Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 AM

16 posts, read 26,813 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving from Santa Monica, Calif to Delray Beach in a new 5000 sq. ft. home (Seven Bridges) but want to get a better sense of what the true underlying cost will be. Can someone kindly give me ballpark figures on the following:

Pool maintenance
Gardener
Electric bill
Water bill
Gas bill
Cable bill
Property tax
Full coverage Homeowner insurance (5000 sq. ft.)
Housekeeping
Handymen cost and anything else I left off.

Last thing what is your opinion of Olympic Heights High School vs. Spanish River?
Much appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,102 times
Pool maintenance- $75 -$100/month
Gardener - $15 hour full time
Electric bill- 200 to $350/month
Water bill- $75/ month
Gas bill- Most places don't have gas
Cable bill - $120/month
Property tax- 2% of sales price
Full coverage Homeowner insurance (5000 sq. ft.)- Newer homes about 1% of sales price(built after 2005) You need a wind mitigation report to find out cost of your insurance.
Housekeeping -$25/hour
Handymen cost and anything else I left off.
A few websites to look at property taxes
[url=http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/PAPA/index.htm]Property Appraiser, Palm Beach County, Florida, USA[/url]
BocaRatonHomeSeller.com

Read more: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-palm-beach-boca-raton-boynton/2554973-move-boca-raton-delray-beach-santa.html#ixzz44FBsazNF[/url]

Old 03-28-2016, 05:56 PM

38 posts, read 53,973 times
Jim pretty much got it right! Seven bridges is a beautiful community and in a very nice part of town. Lots of new construction on Lyons Rd.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:59 AM

Jim,

Thank you, thank you! You saved me a lot of guess work. It's much more reasonable than I thought. Most of the expenses are much more here in Santa Monica.

moWoW

Old 03-29-2016, 08:09 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,648,818 times
Spanish River is a markedly better high school than Olympic Heights.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 AM

20 posts, read 31,238 times
The Bridges is a very nice community. Jim is right on target with costs. As for schools, Spansh River is a higher rated school than Olympic Heights. The governor of Florida just passed a bill that will allow students to go to any school they choose, as long as there is room. This law goes into effect for the 2017-2018 school year, unless the student is in an athletic program, then it would be this year. The students would need their own transportation. This law would allow you child to go to Spanish River.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 23,030 times
Wow - homeowners insurance is really 1% of the sales price? So for a $400,000 house, you'd pay $4000 a year? I guess that's because of the hurricanes? I was looking at communities in Delray Beach - can anyone give me insight or recommendations on Hammock Reserve versus Polo Trace versus Aspen Ridge?

Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 AM

125 posts, read 195,680 times
I can share what we just received as full house insurance (including hurricane) quotes in The Bridges on a $1,150,000 house -- before the Wind Mitigation Report, the quote was $8300.

After the receipt of the Wind Mitigation Report (done at the same time as the house inspection), the quote is approx. $3200 -- not sure where this 1% of sales price estimate comes from since my original quote was less.

The insurance company is Amica but I don't think they are willing to write much coverage in Florida unless you are an existing client and/or if the house meets the guidelines. I was told our house in The Bridges met their guidelines before receiving a quote.

Good luck -- it is really important to have a house that is as hurricane-proof as possible.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:14 PM

Thanks to all for responding. We are still dreaming of moving to The Seven Bridges, but without getting into a better public school than the assigned school near the Seven Bridges, Olympic Heights, we might move towards a gated community in Parkland for our son to go to Douglas Stoneman. We researched the options of getting our 14 yr old into Spanish River HS, but it seems like we missed the opportunity to apply for the Choice program (lottery based) since we don't currently reside in FL. It's been tough figuring it all out from across the nation. We will be going back in June to look some more at other communities with the right school. I'm sure the insurance will be the same range as we plan on buying in a newer community similar to what the Seven Bridges offers (hopefully as structurally sound as GL Homes). So looking forward to getting back there to figure it all out. Boca was a possibility but most gated communities are have equity club cost and are older communities.

Continue with all comments - they're very helpful. THANKS.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:11 PM

500 posts, read 745,956 times
You might now want to rule out Olympic Heights completely. It has an Advanced Placement academy that is supposed to be quite rigorous. Maybe someone here has direct experience with it. Also, Palm Beach schools have several School Choice programs that can be quite good. My daughter was in the IB program at Atlantic High which was very good. Transportation is also provided. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach