Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 AM

173 posts, read 680,820 times

Advertisements

I tell you, I was just looking at some real estate photos of different communities around PBG, and I have to say that is one of the loveliest places in Palm Beach county, all hands down. It looks like a cross between Boca and Delray, in the way that it has that sophisticated look and hometown charm that Boca has, and it has that sort of colorful, artsy type of look that Delray has. It seems to share some characteristics of the better parts of West Palm Beach as well. All in all, it seems to just takes the best characteristics out of all of those 3. I'm surprised most locals don't live up there instead of anywhere else in SoFl. Seriously. Do any of you live there or have anyone of you visited there? How is it?

I DID have my heart set on moving to Boca, but after seeing this place I'm starting to have second thoughts. lol (Although I'm not going to toss the idea of moving to Boca completely, because every place that I had interest in for a while and chose to move to, my heart ALWAYS brought me back to Boca for a number of reasons. Some of you on here already know about that. lol).

I hate that it's so far north up in PB county though (Especially HEARING that most good jobs are further down south in PB county, which would make one hell of a nightmare-rish commute), but I hear it's ALOT less congested than other SoFl cities due to it being away from it all (FOR NOW anyway.), which is a big reason why I'm now starting to consider it over Boca.

If I move there, I'm looking to move to a community out in the western half of the city so that I won't have to pay for the higher insurance of living near the beach (That's providing how BIG the city is though. If it's about the size of Boca and has a western section that's more inland, then that's good news). Hopefully if I do choose to move there, I can land in a community with an abundance of shade trees along with have the tropical look as well (Gloomy or plain areas don't work well for me).

* Overall, is the city family oriented?

* Does it have any nature parks and stuff, like the beach parks of Boca. Spanish River park for example (I think that's the name). I love places like those.

* Does it have good jobs WITHIN the city limits?

* I'm young in my early 20s, but not into the club scene at all. I'm more into just maybe hanging out with a few friends at a few bars or the movies along with shopping at upscale malls. I'm also into just cruising around town at night without having to run into any thug wannabes who like to cause trouble or what not. Does this city match this requirement?

* Are the locals snobbish (You know, I actually see this as a plus, because in most cities where people are more snobby and upper class, you have less chance of finding a whole bunch of young thug or wannabe thug types running around...ooh I hate that type of crowd. Like I have said before in other topics, I would rather live in a city with a bunch of new money snobs than new money thugs ANYDAY.)?,

* Most of all, tell me something that is NOT good about the city. Every city has something wrong with it in some form that locals have to be aware of. Like certain areas to avoid or something you know. I already know that it's really close to Riviera Beach and West Palm Beach......two areas that I hope to never venture into but other info will help as well thanks.

* Less importantly, are there any high rise buildings or condos within the city or on the beach front? I know it sounds dumb, but that type of thing attracts me, as I am the type that likes to go out cruising at night and just sometimes look at the skylines and stuff.

I'm not looking to move right now, as I am still saving up for a good downpayment, but when I do decide to move, I will hunt for something within the $230k price range. No higher than that, and no lower than 220k range, because homes under that price range in Fl tend to be shacks pretty much.

Thanks.

Last edited by rickyd; 03-16-2008 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 10:43 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
It's not "A lot less congested" than other South Florida cities. That's just the PGA Blvd bias. PGA Blvd is pretty much the same as Glades Rd. Other than that, the only real glaring flaw is it's proximity to Riviera Beach (which is the WORST neighborhood between Northlake Blvd and Dade County) and that the people can be snobby and uptight, I mean like at a Boca level. Go in the Gradens Mall and try and hold the door for somebody. If you don't get an at least slightly dirty look, I would be surprised. And I happen to be a very well dressed person, so no, that's not the reason. I have been in the other shopping centers and, well, I would rate that area a perfect 10 out of 10 in the arrogance meter. Other than that, there really is nothing wrong with that area. It's a great place.

I wouldn't say Boca really has a "charm" to it either, I dunno...

Old 03-16-2008, 10:56 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Well, ask yourself this. Have been to downtown Palm Beach Gardens? Is there even a downtown? City hall? Town square? Park and walk from shop to shop? The answer, of course, is no. It's not a real town. It's a bedroom community of subdivisions and strip centers and malls.

So it's not really a city. It's a designation on a map.

If that's what you are looking for, then great. But don't fool yourself.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyd View Post
I tell you, I was just looking at some real estate photos of different communities around PBG, and I have to say that is one of the loveliest places in Palm Beach county, all hands down. It looks like a cross between Boca and Delray, in the way that it has that sophisticated look and hometown charm that Boca has, and it has that sort of colorful, artsy type of look that Delray has. I'm surprised most people don't live up there instead.

Do any of you live there or has anyone of you visited there? How is it? I DID have my heart set on moving to Boca, but after seeing this place I'm starting to have second thoughts. lol (Although I'm not going to toss the idea of moving to Boca completely, because every place that I had interest in for a while and chose to move to, my heart ALWAYS brought me back to Boca. Some of you on here already know about that. lol).

I hate that it's so far north up in PB county (Especially HEARING that most good jobs are further down south in PB county, which would make one hell of a nightmare-rish commute), but I hear it's ALOT less congested than the rest of SoFl cities due to it being away from it all (FOR NOW, in the next few years as people discover it, it will probably be just as congested), which is a big reason why I'm now starting to consider it over Boca.

If I move there, I'm looking to move to a community out in the western half of the city so that I won't have to pay for the higher insurance of living near the beach (That's providing how BIG the city is though. If it's about the size of Boca and has a western section that's more inland, then that's good news).

* Overall, is the city family oriented?

* Does it have good jobs WITHIN the city? I'm young but not into the club scenes at all. I'm more into just maybe hanging out with a few friends or just driving around town without having to run into any thugs or what not, would that be a safety issue in the city?

* Are the locals snobbish (You know, I actually see this as a plus, because in most cities where people are more snobby and upper class, you have less chance of finding a whole bunch of young thug types running around...ooh I hate them.)?,

* most of all, tell me something that is NOT good about the city. Every city has something wrong with it in some form that locals have to be aware of. Like certain areas to avoid or something. You know...

* Less importantly, are there any high rise buildings or condos within the city or on the beach front? I know it sounds dumb, but that type of thing attracts me, as I am the type that likes to go out cruising at night and just sometimes look at the skylines and stuff.

Thanks.
I have been to PBG. It's nice in a generic sort of way. I haven't spent alot of time there. Most of my experience is limited to a weekend my husband and I spent at the PGA resort and a few lacrosse games that my kids played there.

I am a student at FAU and I have some friends who commute to the Boca campus and they say there is a ton of traffic between PBG and Boca. I don't know much about where the jobs are in Palm Beach County but I think West Palm Beach is a big employment center and it is really close to PBG.

In Broward county there is no insurance discount for living out west (inland). maybe PBC is different.

If you want snobby Boca is the right place for you. It's crazy snobby in Boca. I find zero charm in Boca, but lots of people like it there. You couldn't pay me to live in Boca.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:07 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times
I'm moving to PBG (way out west near PGA national). I'd probably say that Lilybeans is partially correct in the description. But that's what some people are looking for. I don't want to live anywhere near a downtown if I can help it. Keep the drunkards, tourists and loudmusic away from me at all costs. If I want to party, there are tons of restaurants and nightlife in the area. Legacy place, RCA blvd, Downtown and the Gardens provides plenty of entertainment and its only minutes away. If I need anything more, I can head further south.

As far as jobs are concerned, I'm a coordinator at non for profit and I mainly work from home. The main office is a 10 minute commute from 95 so it's never a problem. I'm single so my view on what I'm looking for may be different than someone else's but I think the op pretty much knows what he's looking for.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Wow, those were fast replies. I was still actually editing my post, before I found out that anyone replied. lol

Anyway, I thank you all for your answers VERY MUCH.

In other forum topics (Which I just happened to come across and had nothing to do with me asking the question), some people said that they would choose PBG over Boca any day, but from the tone I'm getting here in this topic by judging the answers, there is really not too much difference between PBG and Boca, besides PBG being prettier and a little less traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

In Broward county there is no insurance discount for living out west (inland). maybe PBC is different. .
I'm not saying there is no discount on insurance for living more inland, but at least you don't have to pay alot more just to live close to the beach.

Last edited by rickyd; 03-16-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying there is no discount on insurance for living more inland, but at least you don't have to pay alot more just to live close to the beach.
I think we pay the same as we would pay in Fort Lauderdale and we are 25 miles inland.

I am a truly anti Boca person so unless you want to live in the hood I'll probably recommend anywhere but Boca.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I think we pay the same as we would pay in Fort Lauderdale and we are 25 miles inland.

I am a truly anti Boca person so unless you want to live in the hood I'll probably recommend anywhere but Boca.

I could've sworn that living on the beachfront meant that you had to pay higher insurance.

I didn't know so many people had issues with Boca, or is it that they have issues with the PEOPLE in Boca.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I could've sworn that living on the beachfront meant that you had to pay higher insurance.

I didn't know so many people had issues with Boca, or is it that they have issues with the PEOPLE in Boca.
Get quotes from an insurance agent. I think we pay roughly the same prems as dh's partner who lives in Ft. Lauderdale.

I don't like Boca because it's very congested and the people are snotty. There are also way to many old folks there, which makes it difficult to do anything with kids without getting the evil eye.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I don't like Boca because it's very congested and the people are snotty. There are also way to many old folks there, which makes it difficult to do anything with kids without getting the evil eye.
I can understand the congested part, which is the biggest reason why I am looking to move to PBG instead of Boca as I first planned, because North PB county is supposed to be a little less crowded (I can only say it by from what I am told).

As far as too many old people in Boca goes in relation to raising young children, it is better to have your kids around older people (Even if they are snotty) rather than a bunch of young people who are involved in gangster culture, because it cannot be denied that alot of kids these days are being brought up with that way of life. It's better to take the former over the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach