Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Canada or Europe? Strange. Never really heard someone say, "Gee, I like Asheville NC, but I'm torn between it and Toronto."

I dont know too many people who are flocking to Europe or Canada.

How do you think the people of North Carolina feel about all the Floridians and assorted Malcontents flocking to their state, to add to that unemployment rate (which is greater than Florida's?), overcrowding, and change of THEIR local culture?

Same way you and assorted others feel about "Hispanics" or whatever changing FLORIDA's culture (we'll forget the fact that South Florida, never really belonged to the "crackers" anyway, and without Henry Flagler and his summering NYers, would probably still be a majority Mikosukee outpost.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times
I find that most NC'ians are OK with the Floridians moving there, assuming they are just everyday normal people. But the "halfbacks" I know get on a lot of people nerves. It gives FL a bad name up there, even though they arent even from FL. But people like me, or some of my family members fit in nicely and I dont think they mind as long as (like mentioned above) we are not rude or belittling, etc... but I find most Floridians are very happy to be up there, and I find very few of them to be unhappy.

Plus, it depends on where you are... if you're in Cary, Charlotte, Asheville, there are so many people from all over that it's really a mixed bag.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I just spent some time with a co-worker who retired to Singer Island (north end of Palm Beach) and drove thru WPB. I've gotten pretty good a quickly sizing up an area. When I see pawn shops, get your checks cashed here and other such places I become Very suspect. My friends place has been broken into 4 times in the last 30 months...twice while he was home. Both him and his wife have carry permits and take a loaded weapon with them when they go outside to walk their little dog...

No thanks...not for me
Yeah that was Rivera Beach and it's an old story here. I don't know what's going on crime wise on Singer Island but here's a good explanation about the recent events (since the 60's) in Riviera Beach. An article written in 2006. It's a sociological and political mess for lack of a better term.

It's been a problem as long as I can remember going back decades. It's just a bigger more deadly problem than before for people who live there. The pent up demand for the city to get it's act together has taken on a more dangerous attitude, imo. There isn't much "outsiders" can do for a city that experiences such extremes especially in politics, so all "we" can do is empathize I guess. I had to smile about the mayor fighting for his "no baggy pants legislation" that got shot down. I understand his pov but that one was doomed at inception (although I HATE THE BAGGY PANTS PHENOM).

Riviera Beach struggles to overcome decades of divisiveness (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2006/07/02/m1a_RBnew1_0702.html - broken link)

Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,627 times
All the people who hate South FL should pack it up and out. Free up some jobs for people who are interested in living there.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times
^^^ A lot of people are trying. It will take time though. Once the economy in Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh pick up and they can getta job there (and sell their house in S FL) they will flee.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM

50 posts, read 195,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5* View Post
All the people who hate South FL should pack it up and out. Free up some jobs for people who are interested in living there.
Are you not aware of the mass exodus currently happening there? Uhaul, Budget, Penske, etc all have hit records for moving truck rentals from all the people escaping 3rd world south florida.

And if everyone who hated S.FL did leave, the population of white people there would be less than 5% Probably.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,636 times
I relocated to South Florida from New York City for a job opportunity. Things are not perfect here but they are not all that bad either. I personally like it down here. Weather is great, people are nicer than in New York City, housing is more affordable, less traffic.......of course there is definitely more crime in South Florida and the schools up in New York City were better but all in all....Florida wins out!!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashclaire View Post
Is the crime just as bad for Palm Beach Gardens, Delray Beach, Boca Raton or Jupitor? I want to move to Palm Beach County but have a young daughter and don't want to be in the middle of gangs.
This whole thread is hyped up.
I have lived in PB county since 1982, first Palm Springs then Lake Worth now Boynton Beach and have never run into a problem whatsoever.

In such a huge county, there is going to be crime and crime 'pockets'. Just get to know the different specific 'areas' and avoid the areas where the pockets of crime, low income areas are.

Common sense. And you'll be fine.

I will tell you that where I live in west Boynton-west of Jog Road is very safe for the most part, very pretty, newer and with beautiful landscaping.
Great schools comparatively as well.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5* View Post
I agree! Well-said.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 AM

186 posts, read 794,459 times
I agree also. I don't know quite what the complainers and malcontents are looking for.....Stepford, perhaps, because they certainly aren't interested in living in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach