Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:23 AM

6 posts, read 22,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
Anyone wanting to read the articles re: Wellington water/land situation should access it through the Sun-Sentinel and see for themselves. I did not make this up. I wouldn't do that. People ask and if I have knowledge, I post. All should decide for themselves.

Could you post to the article you are referring to? It's difficult to tell from your post what point you are trying to make.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 07:30 PM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
I moved to Florida from the NYC burbs about 15 years ago and have lived in a few towns here, beginning with a big house in Boca by the Intracoastal and ending with a little cozy cottage in Wellington. Boca is a little too glitzy for my personal tastes, but I love the small town feeling in Wellington where village folk actually know each other. If you enjoy horse activities, it's the East Coast capital for dressage, jumping and polo, which also provides a lot of income for the village. Golf is available in private clubs and at the Okeeheelee (forgive spelling) public course, and there's a Boys & Girls Center in the heart of town. In addition, the new mall has attracted more restaurants and independant businesses to the area. There are two hospitals, one at either end of town. Everything I need is available within a few minutes. Wellington housing isn't cheap, but the village regulations fairly well insure that properties are well maintained, (tho there are always exceptions) and a starter house can be bought for under $270 nowadays.

If I didn't have concrete plans to retire elsewhere, I'd stay in my small house forever. As it is, if real estate sales improve within the next couple of years I'll be moving on, but with very fond memories of Wellington. I'd give Wellington a gold star for liveability, and a runner-up award to Boca.

Much depends on the lifestyle you seek. Best of luck in your decision!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
I'll join the chorus and say that if you can comfortably afford a 450k house, you have the embarrassment of the choice between Boca Raton and Wellington.

In short, Boca Raton is more "cosmopolitan" compared to Wellington, but, you should either have a home-based business or live near to your place of employment to avoid potentially hellacious traffic at certain times of the day. An earlier poster made a good point of having a business that caters to the rich of Boca.

Wellington is relatively more suburban than Boca Raton and you may get more bang for your buck in terms of age of house, house size and/or lot size. I personally would not want to commute from Wellington to West Palm Beach everyday, but I suppose some people do it.

In my view there are two causes of most of the negativity towards southern Florida. First, the rise in the cost of living has far exceeded the expectations of a majority of the region's residents and prospective residents; it really has been a brutal shock in view of what they were used to in the past or expected when coming here. Second, and this applies mainly to Dade County, is the cultural change that has taken place over the past 10-20 years or so. In short, if you don't speak Spanish in Dade County and you don't mind living in cramped conditions similar to those in a South American or even Asian megalopolis, then you no longer fit into society there.

These are merely summaries and, as you know, much more has been written on these subjects.

Recapitulating, comfortably affording 450k house, you will do very well in either Boca Raton or Wellington.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2007, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,452 times
I've lived in Boca my whole life (28 years) and I have mixed opinions about it. Yes, it is beautiful, clean, low-crime and has lots of stuff to do, but it's also become unaffordable, especially for those wanting to buy their first home. I'm a real estate assistant and my fiance's a college professor, and with our combined incomes, we still cannot afford to buy a house here. It's also become overcrowded (Try driving west on Glades Road during the week), people here are highfalutin and nasty and the drivers are horrible and inconsiderate. Since I've lived in one city my whole life, I thought this was how everyone was -- until I visited other states (South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, etc.) There's a completely different attitude and cordiality there that is missing in Boca and the rest of South Florida. My parents, who live in Boca as well, visited Colorado last year and were amazed at the considerate drivers.
Now of course the weather is beautiful (if you can handle the humidity), the schools are great and there aren't any bad areas in Boca. But if you're looking for friendly, courteous people, for the most part you won't find them here.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Default we left NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan13 View Post
I've lived in Boca my whole life (28 years) and I have mixed opinions about it. Yes, it is beautiful, clean, low-crime and has lots of stuff to do, but it's also become unaffordable, especially for those wanting to buy their first home. I'm a real estate assistant and my fiance's a college professor, and with our combined incomes, we still cannot afford to buy a house here. It's also become overcrowded (Try driving west on Glades Road during the week), people here are highfalutin and nasty and the drivers are horrible and inconsiderate. Since I've lived in one city my whole life, I thought this was how everyone was -- until I visited other states (South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, etc.) There's a completely different attitude and cordiality there that is missing in Boca and the rest of South Florida. My parents, who live in Boca as well, visited Colorado last year and were amazed at the considerate drivers.
Now of course the weather is beautiful (if you can handle the humidity), the schools are great and there aren't any bad areas in Boca. But if you're looking for friendly, courteous people, for the most part you won't find them here.

to find a nicer , more polite population. lol- Glades Road in Boca- lived right near there. My husband hated that Steinmart-lol. It truly is similar to NY. In 1999, though I remember thinking how nice it was- not totally overcroded, etc.; thats because the people who own multiple homes are not living there in April-August.

It has changed alot. Anyone living there, and working will be in for a rude awakening.

j

Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,662 times
Default Not The Old SW Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan13 View Post
I have to agree with finsfan13. I was a transplant from Illinois. We lived in an area about an hour south of Chicago. I moved with my family in 1978. I was glad to leave the cold of the mid-west to an unincorpotated area of Ft. Lauderdale. I have always lived in the general area of So. Florida. Tamarac, Sunrise and now Boca Raton. I would not move here today. In fact we are looking to leave for all the reasons described above. Yes the area is beautiful. Large trees, lots to do. Plenty of shopping and events to keep you busy year round. It's the PEOPLE. It's as if they are deserving of some sort of higher treatment than the others around them. It is a totally selfish "me" mentality. Not to mention the spoiled kids driving daddies 780 BMW. No work ethic, no manners. It is all me first. Let one of them serve you in any kind of retail setting and you will know exactly how absolutly spoiled they are. Here is a link to the latest South Palm Beach County school scores from bocanews.com Boca Raton, FL - BocaNews.com - Local news and information for the city of Boca raton. The best thing for me is that the property we will sell has just about doubled in the 7 years of living here.
3BR., 2BA, Den, Fam, Liv, Din, 2Car,
2188sf under air,
Private Water Lot with nice open pool.
Built in 1980. Comps are $410K.

Between the property taxes and the high hurricane insurance I can't justify the area anymore.

Oh, did I mention the 8 days of no power after Wilma visited in'05?
And 3 days after Jeanne and the 5 days after Frances in '04
(We escaped Hurricane Andrew )

Old 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperguy63 View Post
In fact we are looking to leave for all the reasons described above. Yes the area is beautiful. Large trees, lots to do. Plenty of shopping and events to keep you busy year round. It's the PEOPLE. It's as if they are deserving of some sort of higher treatment than the others around them. It is a totally selfish "me" mentality. Not to mention the spoiled kids driving daddies 780 BMW. No work ethic, no manners. It is all me first. Let one of them serve you in any kind of retail setting and you will know exactly how absolutly spoiled they are.
Sounds like suburban U.S.A . Plus you bumped a thread that was over 5 months old.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:37 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
I'm happy in Boca and I hear Wellington is nice as well. Parkland is good too and is next door to Boca.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Parkland is the ultimate Boca . The "ME" attitude is plaguing the American suburb. It is not Boca exclusive.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperguy63 View Post
I have to agree with finsfan13. I was a transplant from Illinois. We lived in an area about an hour south of Chicago. I moved with my family in 1978. I was glad to leave the cold of the mid-west to an unincorpotated area of Ft. Lauderdale. I have always lived in the general area of So. Florida. Tamarac, Sunrise and now Boca Raton. I would not move here today. In fact we are looking to leave for all the reasons described above. Yes the area is beautiful. Large trees, lots to do. Plenty of shopping and events to keep you busy year round. It's the PEOPLE. It's as if they are deserving of some sort of higher treatment than the others around them. It is a totally selfish "me" mentality. Not to mention the spoiled kids driving daddies 780 BMW. No work ethic, no manners. It is all me first. Let one of them serve you in any kind of retail setting and you will know exactly how absolutly spoiled they are. Here is a link to the latest South Palm Beach County school scores from bocanews.com Boca Raton, FL - BocaNews.com - Local news and information for the city of Boca raton. The best thing for me is that the property we will sell has just about doubled in the 7 years of living here.
3BR., 2BA, Den, Fam, Liv, Din, 2Car,
2188sf under air,
Private Water Lot with nice open pool.
Built in 1980. Comps are $410K.

Between the property taxes and the high hurricane insurance I can't justify the area anymore.

Oh, did I mention the 8 days of no power after Wilma visited in'05?
And 3 days after Jeanne and the 5 days after Frances in '04
(We escaped Hurricane Andrew )
You list all the hurricanes and the trouble they cause, very high taxes, very high insurance, and say you can't justify the area anymore. And one sentence above that you brag how your house is worth $410,000, doubled in 7 years.

That my friends is the Florida housing bubble in a neat little nutshell. The next young family is supposed to come in and pay double for a 30 year old house...with much higher taxes, gas prices, insurance, etc.

Not to mention that they can rent for $1500-2000/month. Or get a new house for that $410,000 or less.

The delusions of sellers are almost comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach