Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 714 times

Advertisements

Hello all wish you all are in a good health. As shown in the title I'm an international student going to attend FAU and so far I do not almost where to live. I'm looking for a neighborhood that is really safe which is number one for me. Another is the need for markets, shops, restaurants to not far. I have looked through websites and found out that around FAU isn't safe and As i haven't been there before I don't know really where to live in ?
Please help me to find a good place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM

530 posts, read 667,240 times
Does FAU have some sort of contact information for you so that you can ask questions such as where to live, etc? They might also be able to provide you with the name(s) of student(s) who would be willing to address your concerns. Also, why don't you look online for some houses of worship in the area of FAU that you might be inclined to attend and see if they can give you some advice on housing, etc. Who knows, they may have families who are willing to host students from other countries.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:12 AM

63 posts, read 91,908 times
Look around Delray beach as a lot of FAU students live there since there are a lot of restaurants. Be sure to ask around as some areas in Delray are not safe.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:09 AM

110 posts, read 110,228 times
Being that FAU is as large as it is, students that are living off campus are scattered throughout Broward and Palm Beach counties. I have seen more students in the northern parts of Deerfield Beach and in part of Delray Beach. You are really looking at a competitive area and depending on your price range and how far you are able to commute is really going to factor into what is going to work best for you.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:38 AM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
I teach at FAU. Many students rent nearby with no mishaps.

If you do not have a car, find a rental search site with a map. Live in walking distance of FAU (if you do not have a car) and you can walk slightly more than a mile from FAU down 20th St to a grocery store, Publix, across 20th St. I suppose it might be better not to do this at 2 AM but this is a populated area with people out and about. Delray Beach is much further away. The idea that inexpensive areas of Deerfield or Delray are "safe" is not tenable.

The Publix on 20th St is in a strip mall with restaurants and drugstore (CVS). There are many amenities, maybe not around the corner but about 3/4 mile to the east, not just in the strip mall with Publix but all along Federal Highway. Bicycles are not that safe in this area, all the places mentioned. Walking is less pleasant but probably safer.

Just my thoughts as a long time FAU teacher.

Edited later to add: In the Student Dining areas there are a number of options for buying take out from national chains, too. If you will not have a car (few of our international students do) rent as close to campus as possible. FAU provides several shuttle buses a day to get students over to nearby grocery stores. Check the details from your department--

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 11-06-2016 at 12:21 PM..

Old 11-12-2016, 08:32 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I graduated from FAu and spent four years in Boca... The area around FAU is absolutely safe in my opinion, albeit expensive. There are apartments right outside FAU, one in particular called "Casa del rio"...another called "UPark" or "University Park"...they're expensive-ish, but they are all-inclusive, meaning it comes furnished and with wifi, cable, electric, water, everything you need...just bring your toothbrush and clothes.

Also, maybe visit the international student office on FAU's campus as they may have resources for you. I knew quite a few international students while attending FAU and they all seemed happy.

Have you considered living on campus? I know FAU has the university village apartments and while they're not like a major bargain, they're pretty reasonably priced compared to their other, more expensive res. halls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach