Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,421 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I've lived in Seattle, WA, for all of my 24 years. I am considering accepting a position with a business in Delray Beach, FL , and have not yet had the opportunity to visit. It looks like an awesome city with lots of great activities!

Do you have any advice about life in Delray Beach? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 03:38 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,403,334 times
I lived there for 28 years and have worked there for 36.

I guess you’d have to be more specific or wait for another poster who has been more active there.

Parking downtown is abysmal, but there are lots of restaurants. A movie theater is being built near Atlantic.

Would you be willing to reveal the company or general location?

Many residents are complaining it’s too snobby and expensive, but others love it.

You’ve got a Trader Joe’s and just about every chain store and restaurant you could want off of Linton Bl in the southeast end of the city.

There’s an Urban Outfitters there, if that’s your thing, as well as the usual Starbucks etc. and some unique mom and pop places they may get priced out.

To me it’s just another town with lots of restaurants.

You might google Old School Square and the Cornell Museum. I don’t know if the Arts Garage is still there? Anyway, there is also the Delray Beach playhouse, International Tennis Center where the big names occasionally play. Ah yes, Arts Garage is still there. It’s downtown and there are art exhibits and musical performances there.

There are art shows and festivals- The Delray Affair is coming up soon. That’s a major event to which people come from all over the country.

There’s a brewery at the old farm supply store which is cool. Saltwater Brewery. Morikami Museum is out west.

You’ll find plenty to do , and if you don’t West Palm and Miami are close enough with the Tri Rail . West Palm is a relatively short drive.

The beach is nice as the vegetation is lush and the area is clean. And there are more restaurants across the street.

Just my opinion- if you’re a “creator” or “maker” type you might be a bit disappointed with the culture there. Otherwise you’ll probably be okay.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 03-07-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 08:19 PM

981 posts, read 894,957 times
I would say if you can, come for a visit before relocating. I live in DB and travel to the Seattle area frequently for work and have a lot of co-workers in their 20’s that live in Seattle. I’m a lot older now, and having lived in Boston, NY Metro area, and Dallas - as a young working professional, the culture here in South Florida / Delray is so different. It is a mix of the super wealthy snowbirds, retirees with a small working professional group, primarily in financial services, hospitality and a smattering of tech. We live close to downtown Delray and while we love the town, we are in our 40’s/50’s with grown children and able to work remotely for our tech jobs. There just isn’t that young working professional culture that you see in other big cities. Also, if you are really into the outdoor landscape and activity similar to the Pacific NW, South Florida will be a big change as well. But the beach, water activities, and golf are great.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:46 AM

Excellent post, klaucka. Was hoping you’d chime in.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:34 AM

18 posts, read 22,849 times
Research Delray Beach and drug rehabilitation centers to be fully informed about Delray Beach, so be careful where you choose to live.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:46 AM

+1 for that.

Wow , just googled drug rehab Delray and the list is endless.

I obviously am more out of touch than I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach