Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,405,850 times

Advertisements

There was an unfortunate incident today during a test run. I guess someone in Boca decided to do suicide-by-train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:09 AM

981 posts, read 895,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
There was an unfortunate incident today during a test run. I guess someone in Boca decided to do suicide-by-train.
OMG so awful, heart goes out to that poor person and their family and friends.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 AM

66 posts, read 116,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You're not exposing anything.

There is no need to veil a request for increased freight on the tracks by utilizing passenger service as a ploy.

Want to know why? BECAUSE THEY CAN INCREASE FREIGHT WHENEVER THEY WANT!

In fact, freight traffic just a few years ago was even more than it is today.

There also already exist railway funds and government programs to do track upgrades, etc. without having to do everything they are doing. If there IS an ulterior motive it's to make money off their landholdings adjacent to stations. Such as the apartment tower they are building next to the West Palm beach station.

Get over it. The tracks were there before you were. I live inbetween the CSX AND the FEC tracks and actually look forward to the quiet zones being implemented once this project gets up and running. THAT is my biggest gripe living near the tracks. I am otherwise more inconvenienced by drawbridges in my daily life.
Ha...easy tiger...I didn't write the article.

They've failed to sell bonds on three separate occasions. They've produced a BS ridership study with inflated numbers. They aren't going to come close to filling those trains. But you'd support the taxpayers being on the hook for 1.75B in loans so they can knock out the track improvements they want for panamax freight?

Good on ya.
The passenger service approach is a sham in broad daylight and everyone knows it. Just calling a spade a spade...I don't really care much other than the OBVIOUS safety concerns and the fact that the Jupiter and Stuart rail bridges will fail and/or cause massive boat traffic issues.

But if it gets us another passenger service that no one ever rides...we win???

Old 07-28-2017, 08:38 PM

7,776 posts, read 10,119,833 times
Quote:
You're not exposing anything.

There is no need to veil a request for increased freight on the tracks by utilizing passenger service as a ploy.

Want to know why? BECAUSE THEY CAN INCREASE FREIGHT WHENEVER THEY WANT!
This conspiracy theory is a pretty far out one, but I've heard it a few times. But the whole discussion is moot now though because FECI doesn't run freight anymore. They sold the entire business to a Mexican corp. You would think the conspiracy theory would be dead lol, but I guess marms and klaucka aren't up to date. Brightline has absolutely zero connection of any kind to any freight carrier.

Meanwhile, FECI has unveiled their multifamily real estate plans, which is the actual business they've been targeting all along.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 PM

387 posts, read 513,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavves71 View Post
Any idea if the Miami-West Palm Beach to Orlando Brightline train is going to happen? If so has there ever been any talk of adding a Boca/Delray Brightline station?
I've lived PT in East Boca for 14 yrs, love it. But my #1 gripe has always been traffic & #2 lack of Mass transit. I have wished for yrs they could connect the downtowns with a train or light rail system. It might unclog 95, at least offer an option to avoid driving. Try-Rail runs through Boca, would it be that hard for a stop downtown near Camino Real,Palmetto or Glades? Where pedestrians could access it instead of driving to Deerfield Beach or miles from downtown Boca out to Yamato Rd. Commuter trains should be convenient . Southern California runs a coastal Amtrak, Coaster, Sprinter,etc trains that connect many Villages, & cities between San Diego & San Fran, that don't drop you off miles from a city. It's time for someone to fix the traffic mess or at least try by using commuter trains, Brightline I'd hoped might be a help, guess not.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,800,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmsd1 View Post
Ha...easy tiger...I didn't write the article.

They've failed to sell bonds on three separate occasions. They've produced a BS ridership study with inflated numbers. They aren't going to come close to filling those trains. But you'd support the taxpayers being on the hook for 1.75B in loans so they can knock out the track improvements they want for panamax freight?

Good on ya.
The passenger service approach is a sham in broad daylight and everyone knows it. Just calling a spade a spade...I don't really care much other than the OBVIOUS safety concerns and the fact that the Jupiter and Stuart rail bridges will fail and/or cause massive boat traffic issues.

But if it gets us another passenger service that no one ever rides...we win???
Where did this "fact" come from?

Old 07-30-2017, 05:14 PM

194 posts, read 426,287 times
"Meanwhile, FECI has unveiled their multifamily real estate plans, which is the actual business they've been targeting all along."

To the poster with this comment I say, "BINGO". This is exactly what this is all about. They did not build train platforms they built ultra-modern train stations and they built brand new trains to start a new train service. What adjoins the stations in both the West Palm and Miami stations on land owned by Brightline, new residential and retail development. The 23 story building going up in downtown West Palm is there's and in Miami there are plans are much, much bigger and more ambitious. This has very little to do with freight trains, it is actually about passenger train service and making it work so as to increase the value of the land and properties sprouting up around the three stations and any future stations they may consider.
BTW to the poster referencing an article by the "Chairman of Citizens against Rail Expansion in Florida", I sure that was really an article giving both sides of the story.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:01 PM

981 posts, read 895,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
This conspiracy theory is a pretty far out one, but I've heard it a few times. But the whole discussion is moot now though because FECI doesn't run freight anymore. They sold the entire business to a Mexican corp. You would think the conspiracy theory would be dead lol, but I guess marms and klaucka aren't up to date. Brightline has absolutely zero connection of any kind to any freight carrier.

Meanwhile, FECI has unveiled their multifamily real estate plans, which is the actual business they've been targeting all along.
I hope this is the case w the freight, but I am still hearing freight trains every day.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:10 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,680,576 times
Quote:
If there IS an ulterior motive it's to make money off their landholdings adjacent to stations. Such as the apartment tower they are building next to the West Palm beach station.
That's not even an ulterior motive. It's literally a method of financing the service. It's a model similar to how the old streetcar systems made their money, and how some private transit companies make their money. Heck, tons of public transit agencies today are using this method of Transit Oriented Development to supplement their other revenue streams and improve access to amenities near their stations.

I hope FEC builds a Brightline station up here in Melbourne. I'd love to be able to take the train to the Orlando airport instead of driving. It'd also add some more, much appreciated, life to our rather small downtown.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM

596 posts, read 1,237,457 times
A stop somewhere in Indian River County a.k.a. treasure coast would sure have been a help since we have no transportation from here to Miami, nor Orlando 😕
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach