Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,337,222 times

Advertisements

and..Ft Lauderdale?

What it's like living in WPB and Ft Lauderdale?
Is it a good idea for a young 18 year old male soon to be in College to move down their..(I know no one down there.)?
I am a Black Male so I know a lot us our into gangs..But I'm not that kind of person so are there any diverse urban medium crime areas around their?

BTW** I'm from South West Michigan..I dislike the weather and it's boring, I'm originally from Los Angeles but I moved to Michigan with my Mom when my Dad and her split..I go back to LA every 2 years to visit my dad but the city is CRAZY..so I'm deciding between Miami area and the LA area.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 AM

551 posts, read 3,122,782 times
WPB to FTL--46 miles, but it'll take you WELL over an hour. WPB to Miami--75 miles, but I'd say every bit of 2 hours...more or less depending on what time you go.

I've never heard of anyone looking for a "medium crime" area...but Fort Lauderdale probably suits that term more than Miami...Miami is a little more in the "high crime" category, but it is pretty much neighborhood specific. Stay in the decent areas and you'll have no problems at all.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:28 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
and..Ft Lauderdale?

Is it a good idea for a young 18 year old male soon to be in College to move down their..(I know no one down there.)?
I am a Black Male so I know a lot us our into gangs..But I'm not that kind of person so are there any diverse urban medium crime areas around their?
1. Horrible idea to move here without a job so young.
2. Anywhere in Broward County is diverse and their overall rate is similar to the national average, and in Palm Beach County the west Boynton and unincorporated areas of WPB are safe and diverse. Although theres some guy who comes on here that claims that ALL of the streets and stores are owned by armed thug rebels .
3. It royally sucks to live here if you don't have more than 800 a month for rent. But if you can pull in a decent income, it can be a dynamic place to live and if you pick the right location, you can have a decent quality of life.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 PM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,337,222 times
Thanks..Just sick of the weather and the boringness of Michigan..

I might just move back to Los Angeles with my Dad.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:40 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
Downtown Miami to WPB on I-95 at 4AM takes exactly one hour. This is with the roads wide open and no traffic at all. During the day it is one and a half to two hours though. FLL to Miami or vice versa at this time is also around 30 minutes no traffic. Peak travel times it will be closer to an hour to an hour and a half.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:48 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Check out Google maps for distances and also to check out various areas and communities. South Florida is a diverse area and like any place, it is what you make of it. Yes, it is expensive and it is difficult to get around unless you have a car or bike.

If you have a vision of what you want in life and where you want to be - you will succeed. If Florida is where you want to be then go for it - just make sure you plan and plan thoroughly.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 44,013 times
I live here in Royal Palm Beach, and I must say it is absolute paradise to me. It does get very hot and humid in july and august though. But it is worth it when you don't have to deal with snow like alomst everypne else in the country. Always being close to a beach is a plus too. And downtown WPB is great, a little exensive, but always something to do here. Good luck.
Oh and now is the time to buy a house. You can get a large single family home on an over an acre for under 200.000.00

Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 38,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
and..Ft Lauderdale?

BTW** I'm from South West Michigan..I dislike the weather and it's boring, I'm originally from Los Angeles but I moved to Michigan with my Mom when my Dad and her split..I go back to LA every 2 years to visit my dad but the city is CRAZY..so I'm deciding between Miami area and the LA area.
Im an african american female also and to say to the world that most of us are in gangs is really putting your race down. Regardless of what area you go to in the United States and throughout the world you are going to find people that are not african american that have a negative idea of what african american people are like and how they live. My point is that the world is stereo typing your race and putting it down enough they dont need our help its time for us to lift ourselves up. I pray that you have much success wherever you go but please dont have the same attitude when it comes to african american people.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 31,216 times
How are the shelters in florida I came to florida to find a shcool My freind I was supposed to stay with had to leave due to family buisness can i survive here and how fast can I get a job

Old 10-17-2011, 07:43 PM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
To move to Florida broke, with no job, no extended network is a disaster waiting to happen....Florida is full of people with burnt out dreams.

Everyone dreams of moving to Flariduh to rent beach chairs to tourists and become a millionaire overnight....when in reality they will be working a low wage job, struggling to get by and won't have any time to even go to the beach!

For the college bound, they want to go to FSU or UF, party, get a degree with 40,000 other kids and then land that high paying dream job at age 22! In reality they will have 100K in student loans (out of state tuition), stay 5 years to get a 4 year degree, be waiting tables at Chilis because they can't get a job with their political science degree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach