Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 01:32 PM

79 posts, read 226,392 times

Advertisements

Just been browsing Delray on google maps to figure out what 'east of highway one' means along with some other streets/locations and I just wanted to know when people talk about downtown, what streets/area are they speaking about specifically?

Delray is now on my list of possible places to move, and since I can't get down there firsthand, I like to get as much information as possible for further research.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 02:02 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Downtown Delray

Atlantic Avenue is the main road. It's goes east & west. It is the center.
Federal Highway (US 1) is also known as N/SE 6 Avenue (going north) and
N/S 5 Avenue (going south). It splits.

I would probably say 4 or 5 blocks north and south of the Avenue constitute Downtown Delray.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:10 PM

Ahh alright, thanks for the info! So from what I see, the area around Veteran's Park would be in the downtown area east of Hwy1. Cool deal.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Veterans park area

Absolutely!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 PM

I do have one other quick question I might as well ask in here: how is Delray for young, single "non-professionals"? What I mean by that is I prefer to work for small, local businesses as opposed to large companies. If I make enough to split my rent and have some money for the weekend I'd be fine. I'm moving down there with the intention of finding an artist to work with me on my comic books, which will become my full-time focus once I get a few published titles under my belt.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:05 PM

42 posts, read 185,694 times
Default Great area

It appears to be a great area for someone young or young at heart. I was there two weeks ago, on a job interview. As you go east on Atlantic, before you get to downtown, there is an area that you want to avoid for safety reasons. East of there on Atlantic, is a village area (downtown) of artist types and unusual shops, which is just before you get to the public beach on the eastern edge. So pay attention to the boundaries described in other posts. And good luck with your plans!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasDB View Post
It appears to be a great area for someone young or young at heart. I was there two weeks ago, on a job interview. As you go east on Atlantic, before you get to downtown, there is an area that you want to avoid for safety reasons. East of there on Atlantic, is a village area (downtown) of artist types and unusual shops, which is just before you get to the public beach on the eastern edge. So pay attention to the boundaries described in other posts. And good luck with your plans!
I'm assuming then for safety's sake, just stay east of the highway, right? I mean, coming from north Jersey, it takes quite a bit to rattle me, but I'm not really interested in intentionally wandering into the bad parts of town either, hehe. It's just good to know I shouldn't have too much of a hard time fitting in somewhere around there.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:50 AM

51 posts, read 356,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital Entropy View Post
i'm Assuming Then For Safety's Sake, Just Stay East Of The Highway, Right? I Mean, Coming From North Jersey, It Takes Quite A Bit To Rattle Me, But I'm Not Really Interested In Intentionally Wandering Into The Bad Parts Of Town Either, Hehe. It's Just Good To Know I Shouldn't Have Too Much Of A Hard Time Fitting In Somewhere Around There.
Man You Right But Kind Of Wrong. Actually Your Mostly Right Cause I Be Seeing Alot Of That Lately. They Only Ride Their Bikes On Our Side Of Atlantic Ave. The Only Time When Someone Who Lives Downtown By The Beach Somewhere Comes To My Side Of The Neighborhood Is When They Looking For Drugs. Cause They Will Roll Down Their Windows Now And Days And Ask If You Sell. But Back To The Subject, I Would Say That Downtown Delray Would Start At Nw 3rd Ave. Which Is By The Tennis Courts And Near The Library. But There Are Still Bad Areas Behind Those Buildings So To Be Completely Safe, I Think It Starts At Swinton Ave And On Over. Thats Where The Dots Ice Cream Place Is And Farther East. Now If You Take S.swinton Ave. It Will Lead Back To The Ghetto And N.swinton Ave. Doesnt. Cause The Sw Neighborhoods Off Of Atlantic Are Much Larger Than Nw.

Last edited by BOY-N-TOWN; 05-30-2008 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: CORRECTION

Old 07-01-2008, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 75,569 times
Just stay East of Swinton. Between I-95 and Swinton it's kinda rough. But head towards the water on ATL Ave and its an awesome area. Really cute places you can find off the beaten path (Atlantic Ave).

Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 51,661 times
I live in downtown Delray and I have walked through and driven through the neighborhoods you call 'rough' without any problems. I am white and female. The neighborhoods being referenced are Haitian and African American. I also work in Overtown Miami- that is a rough neighborhood, Delray is not. Lower income areas are not always rough in the sense of urban ghettos or what you might be used to in NJ (my home state). I would not agree with that portayal.

At the moment downtown pretty much starts from Swinton and goes east to A1A as has been mentioned above because that's where the commercial area (i.e. restaurants, etc) starts. There are plans to 'beautify' the western half of Atlantic, which has been done for a couple of blocks. Parts of the neighborhoods mentioned above are also undergoing gentrification in efforts to attract businesses and higher income folks beyond the Atlantic corridor. Read into that what you will.

Over all, it is a very nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach