Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,846 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my family and I are relocating to Greenacres in about 2 months. My husband received a job transfer from Saint Petersburg. We fell in love with the homes in a new gated community called Sagewood.
Off of Forest Hill Blvd. and Jog Road. Can anyone tell me about the area. I have 3 school age children, who would be attending Pine Jog elementary school and Okeeheelee Middle school. When we looked at the neighborhood, we liked what we saw, but after reading some negative posts on here of Greenacres....I am beginning to wonder.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 AM

162 posts, read 679,153 times
I would not consider the Sagewood community to be in Greenacres, its in unincorporated PBC and demographically closer to Wellington. The less desirable part of Greenacres is between Lake Worth Road and 10th Avenue North. You'll probably do most of your shopping in Wellington or along Southern Blvd.

Both the schools you mention are generally well regarded as is Palm Beach Central HS. With the community being close to the landing approach at PBIA, is noise a problem?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 18,583 times
There is no airport noise since the flight path is over Southern Blvd. which is 4/5 miles away. You should also consider the gated community RiverBridge on the corner of Forest Hill and Jog. It has many sub-developments within the main gate, a very nice clubhouse/pool and other amenities. The RiverBridge Shopping Center with a Publix, Walgreens, 2 banks, 5 or 6 restaurants and many small shops is just outside the gate within walking distance or drive without going on to any highway.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,895 times
I am a licensed FL real estate broker who was born in Florida. I currently live just south of the area you mention above. There are so many nice communities both new and re-sales all within 5-10 miles of that area. Definately looking west between military trail out into wellington is more family oriented like you are loooking for. Riverbridge has some great deals on new construction as well. If you come a little south into Lake Worth or Boynton Beach (10 inute drive) there are great family communities with A rated schools as well. Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 AM

806 posts, read 2,340,624 times
I grew up there and I turned out fine!!!!

No, really, I did, but WAY back in the day when all of that development wasn't even there. I had a great time playing in all of the neighborhoods, it was a safe place. Purdy lane and Jog vicinity!!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,454 times
How is the Park Pointe condo area in Greenacres? I am concerned as my husband just decided to give a deposit on a condo without researching the area. How would you rate this area?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,454 times
Default Greenacres Florida

Looking to purchase in Park Pointe adult community. The grounds are kept beautifull and clean and we then crossed the street to the shopping center. It seemed nice. But how is the neighborhood? Is it safe? And would you consider this a good neighborhood or be ware.? Is it safe to walk outside the park pointe area? We were reading that Lake Worth is getto? Is Greenacres considered getto?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 PM

17,253 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Greenacres svcks! Large illegal immigrant population. Best thing about it is that it is close to Wellington

Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM

23 posts, read 46,270 times
Default Info on Greenacres

Green acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide.
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.
New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.
...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square
You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,703 times
We moved to Greenacres, FL about 11 yrs. ago. If we were able to do it over, we would have moved further west (Wellington, FL) or further south (Lake Worth, FL) of Greenacres. My in-laws live in a development called Northtree which is nice. The high school for that area is Park Vista.

My son attended Okeeheelee Middle School. It was not a good school. The principle - David Samore, is quite the dictator. It's overcrowded to say the least. Granted, this incident occurred years ago. I was on the SAC board at the school at that time. This is what happened:

Principal David Samore
pulled two toy guns from his desk drawer Tuesday and put what appeared to be a black revolver to the neck of a 13-year-old, according to boy's mother, Felicia Vickers. She said her son was called to the principal's office because someone accused him of bringing a gun on campus. Officials searched the seventh-grader and his locker but didn't find anything, Vickers said.

Samore was in his office with three other staff members, including a campus police officer, when he pointed the gun at her son, Vickers said.
"The principal said something to the effect of, 'What does it feel like? Does it feel real?' " Vickers said her son told school police Wednesday.
"I was really disturbed, for him to use his authority to intimidate children like that," she said.
I really don't blame her. Principal Samore appears to be using the "tough love" defense here, but given that the kid was sent to the principal's office on completely false charges of having a gun, why did the principal decide to use a gun - even a toy one - to scare him? No gun was found on the kid.
So, to recap: Nine-year-old waving toy gun around - gets arrested. Congressional aides bring toy guns into office building - no punishment. Principal deliberately uses toy gun to frighten wits out of a boy falsely accused of having a gun - gets reassignment to a desk job. He hasn't been fired, nor arrested - just told to sit somewhere else for a while.
You can read parental comments about the school here. At least one parent claims that kids must carry clear backpacks and cannot even use lockers, because "gangs and fights are out of control." And the principal's solution is to use a toy gun to frighten a kid who hadn't done anything wrong?

Last edited by Flapalady; 03-31-2012 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: edit to add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach