Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 AM

64 posts, read 222,863 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Barcelona, Spain and will be relocating back to the US soon. I have previously lived in Miami/LA/DC and loved the nightlife, diversity and progression of the cities. However, I want to find a location that is a little slower paced and still offers many interesting places to go and people to see! What would be a good description of the people who reside in the Palm Beach area? Is it mostly blondes and bathing suits, an area primarily focused on boobs and beach?....or is there a different angle to the vibe in this area?

Thanks for any info!

L*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,230,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourdea View Post
I am currently living in Barcelona, Spain and will be relocating back to the US soon. I have previously lived in Miami/LA/DC and loved the nightlife, diversity and progression of the cities. However, I want to find a location that is a little slower paced and still offers many interesting places to go and people to see! What would be a good description of the people who reside in the Palm Beach area? Is it mostly blondes and bathing suits, an area primarily focused on boobs and beach?....or is there a different angle to the vibe in this area?

Thanks for any info!

L*
If you mean the entire county then it's much more diverse than that. There are many different areas full of different cultures and different people, though it is unique from Miami.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 18,220 times
Ahh...Barcelona! I'm a newcomer to PBC, living in Jupiter, so I am only familiar with the northern part of the county. As far as boobs and blondes go, yeah, they are there, particularly at the nicer shopping/dining spots. But it's more than that. Lots of retirees this time of year, roads are much more crowded (and dangerous IMO) than in the summer. This part of the county is very family-oriented--seems to be lots of weekend activities geared towards all-ages, child-friendly. Middle class, suburban, fairly friendly--best way I'd describe our part of the county. Plenty of outdoor activities, lots of cyclists. There seems to be culture in West Palm Beach, but with kids, we don't take advantage of that, LOL!

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibis View Post
Ahh...Barcelona! I'm a newcomer to PBC, living in Jupiter, so I am only familiar with the northern part of the county. As far as boobs and blondes go, yeah, they are there, particularly at the nicer shopping/dining spots. But it's more than that. Lots of retirees this time of year, roads are much more crowded (and dangerous IMO) than in the summer. This part of the county is very family-oriented--seems to be lots of weekend activities geared towards all-ages, child-friendly. Middle class, suburban, fairly friendly--best way I'd describe our part of the county. Plenty of outdoor activities, lots of cyclists. There seems to be culture in West Palm Beach, but with kids, we don't take advantage of that, LOL!

Good luck with your move.
The county really does get different once you go south of that area.

Try heading into central Palm Beach County or many parts of West Palm Beach - many areas don't even look like the United States!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,822,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
The county really does get different once you go south of that area.

Try heading into central Palm Beach County or many parts of West Palm Beach - many areas don't even look like the United States!
And then go west to Wellington or south to West Boynton, Boca Raton, etc. Or for that matter, just to Palm Beach Gardens. It's like south Orange County (not the one you see on TV, the real one) meets Long Island. Not beach blonde bimbos though. I'm not even sure that exists anywhere but on TV.

However, in between all of that, there are decent, normal, down to earth people throughout, as there are everywhere. But it definitely has that non-classy "new money" bend to it, with a decent amount of serious old money, and a decent amount of thug life type people mixed in.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
And then go west to Wellington or south to West Boynton, Boca Raton, etc. Or for that matter, just to Palm Beach Gardens. It's like south Orange County (not the one you see on TV, the real one) meets Long Island. Not beach blonde bimbos though. I'm not even sure that exists anywhere but on TV.

However, in between all of that, there are decent, normal, down to earth people throughout, as there are everywhere. But it definitely has that non-classy "new money" bend to it, with a decent amount of serious old money, and a decent amount of thug life type people mixed in.
Yes, that is why I said you can't just generalize about one area like they portray it on television or whatever... I'm assuming the OP thought about it this way because of the name 'Palm Beach' and because of what he's used to seeing in shows like the OC (Based upon what I've heard, I've never actually seen the show myself).

Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,822,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
(Based upon what I've heard, I've never actually seen the show myself).
Me neither lol.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:15 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,024,848 times
it's all rednecks and snotty retired new yorkers. You will not like...believe me. This based on you coming from Spain. If anything ,try Ft.Lauderdale

Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
it's all rednecks and snotty retired new yorkers. You will not like...believe me. This based on you coming from Spain. If anything ,try Ft.Lauderdale
Wow, this is totally inaccurate. For one thing, most of the rednecks moved out years ago (though they do remain out west in Loxahatchee) and were replaced by Mexicans/Guatemalans. Secondly, not everyone is from NY, although tons of people are.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 AM

11 posts, read 56,801 times
Well coming from Spain Ill assume you know Spanish which youll need, but you may want to brush up on your Ebonics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach