Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:25 AM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times

Advertisements

Delray's great, we love Atlantic St. and the many restaurant choices.

Hudson at Waterway makes great cocktails. On the water, at sunset, what's not to like?

(p.s. apparently there's all new mgmt., chef, etc.--our server said the last regime was not good and the restaurant suffered.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:11 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfan1 View Post
Hi all,

I know the overwhelming opinion on Delray is that it's a great place to live. I'm considering moving there from Miami. I rarely read anything genuinely negative about Delray.

Still, I have a question. Considering that I have always lived in a big city like Miami (Im SWM mid 40s), I sometimes wonder if I will get "Small Town Syndrome" living in Delray. I guess I'm fearful that I'll get bored fast because it's a small area.

Does anyone have any insight on moving to Delray from a large city?

Many thx.

I don't think you will notice that it is not a big city like Miami. The traffic is bad in places and probably like Miami from what I recall last time I was there. The homeless and the people in rehabs in the only issues that I see would or could be a problem, but you probably have that in Miami too. Things would be less of a drive to get to places in a small city compared to a large city.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,614 times
How bad is train noise? I was looking at a place about three blocks from the tracks near downtown.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:40 PM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
we are about .5 mile from the tracks and the noise has really risen to almost intolerable levels. not only are the trains more frequent but in the January timeframe they "upgraded" (at least for FEC railway) their train engines which included new whistles which are much louder than the older trains. there have been numerous complaints across palm beach county where the FEC had the new whistles tested, but of course they found that they are within the legal range of acceptable decibel ratings so of course they won't do anything to mitigate. and it is only going to get worse as the FEC plans to increase the freight traffic once the All Aboard Florida initiative gets underway and they upgrade the track lines to handle consumer rail which not surprisingly will allow them to run more freight. supposedly, this will come with quiet zones across palm beach county but of course the downside of that is that there will be 50+ trains a day running through Delray. and an important note, we have the highest rated hurricane rated windows throughout our home and it sounds like it is in my living room.

Train horn noise from FECR engines expensive to mitigate. | www.mypalmbeachpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach