Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 PM

784 posts, read 1,975,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
florida is a very very bizarre place, plain and simple. nothing normal, consistant or stable about this place. it seems to get crazier every day.
Must be why I love it here so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 05:15 PM

956 posts, read 1,231,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not at all. Small homes on a less than an acre lot begin at $900k to $1m in Greenwich. It's about 1/4 of that price in PBC.
Especially now! This is an amazing time to buy down here.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 PM

22 posts, read 69,692 times
Default Not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
livng in the north palm beach areas would be as expensive as it would be to live in say Greenwich, CT, same deal.
Not even close. I live in Rhode Island, next door to CT. Real Estate prices up here are not even close to Florida prices. We are moving in a few days to PBC and I can't believe the price difference in houses.

Up here in RI, our house is a 10 year old colonial, 2400 sq. ft. 4 bed, 3 bath. That's it, nothing else, no granite, no stainless etc, small rooms. Just last month we were re-assessed at $493,000, that represents a 15% decrease in our assessed value since January. STILL $493K for nothing.

Our yearly propertly taxes are $8,000, our annual fire taxes are $600, our yearly water bill is $500-600, our natural gas bill from oct-march is $400 per month to heat the house, electric in the winter is $100-150, in the summer with AC it's about $300 per month. Yearly property tax on CARS is about $300-500 per car depending how old it is, and we each pay about $2400 in state income tax per year, sewer taxes are about $500 per year, Home owners insurance is about $1200 a year, the only thing cheaper.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,847,846 times
How crazy do you have to be to choose living in CT when you can live in FL?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 23,579 times
I'm glad I came across this thread. I too am thinking of making the jump to FL from CT. but I have heard lots of good and bad things about it. I have family and friends in the area, of all, who loved it at first and now want to leave because they say the crime is getting really bad and the people are just weird. Isn't that everywhere though? Just how bad is it? for a female who would be living alone? just curious. I know I love it when I'm down there, despite the difference in how the people are (CT is kind of it's own little world), I love the weather, the beaches, having more sun than rain (it's too rainy and gloomy here)...any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated! Of course I listen to what everyone tells me, but, this is also something I've always wanted to do and I think I need to try it at some point.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:59 PM

207 posts, read 937,881 times
CT is a beautiful small town kinda place, lots of history and tradition. South Florida is a Mishmash of people, no tradition, few manners, very diversified and transient. If you can deal with spanish speaking, rude and know it all people, you will love it.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM

87 posts, read 249,503 times
I grew up in South Florida (1980s and early '90s) and after college and grad school in NY, moved to CT. My husband's family is also from South Florida, so they are constantly trying to get us to move down there.

If our families didn't live there, I would never go back to FL. Like PP said, CT is beautiful, small town-esque and has a real sense of history. Every time I visit FL, it's more crowded, more superficial and more big box store (in mentality).

Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 AM

956 posts, read 1,231,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by design View Post
I'm glad I came across this thread. I too am thinking of making the jump to FL from CT. but I have heard lots of good and bad things about it. I have family and friends in the area, of all, who loved it at first and now want to leave because they say the crime is getting really bad and the people are just weird. Isn't that everywhere though? Just how bad is it? for a female who would be living alone? just curious. I know I love it when I'm down there, despite the difference in how the people are (CT is kind of it's own little world), I love the weather, the beaches, having more sun than rain (it's too rainy and gloomy here)...any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated! Of course I listen to what everyone tells me, but, this is also something I've always wanted to do and I think I need to try it at some point.
I grew up in Woodstock, CT (now called the Quiet Corner). It is just the most magnificent part of New England. I can tell you that if you move here you will miss it terribly.

I thought I wouldn't. I thought my memories would hold me. But when you're used to the natural beauty of CT, the man made beauty here just doesn't cut it. Palm Beach is beautiful, but manufactured. The ocean, of course, is magnificent and that's what drew us here. But after a year or two you find you rarely go. It's either too hot, or in the winter there are too many people, or there are sharks or jellyfish or worse.

There are too many people, the houses are too close together and it's just a sea of stores, gas stations, box stores and traffic.

But there is a good side. From now through May it's just glorious weather. That's why we came and that's why we stay. I sit now looking out at the swaying palms and our lake. All my doors and windows are open and it is just heavenly. My husband loves it. I return to CT 3 times a year and refresh.

But the people aren't "weird". You end up meeting people from the northeast most of the time. I may know 2 or 3 people from Florida and that's it. I've made lots of friends and we have a wonderful lifestyle here.

I just miss "home".

Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 AM

132 posts, read 370,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luish73 View Post
I am moving from CT to FL in one month and will be working for my current CT employer out of my future home in FL. Our HR department says that I must pay CT state income tax although I will live in FL. Are they right? Someone with same experience or knowledge???

that can't be right. If you are a resident of a different state CT shouldn't be able to make you pay, but ask a tax attorney.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,140,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
But the people aren't "weird". You end up meeting people from the northeast most of the time. I may know 2 or 3 people from Florida and that's it. I've made lots of friends and we have a wonderful lifestyle here.
And--ahem--we should ask what's wrong with weird people anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach