for some it might be great, but definitely not us.
We are still looking, but now we are looking for a SFH.
We will see what we end up with.
good luck in your search.

Have you looked at any of the Century Villages?
Im thinking the Deerfield facility.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 40,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
BTW, I live in a real nice community in Delray off Lake IDA which is out of your price range, but RE prices are moving up all over.
What community? Can you highlight pros and cons of your community?

I am planning on retiring/moving to SE FL June 2015, interested in Rainberry Bay, Delray Beach, but there are very few homes for sale or rent there, and we first plan to rent for a year. I'd love to find other alternatives to Rainberry Bay, in that similar location.. I'd like to be closer to the beach than Kings Point etc (I'd like to be maximum 4 miles to the beach, so I can bike there)...

Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 AM

I don't see myself on a bus..not yet anyway

Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleymc16 View Post
Hi,
Im a 57 year old (active) semi retired bachelor wanting to buy a condo in the 35,000-60,000
cash range for winter use..My hope is for opinions about which place (or others) is a better financial bargain now.. and which in the future may have a better price appreciation?
Thankyou!!
Century Village condos do not appreciate much. If you buy now and there is a housing boom then you may see your property appreciate. I looked into the ones in Deerfield Beach, I'm 49 and they are strict about not letting anyone under 55 in. It seems oppressive. Each building has a president, you have to go in front of a board to be approved and can be turned down with no reason given. These buildings are old and you will prolly have to pay cash because banks wont loan you the money for them. HOA fees are about $270 depending on the size of the unit I think. They are old and have old kitchens and some are fixer uppers. There are for lower income people, as an alternative to renting.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
Is a car necessary? I thought that the area has a decent public transit system.
for the most part south Florida is a commuters area and you need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach