Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,982 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm creating this thread because I'm considering moving to [Boca Raton] for work. I'm currently living in Petaluma, CA (45 mins north of San Francisco) and I wanted to get a general idea of people that may have gone through this kind of moving before.

What is Boca like? Safe? Nice? Expensive? Is it really that humid as people say?

I also have a big concern regarding my cars, would it be better selling them here and buying something there? (considering the taxes are lower)

Thanks to whoever can provide some insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 12:38 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,632,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriansmitto View Post
Hi, I'm creating this thread because I'm considering moving to [Boca Raton] for work. I'm currently living in Petaluma, CA (45 mins north of San Francisco) and I wanted to get a general idea of people that may have gone through this kind of moving before.

What is Boca like? Safe? Nice? Expensive? Is it really that humid as people say?

I also have a big concern regarding my cars, would it be better selling them here and buying something there? (considering the taxes are lower)

Thanks to whoever can provide some insight
I lived in Boca for about 8 years before moving to miami. It's a definitely a very nice town. I enjoyed living there. It's mostly upper/middle class and has plenty do to and see. Excellent shopping, Neatly manicured houses and sub-divisions, nice roads, Cute parks, nice beaches. It's a very self-contained city, meaning you could technically live your life within boca without ever really having to leave.

You want high end shopping? you've got it
You want the beach? you've got it?
You want Wholefoods/trader Joes/organic eating? You've got it?
You want lushly landscaped public and residential places? you've got it?
Nice medical facilities.
Easy access to miami/fort lauderdale and west palm beach.
Good schools, nice restaurants.

Yes, it's as humid as people say it is.... it's Florida. You should feel how humid it is today.. Lovely.
However, so what? that's what air conditioning is for and the winters are glorious... Summers are hot and humid, but the waters and beaches are superb. Definitely expect daily thunderstorms (sometimes dramatic and violent) and lots of heavy downpours. Some days it'll be raining at your house and 5 minutes down the road it's sunny and hasn't rained at all. Overall, Boca is one of the nicer areas of south FL.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:09 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,928,597 times
I lived in W Boca for 10 years and liked it until we had hurricanes 3 years in a row with a lot of damage in 2005. You will find S Florida has 50% of the population is from New York City. The humidity is rough but it is a very pretty city with reasonable cost of living. You will not be doing weekend trips outside the state because it takes 9+hours just to leave the state.
The taxes are low and there are lots of very nice restaurants and some nice New York type delis.
A lot of companies have headquarters in Boca and there is a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$ in Boca. I lived in W Boca about 5 miles from the ocean which has warm water unlike Ca which is freezing.
East Boca is older construction but closer to the water, it was not expensive to register my car so you may consider bringing both.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,394,240 times
OP be SURE to come and spend some time here, preferably in the summer and during season, so you can see how you like it.
Best of luck!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:02 PM

158 posts, read 215,412 times
Moving to a new city that you have never visited is always a good idea.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,161,240 times
Very nice area. And it's booming. Good economy.

South Florida cities make list of fastest-growing economies in US - Sun Sentinel

Old 10-01-2015, 06:40 AM

16,986 posts, read 21,662,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Your link is pay only.......but keep in mind Boca has been boom/bust for decades on jobs. At one point IBM was the biggest employer and when they left town there were lots of former IBM employees that were unemployed. Office Depot was a huge employer but if the Staples merger goes through I wonder if Boca will be left behind again.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:25 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,019,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post
Moving to a new city that you have never visited is always a good idea.

I agree. You could move here and then find out your not happy with something and then your stuck until your lease is up or if you bought something....your very stuck. You should travel and see how you like it. I did and my happy place is not Delray anymore~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach