Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 8,388 times

Advertisements

What my tax bills were in 2006 or any other yr makes no differance, what matters is that the county, decide to raise the millage rate because the value on our property went down they were and they still are to high, do you also know that the school distric did not adopt the 50,000 homestead exemption which is state law and that on your last tax bill you were only givin 25K exemption on the portion of you school tax?

MY house WELLINGTON, also home to 9 known gangs do you think its safe I dont. My townhome is in Greenacres my Condo is in Ft Lauderdale,

I also didnt say to look at the condo docs, my suggestion was to buy the book The Condominium Concept, you may find it at any Borders Book Store, It's not what condo docs tell you It's what they dont tell you.

I wounder if your occuppation is a real estate agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,333,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim palm beach county View Post
What my tax bills were in 2006 or any other yr makes no differance, what matters is that the county, decide to raise the millage rate because the value on our property went down they were and they still are to high, do you also know that the school distric did not adopt the 50,000 homestead exemption which is state law and that on your last tax bill you were only givin 25K exemption on the portion of you school tax?
Yes, what your tax bills were in 2006 DOES matter, because for most of the county, even in light of an increase in millage, the taxes have gone DOWN. I could care less about the "value" of the home according to the county appraiser. What the property appraiser does with values does not generally translate into either what you should buy a particular property at, or sell a particular property at.

Of course, my hope is that when values begin to rise, the citizenry won't be LAZY and ACCEPT the risen millage rate with higher values. I believe Royal Palm Beach actually dropped its millage rate. Given how many people just sit back and accept home owners insurance increases without bothering to do something about it, however, who knows if that will actually happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim palm beach county
MY house WELLINGTON, also home to 9 known gangs do you think its safe I dont.
If your house is in Wellington, there is absolutely NO REASON why your insurance should be over SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS. Tomorrow morning open a phone book and call at least two independent insurance agencies, and ask for new HOI quotes. You can probably even drop the AMOUNT of insurance you need, because replacement cost should be lower in this economy.

And sorry, but Wellington is very safe save for a small area near the Sugar Pond Manor/Fairway area. Research any crime statistics and you will find that Wellington is fine. I mean, you REALLY live in fear of "Gangs" in Wellington? What are you scared of? The Versailles trust fund babies vs. Olympia polo playas starting a turf war at Wellington Green?

I live in a downtown WPB neighborhood. If I'm not "scared" here you can be sure I wouldn't be "scared" in WELLINGTON! Fact is violent crime in Palm Beach County in general is DOWN the past few years. It's actually going down around the country. Hopefully, it's a trend that continues. Things were a LOT worse in PBC in the 80s and 90s. Ever think though that you hear MORE about crime because of the 24/7 news cycle, internet, etc.? Crime news sells. I believe official statistics over anectdote and news cycle perception.

Quote:
My townhome is in Greenacres my Condo is in Ft Lauderdale,
And you live in all three? Or are you an INVESTOR that gambled and LOST? Maybe you won't make the same mistake when you move to Tennessee. Both your condo and your townhouse, though, should be assessed at lower values than when you purchased, resulting in lower taxes overall, even IF there's been a millage rate increase. (I guarantee the condo especially has gone down more than 15% in assessed value). Next year, assuming you haven't "walked away" by then, get to the value adjustment board.

Quote:
I wounder if your occuppation is a real estate agent?
Nope. But nice try. Maybe someday I will, though, because it's amazing how uneducated some people are about this area and home buying.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,729,312 times
Jim you are a joke. I have lived in PBC for 45 years now.... Sure things have changed but please stop the drama.

I have a 3,300 sq place in the Acreage, on a acre and a quarter.

Taxes: $3,350
Insurance: $880.00 - Full replacement coverage.

How many claims did you make during 04-05 hurricanes? Were they legit claims? How much did you get from FEMA?

People like you give forums like this a slighted view. The gentleman was asking for help, not your personal view of crime in the area. Like I said, been living in this home for 18 years. Haven't seen a PBSO patrol car on my street in at least two.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM

475 posts, read 1,494,562 times
Some of the new condo buildings in W.P.B. have gone into Foreclosure; be careful which ones you are looking at.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 PM

475 posts, read 1,494,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim palm beach county View Post
I moved o Fl in 2002 from Va. What a mistake, I own one condo, one townhome, and a single family home in PBC the place from hell with crime, taxes, insurance, and FPL,

Fact proptery tax incresed this yr 2009 bills by 16.7 % they raised the millage rate to get this done. My new tax bill $4500.00 Property tax is to go up over 13% next yr.

Insurance is going up 10% a yr for the next 3 yrs my new insurance bill is $6500.00 on a home taxed at 177K

FPL has been approved for a 30 % increse in your power bill, average bill in PBC $200.00 a mo thats now means $260.00 a mo.

I would also suggest you read the book THE CONDOMINIUM CONCEPT before you buy anything with a conod or homeowners assoc, the law favors them not you they can and do steal your money by inflating the numbers and than take the excess funds and add them to the general fund and keep them, they law does not say what they have to do with excess funds, so your not getting a lower fee or your money back but a lot of that money disapears.

Fact 3 Palm Beach County commissioners are in PRISON.

I have decide to cut my loss and be gone from this crime ridden dishonest place from hell and move to TN, I might suggest you think twice before you buy real estate here.
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY 100% WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO CONDO AND HOA FEES. I AM A LICENSED CAM.

Every penny had to be accounted for, each year an audit is done by an Accountant, the financials are reported on EACH and EVERY month at the Board of Directors Meetings.

Monies in Reserve Accounts CAN NOT be used for items they were not intended for; unless the Members approve the expenditure. Example: Residents of a building who wish to update their lobby have to vote on how to fund it, they can pay for it by special assessment; or they can vote to borrow it from a Reserve. During an Audit, if there was such an expenditure we had to show to the Auditors that there was a vote; that included the notices, the ballots and the result of the vote.

Furthermore; the State regulates how much an association can increase their annual assessments.

Preparing an annual budget is a very involved proceedure. Each Aug.; we would contact anyone we did not have a contract price with; ie utilitiy companies, insurance companies and ask if they anticipated an increase in the next 12 months. We would also negotiate any new contracts for services that were due to expire.

A finanicial report was provided based on REAL EXPENDITURES from January to August, from that we could do a projected cost of the expenitures through the end of the year.

In addition we would have to report on the remaining life of big ticket items such as roofs, parking lots etc. - and get an updated replacement cost to determine if the Reserve accounts were at the proper levels.

When all the information was compiled a complete budget would be mailed to EVERY OWNER and it could not exceed the state limits. Those owners than vote and approve that budget.

THERE IS NOTHING HIDDEN; AND YOU SUGGESTING IN A PUBLIC FORUM THAT ASSOCIATIONS ARE STEALING IS 100% WRONG, AND YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE EVEN SUGGESTING IT.

It is hard to believe ANYTHING IN YOUR POST, based on the your statements concerning Associations.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,509,032 times
Warning here.....

gregm.....name calling is against the TOS. Please refrain from it. Folks can state their opinions, etc without being disrespectful.

Jim.....I would tread lightly here. While you are also entitled to your opinions..people here earn respect by helping others and posting factual, helpful posts. TriMT7 has thousands of posts and has been quite helpful here. A person with only 3 posts should be a bit less controversial.
I'm sorry for your bad experiences in Florida. It is good to share your story to help others, but we want to make sure we post balanced, fact based posts.

Thanks, Frank (Mod)

Old 12-28-2009, 01:16 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,387,322 times
What's wrong with being a real estate agent

Anyways...

Yes, the millage rate increased, but as Tri mentioned if you paid 480 for your place, you were probably paying over 9000 in taxes a couple years ago. Now you are paying less than 4500. Why are you complaining the millage rate went up??

6500 for insurance doesn't make any sense at all.

If you did indeed live in all of your properties you properly refinanced them to move into a larger property, with the hopes of flipping the smaller properties at a later date to make a large profit. Market crashed and now you're (or more than likely the bank) out of a lot of money. Sorry to hear that, but bashing an area on a relocation forum because your plans didn't go well is just pretty bad taste. You point out negatives, but why did you move here? You don't think there's some form of crime and tax increases everywhere else in the U.S.??

To retired, a bazooka to get the mail? Seriously? If you are hanging out on the rough area of Tamarind chances are you aren't on a relocation forum looking for advice on where to live. The Cityplace area and surrounding areas to the South have some great neighborhoods. When was the last time you were actually there?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM

92 posts, read 308,763 times
I am a WPB native and I rented a townhome off Village Blvd in a complex that is now a condo association. The area around "The Villages" is very pretty and the location is so convenient. The only downside was people who rented in our complex were rough. Our complex had a country club look and was well maintained but our neighbors were mostly party-hard guys. They would come home drunk and blast music and 3 a.m. almost every night. Not very many clean-cut professional people or families. It was a lot of party-people and single men. Management felt bad but wouldn't evict them because they said most of the people interested in renting there were loud partyers so for them to evict and then re-rent it to the same type of person was a waste of time. Instead, they let us out of our lease early so we could buy somewhere quieter. Maybe the noise factor has improved since many of the rental complexes went condo during the boom?

Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 PM

21 posts, read 56,087 times
Default West Palm Beach

OK, I went a lil overboard with the bazooka comment. Sorry - However, regarding taxes and insurance..I still have a house in the Acreage that I am renting until things get better in the market. It is 2800 ft on 1 1/3. I still paid $5200 in taxes this year, even though my taxable value has dropped $185k in 2 years. Out there in addition to taxes, we have trash service costs, Indian trail Improvement District, Fire-Rescue and the School system we get assessed on. I am also paying $2500 for Citizens Ins, because my original company cancelled me when I asked for a renters policy (my company wasn't doing any new policies).

I am by no means an expert, but I was in the public safety field for over 30 years and have seen things from the 'other side'. What I really get a kick out of is the Gov't bodies are crying no money, then they spend hundreds of thousands on fluff. They need to hold off on that junk for a couple of years until things stabalize. A couple months ago, the PB Post had a story about Palm Beach Gardens laying off people and cutting services to make their budget. The next article is Palm Beach Gardens spending $400,000 for decorative bus enclosures. It is kind of like a divorcing couple. The one party wants to stay living in the manner in which they are accustomed.

Criminals are traveling outside of their neighborhoods to the more populated (aka affluent) areas to commit crimes. Remember, if you fish, you go where the fish are. When a major crime happens in an 'upscale' area and the TV crew interviews someone, they are always stunned and say "I can't believe this happened here, like they are some special class of people. Life is more than your a gated community, and alot of it is not pretty - fact of life. There are some truely nice places in Palm Beach County, but there are many more that are shall we say 'less than desireable'.

Anyone relocating anywhere - this site is a good resource for information on just about everything - weather, schools, population demographics, employment oportunites and so on.

I am done rambling......

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,387,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in TN View Post
OK, I went a lil overboard with the bazooka comment. Sorry - However, regarding taxes and insurance..I still have a house in the Acreage that I am renting until things get better in the market. It is 2800 ft on 1 1/3. I still paid $5200 in taxes this year, even though my taxable value has dropped $185k in 2 years. Out there in addition to taxes, we have trash service costs, Indian trail Improvement District, Fire-Rescue and the School system we get assessed on. I am also paying $2500 for Citizens Ins, because my original company cancelled me when I asked for a renters policy (my company wasn't doing any new policies).

I am by no means an expert, but I was in the public safety field for over 30 years and have seen things from the 'other side'. What I really get a kick out of is the Gov't bodies are crying no money, then they spend hundreds of thousands on fluff. They need to hold off on that junk for a couple of years until things stabalize. A couple months ago, the PB Post had a story about Palm Beach Gardens laying off people and cutting services to make their budget. The next article is Palm Beach Gardens spending $400,000 for decorative bus enclosures. It is kind of like a divorcing couple. The one party wants to stay living in the manner in which they are accustomed.

Criminals are traveling outside of their neighborhoods to the more populated (aka affluent) areas to commit crimes. Remember, if you fish, you go where the fish are. When a major crime happens in an 'upscale' area and the TV crew interviews someone, they are always stunned and say "I can't believe this happened here, like they are some special class of people. Life is more than your a gated community, and alot of it is not pretty - fact of life. There are some truely nice places in Palm Beach County, but there are many more that are shall we say 'less than desireable'.

Anyone relocating anywhere - this site is a good resource for information on just about everything - weather, schools, population demographics, employment oportunites and so on.

I am done rambling......
Hey, that sounds pretty much like every city in the U.S. Taxes are too high, crime is spreading, government is blowing money on useless items...
Thank you for being done rambling, I hope the grass is greener for you up in Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach