Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 15,584 times

Advertisements

We are seriously thinking about moving to Boca from Boston. Its my wife, a baby and myself. Main reason is weather, we barely had a summer this year. We love the beach, we own a boat and love boating.

From a job perspective, I'm a consutlant so i travel a lot. Boca seems to be in the middle of 2 airports, so that should be fine. When not travelling, I'm working from home. My wife is a house wife looking after our baby. We are planning on having more kids and sending them to private schools.

We are planning to come down in Oct to find a place to rent, and then move in after Thanksgiving. we will not sell our house in boston at this time, so either rent it of keep it empty for now. Our plan to try it our for 1 year, and then decide to stay or leave.

Our biggest concerns about the move is rising crime rate in South Florida, finding friends, and of course huricanes.

We dont have family in Boston, so they will be visitng.

Any thoughts? ideas on where to rent? is this crazy moving from Boston to Boca?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM

22 posts, read 137,354 times
I live in SW Boca and I really like the area. I grew up in SW Broward county before moving here a few years ago.

The beaches in this area are really nice. Any resident with a Boca Raton address can purchase an annual beach parking lot sticker for about $30. Non-residents have to pay $18 per day to park at the beach so it's a great deal for Boca residents.

There are three beach parks: the Red Reef Park, South Beach (no, not the Miami "SoBe") and Spanish River Park.

I don't think it's a crazy idea. When it's not raining the weather here is beautiful, there are tons of things to do, lots of outdoor recreational opportunities, etc.

Do you ever travel out of the country or just in the USA? If just in the USA then the PBI (Palm Beach) and FLL (Ft. Laud) airports should cover your traveling needs.

If you're looking for a house, you'll probably be looking in West Boca. If you want to be closer to the beach, you'll be looking at mostly condos in the Eastern are of the city.

Good luck.

Here's a picture of the Ft. Lauderdale beach and the beach at Red Reef Park in Boca to entice you to move.

(Ft. Laud)

(& Red Reef on a weekday afternoon)

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
If you love boating, there aren't many better places than South Florida.

If you have a job set up, all the better.

Boca isn't a high crime area, though there have been a couple of high profile incidents recently (which are high profile because it's Boca).

It's a LOOOOT different than Boston, though. You WILL need a car, and you will have to explore to find the cultural and restaurant amenities you are used to in Boston. They're there... just not as easily accessible.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 65,602 times
Thumbs up Worked for Me

I moved from Boston to Boca and have absolutely no regrets. I was SO ready to leave Boston and I planned carefully for the transition. Hurricanes are certainly worth considering, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. Freezing rain and blinding snow were common occurrences that scared me more.

Do get a job before coming.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:12 PM

6 posts, read 38,162 times
I just got a tranfer from Boston to Boca. I plan on arriving in mid sept to early Oct. Is there any area in Boca that is better than the other. I will be making approx mid sixties to mid seventies. Is this do-able in Boca or should I be looking at living in Delray? I like the idea of safe and good schools. But is it really that glitzy and stuffy as other posters say? How is living on a golf course?

Thanks appreciate any comments.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:30 AM

20 posts, read 132,884 times
Boston and Boca are two worlds apart or the same. The weather is pretty much same here all year round, no seasons like up north - the fall is nice. Glitzy and stuff, it depend where you are Back Bay / Beacon Hill or the pricier areas of Boca. In general Boca and Delray are pretty safe area and the schools are good.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 AM

38 posts, read 46,426 times
Who would move from NE to Boca? you got to be kidding?

I lived in Boca for 9 mos-- I would never go back, ever.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 PM

272 posts, read 908,856 times
Boca is wonderful, you'll love it.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 AM

15 posts, read 74,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalgeek View Post
We are seriously thinking about moving to Boca from Boston. Its my wife, a baby and myself. Main reason is weather, we barely had a summer this year. We love the beach, we own a boat and love boating.

From a job perspective, I'm a consutlant so i travel a lot. Boca seems to be in the middle of 2 airports, so that should be fine. When not travelling, I'm working from home. My wife is a house wife looking after our baby. We are planning on having more kids and sending them to private schools.

We are planning to come down in Oct to find a place to rent, and then move in after Thanksgiving. we will not sell our house in boston at this time, so either rent it of keep it empty for now. Our plan to try it our for 1 year, and then decide to stay or leave.

Our biggest concerns about the move is rising crime rate in South Florida, finding friends, and of course huricanes.

We dont have family in Boston, so they will be visitng.

Any thoughts? ideas on where to rent? is this crazy moving from Boston to Boca?

Any feedback is appreciated.

I dont really have much "feeback"...haha but my boyfriend and I are also from Mass, the Springfield area and we are also moving near boca. We are tired of the weather also, especially the brutal winters. We will miss snowboarding A LOT but we are willing to give Florida a chance. We're planning on moving in June because I graduate from college in May...and it also gives us plenty of time to save up. Just wanted to say good luck and I think you should def. give Florida a shot!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,874 times
Hi, i have been living in Canada for almost thirty years, before i was in DC and California. I am over sixty years old and cannot tolerate any more winters which are bothering my health. But i also like cultural activities, any of that in Boca or near there? I speak Spanish fluently and would i be able to practice it? i have been told a lot of South Americans go to Boca. is that right? any retirement jobs for educated women? what about outdoors and hiking groups like the Sierra Club or university women organizations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach