Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 AM

203 posts, read 310,669 times

Advertisements

All I keep hearing is negative things about W. Palm. Is it a good area for young families with small children? We like the planned communities? Does anyonw know of any good areas there to raise children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 AM

19 posts, read 95,780 times
You must take all the negative comments with a grain of salt. I have close family that has lived in this area for over 40 years and love it. We moved over a year ago to Wellington from the mid-west and we love it!! Wellington is VERY family-friendly....great shopping...good schools...and is full of other happy families. Ask around, not everyone down here is unhappy. All the neighbors I know love it here and consider it home. You will never find the PERFECT place....nowhere is perfect, but you must look to yourself and your situation to decide what feels right to you. Don't let a bunch of negativity cloud your decision!!! Good luck to you and yours!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelma123 View Post
All I keep hearing is negative things about W. Palm. Is it a good area for young families with small children? We like the planned communities? Does anyonw know of any good areas there to raise children?

West Palm Beach has a large share of moaners and groaners per capita.

That being said, the negatives are waaaay overblown by people who seem to have very short memories on the way things "used to be."

Wellington is a very family oriented area. If you like planned communities and new urbanism, I also suggest you look into Jupiter, Florida (a suburb of West Palm Beach, like Wellington) and Abacoa, with a wide spectrum of housing choices from 100k condos to 1 million $ + homes.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 AM

Thank you both for your replies. We have family in the Delray Beach and Boca area and are looking to possibly move from MD down there. Are summers really that unbearable? I just worry that it will always be too hot for my kids to play outside and I will always be chasing them around with a bottle of suntan lotion. We love the master planned communities and would probably be interested in homes $300+. Any good communities that you know of?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Thelma we are hoping to relocate from NC I know a shock, we are from Ny and NJ and are here 2 years we are looking in WEst Boca and there are some really nice homes in that price range as that is what we ar looking at as well, although we are going to rent for at least a year before buying anything...good luck as West Boca has really good schools as well, and Im glad to hear nice things and see peopel are interested as well to moving to Florida...lord knows there is so much negativity here wher we live from former Floridians...its sad, as they think this is UTOPIA...and moved here becauase its cheap..oh well

check out Mission Bay, Boca Winds and Boca Falls...

Schools: Watersedge or Sandpiper Elem, Loggers Middle and West Boca High School

check them out on greatschools.net

Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 AM

19 posts, read 95,780 times
The summers are really hot, BUT we actually have this thing called air conditioning!! Our kids love the beach and pool best when it is really hot out!! The kids do tend to do more water-related activities during the summer, but they still play outside, too. Sunscreen is a given in any climate.

Nice area's of Wellington in your price range would be THE ISLES, Village Walk, Versailles and Binks Forest.....they all have good public schools, if you need them. You can really get a deal now on beautiful houses....just research the neighborhood and beware of high rental populations and foreclosures. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:03 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
Wellington has much improved since the 'Old days', when I lived there (80's)...now a very good place to raise a family. Traffic is an issue, but the community has been thoughtfully built in a way to offer almost all conveniences, including playparks.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 AM

Thanks I will have to look into the area of Wellington.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 PM

207 posts, read 940,257 times
You need to describe your family as to thier preferences, otherwise all you will get is generic recommendations.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,138 times
It's important to note that West Palm Beach covers everything from godawful to gorgeous so it's impossible to describe WPB in one particular way. There are sections of WPB (mostly the eastern parts, closer to I-95) that you wouldn't drive around at night without fear of getting shot. I've been living in Loxahatchee (two blocks west of the West Palm Beach border in the Acreage ) since 2003 and I can't complain. As background, I grew up in Boca and bought my first house in Pembroke Pines in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach