Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 09:48 AM

243 posts, read 228,510 times

Advertisements

I've really been considering moving to Florida especially the WPB area and surrounding burbs. I'm just shy of 21 and I'm saving for the move but at the same time I won't move until I can find a job in the area. I live about a 12 hour drive as I'm in the tidewater area of VA. Im already familiar with the col and wages as Norfolk and VB are pretty close in cost if not more from what I've found from doing my homework. plus the wages here are really low for skilled trades compared to the COL and housing prices. Unless you work for the dod or navy but those jobs are scarce and really hard to get.

What I'm worried about is the crime as I've heard its really bad. my father has lived in several places in Florida during the 90s and said WPB was really dangerous. he had his car stolen before and saw people mugged in broad daylight. Now from what I've seen the crime has gotten better but it still can be pretty bad. But safe is a relative term. I grew up pretty poor and in section 8 housing in Norfolk so I'm used to crime. I remember one neighborhood specifically you would hear gunshots and sirens almost every night one one of the back streets ( lived on a main road).

The thing is I've never really had a problem. Even after dark but my dad says the crime is different in WPB. theres a lot more violent crime and burglaries than drugs. So idk. how does the crime compare to Norfolk ? I'm a musician so the only the I'm really worried about is getting all my gear stolen by a burglar. My trucks old and I always lock it so its probably not worth breaking into it to steal it. nor do I ever keep anything of value in it.

Im young and single and don't ever plan on having kids so I think ill enjoy the so Flo life plus I love the climate. I mean I'm already used to the brutal summers of va so I may aswell live somewhere where its warm year around too with much nicer beaches. I know I'm a little young to be trying to start a new life in a different state but I can't live here anymore for both. I don't mind living in less desirible areas while I get on my feet and settle on my career and stuff but I don't want to get shot either. thats why I'm asking about the crime.

I hear the Tampa and st Petersburg area might be more up my alley but I feel its too big and congested for me plus the beaches just don't compare to the east coast. The cost of living is better though and it has a stronger job market. I really want that more small city suburban beach feel though.

Either way it'll be a huge upgrade from the Norfolk/ vb area though. a way over priced area , low wages and I really have to get away from my family. theres a lot of toxic people here and people with low ambition who are really snub plus the few friends I had moved away for school.

sorry for the long post just thought most of it was relevant. thanks for the replies guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 03:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
West Palm Beach is not at all like it was in the 90s. Back then it was crack central. It has since changed tremendously. You will definitely know which areas to stay out of. Most people don't end up living there.

And if it's not for you, the suburbs (Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Boca, etc. are all very safe even by national standards).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach