Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 AM

131 posts, read 445,908 times

Advertisements

Ok so my research has shown me that a decent place (I'm currently in almost 1,900 sq. feet 3 bedroom w/ den that i've converted into another bedroom in a great neighborhood w/ pool & bike trails here in NC...currently pay 1200 a month for + about 250 in electr. + about 60 bucks in water each month) will cost me an ARM & LEG to rent down there!!! I've been looking on craigslist.org, etc. and the price of rentals in PBC is verrrry expensive...I'm in SHOCK, actually....because in comparison, the wages don't seem higher in PBC for general jobs (sales/account mgmt./customer svc, town jobs, etc.) than they are here in NC!!!

I'm hoping the JOB MARKET there pays according to the rental prices!???? Has anyone relocated from the Raleigh area to PBC within the last year or so? If so, I'd like to hear your take on your relocation experience: difference in schools, salaries/economy here vs. there, etc. I'm NOT looking to buy, only rent (IF I'm offered the job i'm in consideration for, no salary discussions yet)... Do people actually MAKE IT off 45K there??????? The rentals are like CRAZY high in PBC!!!

If i lived in Martin County, would the rentals be that much cheaper than my expenditure in gas overall....and how would my commute be to downtown WPalm Beach??? (and i know it's hard to visualize what traffic means here vs. there....here it's 5 lanes one way crowded into the RTP area where there are good paying jobs....milder than Atlanta, GA traffic, but still congested though...) Is the commute bumper to bumper like that going from Martin Co. or Jupiter into WPalm Beach? Gas if $4.00 a gallon here, and i'm spending about $450 a month in my toyota matrix driving back and forth to work, commute time about 40-50 minutes each way in traffic.

p.s. good neighborhood information is always appreciated :-)...i have 3 boys and 1 girl, no drugs, etc. very athletic kids. I just wanted to know in case this becomes a salary negotiation point, which it obviously will if i continue on in the interview process.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Such deals exist, but you'll have to pound the pavement. In general, you'll definitely be nearing 2k for four bedrooms in better neighborhoods though. Check out Royal Palm Beach, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, and Wellington.

With four kids are you looking at 3 or 4 bedrooms?

Also, don't discount the possibility of living downtown. South of Okeechobee has some good family neighborhoods. Older homes though, but you can't beat the (lack of) commute!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Ok, searched Craigslist and found this in Royal Palm Beach:

4 bed 2 bath two story house in Nautica Lakes (http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/725470731.html - broken link)

Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks so much......i can't check craigslist from my job....but....i'll look at this post tonight. I have a girlfriend who just moved down to Tequesta.....I can deal w/ a 3 bedroom....although i'd like a 4....i'm actually in a 3 bedroom now....i just converted the den (which has french doors) into a fourth bedroom. They share a closet w/ me upstairs.

wishlist: I'd like a decent neighborhood w/ a heated pool...(community pool) so my 14 yo and 12 yo can have something to do. Are you familiar with any of the neighborhoods by Jupiter HS?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighorr View Post
Thanks so much......i can't check craigslist from my job....but....i'll look at this post tonight. I have a girlfriend who just moved down to Tequesta.....I can deal w/ a 3 bedroom....although i'd like a 4....i'm actually in a 3 bedroom now....i just converted the den (which has french doors) into a fourth bedroom. They share a closet w/ me upstairs.

wishlist: I'd like a decent neighborhood w/ a heated pool...(community pool) so my 14 yo and 12 yo can have something to do. Are you familiar with any of the neighborhoods by Jupiter HS?
No prob.

I am familiar with the general Abacoa area, yes, and a couple of close subdivisions nearby, like Botanica and some of the older subdivisions. Jupiter is a real family-friendly town. not too many "bad" areas. Unfortunately, abacoa tends to be a bit more on the pricey side...prob around 1700 for a four bedroom.

Also check out Evergrene in Palm Beach Gardens... though I don't think anything in there will be 1600 for a four bedroom....

Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Hey: What the heck do people DO DOWN THERE to make all this money to afford these rents/mortgages???????????????????? THAT'S THE BILLION DOLLAR QUESTION....And do single parents even EXIST there??? lol

If RENT is this high, I'd hate to ask about DAYCARE!!!! OMGGGG!!! What is it, like $300 a week for a 2 year old???

Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighorr View Post
Hey: What the heck do people DO DOWN THERE to make all this money to afford these rents/mortgages???????????????????? THAT'S THE BILLION DOLLAR QUESTION....And do single parents even EXIST there??? lol

If RENT is this high, I'd hate to ask about DAYCARE!!!! OMGGGG!!! What is it, like $300 a week for a 2 year old???

Don't know the answer to the first question, to be honest.... and I have no kids, so I can't give you insight into the second.

A lot of South Florida real estate is propped up by New York and foreign money. BUT, I've heard that it's a renter's market out there, so don't be afraid to negotiate.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks Tri-i didn't even think about the possible negotiation thing.... Any other feedback from anyone from Raleigh area would be appreciated. I'm always up for good advice when it comes to schools, places to live, and daycare....:-)

Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,314 times
Default try this link....

View Stonybrook Apartments For Rent in Boynton Beach, Florida - ForRent.com

These apts are in west Boynton Beach, just about 8 minutes from I-95 which would head you to WPB.....only up to 3br but reasonable prices and very nice area. A nice pool and workout room, skateboard park just down the street about 5 min away. Shopping and restaurants 5 minutes walking distance.

There are MANY daycare centers around, christian ones too if that's your preference. I think the range is around $180 and up per week depending on the age of the child for full time.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:23 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
stay away from boynton beach...do not believe what people tell you about it being a nice area. It's not....and the perceived "good" areas are too close to the bad areas to really have peace of mind at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach