Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:08 AM

69 posts, read 111,273 times

Advertisements

Got my job offer in Boca Raton. Is Boca Raton a good place to move (from DC region) ? Is it good for families? MD and DC suburbs have great schools and good IT job market. So definitely looking for the suburbs that have good schools and great housing at affordable prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 01:34 PM

26,825 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Boca Raton has very good public schools (a 9 out of 10 on GreatSchools) and is very family-friendly. Coming form the DC/MD suburbs you'll find housing quite the bargain relatively speaking. The northwest side tends nicest in my opinion between Clint Moore Rd and Yamato Rd east of the Florida Turnpike, or the same area extended beyond the Turnpike in unincorporated Boca.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:14 PM

69 posts, read 111,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Boca Raton has very good public schools (a 9 out of 10 on GreatSchools) and is very family-friendly. Coming form the DC/MD suburbs you'll find housing quite the bargain relatively speaking. The northwest side tends nicest in my opinion between Clint Moore Rd and Yamato Rd east of the Florida Turnpike, or the same area extended beyond the Turnpike in unincorporated Boca.
Thanks for your response!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:26 AM

216 posts, read 324,730 times
Depending on your job location, Parkland is a great area for raising a family. A bit further from the beach but otherwise nice, clean, great schools and family friendly.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,369,037 times
Move to the Palm Beach Forum.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 PM

782 posts, read 752,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post
Got my job offer in Boca Raton. Is Boca Raton a good place to move (from DC region) ? Is it good for families? MD and DC suburbs have great schools and good IT job market. So definitely looking for the suburbs that have good schools and great housing at affordable prices.
Not unless you are bringing your DC Salary with you and that DC Salary is substantial and not below average.

Publics schools are a mixed bag, most people that can afford it send their kids to private schools but that's not low cost.

Houses are not affordable unless you are making substantial income especially in the affluent/desirable parts. Again affordable is subjective based on what you are earning.

Jobs in SoFla or opportunity is dismal for many along with salaries. If you work in some fields you can do well, local Govt, Fire Rescue, Medical and a handful of other professions.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,843,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post
Boca Raton is a suburb. SoFL is a complete suburb. There are no city areas. Just a street or two in each "downtown area."

A good house in a decent neighborhood starts at $300K. Schools are decent. Lots of traffic. LOTS of traffic. Did I say traffic?? Yep. Check maps for commute to work and see what neighborhoods are there.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:55 PM

782 posts, read 752,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Lots of traffic. LOTS of traffic. Did I say traffic?? Yep. Check maps for commute to work and see what neighborhoods are there.
Don't worry it will be getting worse in due time too, cannot say I miss my commute there at all, my stress levels have dropped substantially.

South Florida plan for traffic: We're going to make them suffer- Sun Sentinel

Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,843,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Don't worry it will be getting worse in due time too, cannot say I miss my commute there at all, my stress levels have dropped substantially.

South Florida plan for traffic: We're going to make them suffer- Sun Sentinel
I've never understood this mentality. Mass transit only works when there is ONE destination. people work everywhere in SoFL. Mass transit will never work. So you take the train .... and then what ... pay for a cab to drive you to work the rest of the way?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,775,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I've never understood this mentality. Mass transit only works when there is ONE destination. people work everywhere in SoFL. Mass transit will never work. So you take the train .... and then what ... pay for a cab to drive you to work the rest of the way?
Please stop making too much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach