Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:32 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Coming from Southern California, your commute will probably be easier, but just be advised that's it much more difficult to meet quality people and make meaningful, long-lasting friendships in South Florida.

That, plus the weather, scenery, culture and overall lifestyle totally suck by comparison.

Oh, yeah--can't forget the bugs, either.
Party pooper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 11:53 AM
GOL

5 posts, read 7,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Coming from Southern California, your commute will probably be easier, but just be advised that's it much more difficult to meet quality people and make meaningful, long-lasting friendships in South Florida.

That, plus the weather, scenery, culture and overall lifestyle totally suck by comparison.

Oh, yeah--can't forget the bugs, either.
It's a shame you hate it so much. We lived right on the water and STILL hated LA!

We have been coming to Florida for 20 years. Finally able to live here and it's was worth the wait. We couldn't be happier!

Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 AM
GOL

5 posts, read 7,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
^^^While it is tough to be the variety of So.California, the home price differential is huge as Los Angeles is one of the most unaffordable housing markets in the country.

The median home price in Boca Raton for a single-family home is $375,000
Boca Raton Home Prices and Home Values | Zillow

A comparable coastal city in LA might be Manhattan Beach. The median price of a single-family home there is $2.0 million. Manhattan Beach Home Prices and Home Values | Zillow

The bugs and the humidity would be a big adjustment but with this type of price differential some might view it as a bargain.
Why do you mention bugs? WHERE around Palm Beach County are there a lot of bugs? We've been here a year and have not noticed them at all.

We lived in Palos Verdes Estates and it was very expensive. But, we made out on our house!

CA is not that great, people who are stuck there say that. It USED to be a great place to live, but not anymore. It's changed.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:28 PM

52 posts, read 82,932 times
LOL!!! I am laughing because I dragged my LA born husband kicking and screaming to Florida from the West Coast...

Best thing is to try to live near the intercoastal or beach, if you can.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:17 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina702 View Post
LOL!!! I am laughing because I dragged my LA born husband kicking and screaming to Florida from the West Coast...

Best thing is to try to live near the intercoastal or beach, if you can.
How has he adjusted? Where do you live?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:23 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOL View Post

Why do you mention bugs? WHERE around Palm Beach County are there a lot of bugs? We've been here a year and have not noticed them at all.

We lived in Palos Verdes Estates and it was very expensive. But, we made out on our house!

CA is not that great, people who are stuck there say that. It USED to be a great place to live, but not anymore. It's changed.
I mention bugs because it is pretty evident there are tons more bugs in Florida than California. I hear a lot of complaints from people that have lived both places. Good to hear they've not been an issue for you.

Palos Verdes is a fantastic area (though a bit isolated for my tastes). So.California (LA in particular) has improved in some important aspects compared to 20 years ago: cleaner air, much lower crime and better/improving public transportation. Granted the housing/real estate is very expensive (more so than even 20 years ago relative to incomes).

Ok, so how about the humidity? That has to be one of the biggest (negative) "adjustments" one would have to make going from So.Calif to So. Fla.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:12 PM

23 posts, read 37,228 times
Jumping on this old thread to add my 2 cents...lived 25 years in LA (actual LA, not south bay, Palos Verdes, OC, etc...Hollywood, Miracle Mile, and mostly Silver Lake were the areas of the city I lived in) which was my entire adult and professional life. Two years ago burnt out on entertainment industry and the city (tho I still love it and it'll always be one of my homes) I took a flyer and moved to South Florida, West Palm Beach to be specific. A few thoughts -

It was a real culture shock at first. LA is such an image obsessed, media savvy, and creatively inclined city, to be in a place that is largely oblivious to these things was very disorienting. In fact PBC by and large is so NOT cutting edge that I find it refreshing, the ANTI-hip if you will. People are what the are almost totally at face value, and there is zero irony at play here. A dude with a bushy beard in a trucker hat and a lifted truck is that, not some ironic hipster playing "white trash". Rich people look like, well, rich people. And by the way there are lots of both of these types here Now, there are huge amounts of people very concerned with their image/status in PBC, but it revolves almost exclusively around money, as with most American places with the vast wealth there is here. Not, are you an up-and-coming artist, actor, writer, etc, the other things that carry social currency in places like LA and NYC. And frankly that's part of why I wanted out of LA, tired of being around people that acted like they were on stage 24/7, and obsessed with being or becoming "somebody". It's still an odd sense of being off the grid for me, but I'm used to it, and don't really care. And Miami has some of that and it's an hour drive south when I feel like a more urban vibe.

The weather - in short, I LOVE it. The summers get old about mid-late September for me, but by and large the heat and humidity don't bother me at all. I much prefer it to the heat waves that hit SoCal in late summer, where it's like being inside a grimy dusty clothes dryer. I also like the frequent summer storms, in LA thunderstorms are non-existent and it gets dull, day after day of sunny and 82 (believe it or not!) The winters here are in a word gorgeous, amazing perfect weather and the bluest sky I've ever seen. I also love swimming in the ocean year round, something I almost never did in LA even in summer (water freezing, beaches dirty, traffic-clogged hassle to get there.) I just don't like being cold, and it's much less cold here than there in winter.

Driving - horrendous in LA, mostly a total breeze here, except if you let the utterly terrible rude clueless SoFlo drivers get to you. LA it's all about as fast as possible, me me me all the way. Along with so many cars crammed on every road and street, it leads to major stress and endless terrible accidents. And the traffic is so bad it can't be exaggerated, my last job there was from home in Silver Lake to the Fox lot in Century City, which was 11 miles and took an hour in grinding street traffic every morning (a bit less at night as I'd work pretty late.) I don't even take traffic into consideration here when I plan, or look at traffic online before I head out. It's quite a bit worse in Broward and Miami, but even there not even close to LA levels of traffic hell.

People - I just don't get all the bitching here about how terrible people are here on these boards. Granted my bar is pretty low after almost two decades in the snake pit of show business. There is that unique LA brand of fake politeness that's missing and I had to get used to (those of you not from LA who think people there are "nice" after a visit or two, it takes a while to understand it's artifice, the automatic smile) but I've gotten used to and even like the more direct no BS east coast style here. And yes some people are flaky, and service can suck (it really sucks in Miami), and there are a lot of shady characters to avoid. Again I'm jaded from my years in LA and perhaps don't expect much of people in general, but I have found people here to be fine overall, and have met some really nice, cool, interesting people from all walks of life. I suggest discounting all the negativity if you move here and find out for yourself.

Working - I may not be the best to opine here, as I did something very specific to LA my entire first career, and now I'm doing something that's very specific and South Florida is a great place to do it in, dealing vintage furniture. So I'm not nor have ever (or since I was in college) been in the traditional "job market"...I can see how that would be tougher here than other metros of this size as it's so tourism, real estate, and service based. Find a niche and excel in it, you'll be rewarded here is the best I can add to that conversation.

Taxes/government - I never realized just how stifling the nanny state of CA really is, with it's rules, regulations, and red tape that treats everybody as if they're children. Or how much I'd appreciate being free of the high state income tax, 9.75% sales tax, $75.00 tickets for expired parking meters, etc. For which in return you get truly horrible services.

So there you have a few of my brilliant insights on a SoCal to SoFlo move! Cheers

Old 10-06-2015, 05:35 AM

216 posts, read 327,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideLA213 View Post
Jumping on this old thread to add my 2 cents...lived 25 years in LA (actual LA, not south bay, Palos Verdes, OC, etc...Hollywood, Miracle Mile, and mostly Silver Lake were the areas of the city I lived in) which was my entire adult and professional life. Two years ago burnt out on entertainment industry and the city (tho I still love it and it'll always be one of my homes) I took a flyer and moved to South Florida, West Palm Beach to be specific. A few thoughts -

It was a real culture shock at first. LA is such an image obsessed, media savvy, and creatively inclined city, to be in a place that is largely oblivious to these things was very disorienting. In fact PBC by and large is so NOT cutting edge that I find it refreshing, the ANTI-hip if you will. People are what the are almost totally at face value, and there is zero irony at play here. A dude with a bushy beard in a trucker hat and a lifted truck is that, not some ironic hipster playing "white trash". Rich people look like, well, rich people. And by the way there are lots of both of these types here Now, there are huge amounts of people very concerned with their image/status in PBC, but it revolves almost exclusively around money, as with most American places with the vast wealth there is here. Not, are you an up-and-coming artist, actor, writer, etc, the other things that carry social currency in places like LA and NYC. And frankly that's part of why I wanted out of LA, tired of being around people that acted like they were on stage 24/7, and obsessed with being or becoming "somebody". It's still an odd sense of being off the grid for me, but I'm used to it, and don't really care. And Miami has some of that and it's an hour drive south when I feel like a more urban vibe.

The weather - in short, I LOVE it. The summers get old about mid-late September for me, but by and large the heat and humidity don't bother me at all. I much prefer it to the heat waves that hit SoCal in late summer, where it's like being inside a grimy dusty clothes dryer. I also like the frequent summer storms, in LA thunderstorms are non-existent and it gets dull, day after day of sunny and 82 (believe it or not!) The winters here are in a word gorgeous, amazing perfect weather and the bluest sky I've ever seen. I also love swimming in the ocean year round, something I almost never did in LA even in summer (water freezing, beaches dirty, traffic-clogged hassle to get there.) I just don't like being cold, and it's much less cold here than there in winter.

Driving - horrendous in LA, mostly a total breeze here, except if you let the utterly terrible rude clueless SoFlo drivers get to you. LA it's all about as fast as possible, me me me all the way. Along with so many cars crammed on every road and street, it leads to major stress and endless terrible accidents. And the traffic is so bad it can't be exaggerated, my last job there was from home in Silver Lake to the Fox lot in Century City, which was 11 miles and took an hour in grinding street traffic every morning (a bit less at night as I'd work pretty late.) I don't even take traffic into consideration here when I plan, or look at traffic online before I head out. It's quite a bit worse in Broward and Miami, but even there not even close to LA levels of traffic hell.

People - I just don't get all the bitching here about how terrible people are here on these boards. Granted my bar is pretty low after almost two decades in the snake pit of show business. There is that unique LA brand of fake politeness that's missing and I had to get used to (those of you not from LA who think people there are "nice" after a visit or two, it takes a while to understand it's artifice, the automatic smile) but I've gotten used to and even like the more direct no BS east coast style here. And yes some people are flaky, and service can suck (it really sucks in Miami), and there are a lot of shady characters to avoid. Again I'm jaded from my years in LA and perhaps don't expect much of people in general, but I have found people here to be fine overall, and have met some really nice, cool, interesting people from all walks of life. I suggest discounting all the negativity if you move here and find out for yourself.

Working - I may not be the best to opine here, as I did something very specific to LA my entire first career, and now I'm doing something that's very specific and South Florida is a great place to do it in, dealing vintage furniture. So I'm not nor have ever (or since I was in college) been in the traditional "job market"...I can see how that would be tougher here than other metros of this size as it's so tourism, real estate, and service based. Find a niche and excel in it, you'll be rewarded here is the best I can add to that conversation.

Taxes/government - I never realized just how stifling the nanny state of CA really is, with it's rules, regulations, and red tape that treats everybody as if they're children. Or how much I'd appreciate being free of the high state income tax, 9.75% sales tax, $75.00 tickets for expired parking meters, etc. For which in return you get truly horrible services.

So there you have a few of my brilliant insights on a SoCal to SoFlo move! Cheers
Well said. I agree with your post. I lived in LA (real LA as well years ago - Cheviot Hills to be exact). I agree with your observations. I think the people here are more real whether good or bad. I find that refreshing, even comforting as I know where someone stands and who they really are. The traffic is is near non-existent compared to SoCal. There is a sense of living your own life and not the government trying to tell you how to live and taxing you to pay for it. I'm fine with the weather as well. The ocean in LA is cold and often chilly and foggy in the mornings even in summer. This area is not for everyone but I love it.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 PM

981 posts, read 898,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideLA213 View Post

Driving - horrendous in LA, mostly a total breeze here, except if you let the utterly terrible rude clueless SoFlo drivers get to you. LA it's all about as fast as possible, me me me all the way. Along with so many cars crammed on every road and street, it leads to major stress and endless terrible accidents. And the traffic is so bad it can't be exaggerated, my last job there was from home in Silver Lake to the Fox lot in Century City, which was 11 miles and took an hour in grinding street traffic every morning (a bit less at night as I'd work pretty late.) I don't even take traffic into consideration here when I plan, or look at traffic online before I heaod out. It's quite a bit worse in Broward and Miami, but even there not even close to LA levels of traffic hell.

100%+ SPOT ON! On another note, husband and I love vintage furniture, particularly mid century modern. Any chance your shop is in WPB? Some great shops there, we love that area and almost bought our house there vs. Delray. Delray won due to my husbands commute, but we often wish we had done it anyway as this was back in 2011 when the prices were so rock bottom in the historic districts of WPB.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 3,984 times
Hi,
I am currently in LA and am going to be moving to this area late Feb, early March 2016. I will be working from home so where I live will not be an issue. I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment. What are the average prices, do you know? Here in LA, I share a 2 bdr I will be able to afford up to 1000/mo. Am I dreaming or are there places that rent for that? What is the biggest difference you have found coming from LA to FL?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Acwcutie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach