Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I just looked at the crime report and noticed the following from Oct 23 to Nov 6 2011:

High concentration of various crimes:
- Delray Beach east of I95.
- From Lake Worth all the way West to Greenacres.
- From Greenacres all the way North to Haverhill (West of PBI).
- Anywhere just North of PBI.
- Riviera Beach (lots of registered sex offenders) except Singer Island.
- I95 & Northlake area, and Lakepark (?).
- Florida Atlantic University (My comment: I can't believe it !).

Am I wrong ? Please comment, thank you !
There was a double drug related shooting around FAU the other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
High concentration of various crimes:
- Delray Beach east of I95.
Certain areas of East Delray Beach, yes. But east of Swinton is generally considered good, as are the Lake Ida areas and historic Delray neighborhoods, which are also east of 95.

Quote:
- From Lake Worth all the way West to Greenacres.
That area is very spotty.

Quote:
- From Greenacres all the way North to Haverhill (West of PBI).
- Anywhere just North of PBI.
I am not entirely familiar with this general area, and don't particularly like going there because a lot of it is run down and old... and not in a charming way!

Quote:
- Riviera Beach (lots of registered sex offenders) except Singer Island.
Wouldn't recommend most anywhere in Riviera, except Singer Island... or maybe waaay out west, west of Military Trail.

Quote:
- I95 & Northlake area, and Lakepark (?).
West of 95 at Northlake is generally good. North of Northlake is generally good.

Quote:
- Florida Atlantic University (My comment: I can't believe it !).
I think you will find lots of crime near universities in general. Lots of opportunities for thefts on and off campus, assaults and fights between students, bars catering to students, etc.

I would maintain, however, that if you keep yourself out of that college age element and mentality, it probably will not be a problem for you.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 AM

584 posts, read 1,687,684 times
Hi Polo89 & TriMT7,

Thanks for the inputs.

I also like the way TriMT7 fine tuned the areas I listed. When I was checking out the Crime Reports within the specified days, I basically picked out areas that had lots of "tags", those tags were RS (registered sex offenders), T (thefts), A (assaults), P (property theft) and B (Break & Enter).

However, I did not fine tune the areas I picked out (high concentration of crimes) as TriMT7 did as I am not familiar with the areas.

It is relatively safer in Canada compared to South Florida in terms of crime rates. Windsor Ontario had no homocide (not even 1) in 2 years, that's 365x2 days as opposed to Detroit just across the river, Detroit relatively had one homocide almost everyday.

I also noticed there are lots of drugs going on in South Florida, any reason for that ?

Thanks !

Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Hi Polo89 & TriMT7,

Thanks for the inputs.

I also like the way TriMT7 fine tuned the areas I listed. When I was checking out the Crime Reports within the specified days, I basically picked out areas that had lots of "tags", those tags were RS (registered sex offenders), T (thefts), A (assaults), P (property theft) and B (Break & Enter).

However, I did not fine tune the areas I picked out (high concentration of crimes) as TriMT7 did as I am not familiar with the areas.

It is relatively safer in Canada compared to South Florida in terms of crime rates. Windsor Ontario had no homocide (not even 1) in 2 years, that's 365x2 days as opposed to Detroit just across the river, Detroit relatively had one homocide almost everyday.

I also noticed there are lots of drugs going on in South Florida, any reason for that ?

Thanks !
Definitely not Canada!

Re: Drugs and crime. Consider demographics, and South Florida being a major tourist and immigration destination, as well as a port of entry for tons of cargo and people every day!

The vast majority of murders are not random acts of violence. Acquaintance murder is far too prevelant, and often, gangs and thugs will shoot eachother.

It is important to remember that in South Florida had essentially halved in the past ten years.

Re: Crime in general between Canada and the US, I found this interesting from Wikipedia:

Historically, the violent crime rate in Canada is lower than that of the U.S. and this continues to be the case. For example, in 2000 the United States' rate for robberies was 65 percent higher, its rate for aggravated assault was more than double and its murder rate was triple that of Canada. However, the rate of some property crime types is lower in the U.S. than in Canada. For example, in 2006, the rates of vehicle theft were 22% higher in Canada than in the US.[14] Since violent crimes are a smaller fraction of all crimes, the difference between the two countries is less than the homicide rate might make it seem, and the overall rates are generally close (see Crime in the United States).[citation needed]

Furthermore, in recent years, the gap in violent crime rates between the United States and Canada has narrowed due to a precipitous drop in the violent crime rate in the U.S. For example, while the aggravated assault rate declined for most of 1990s in the U.S. and was 324 per 100,000 in 2000, the aggravated assault rate in Canada remained relatively steady throughout and was 143 per 100,000 in 2000. In other areas, the U.S. had a faster decline. For instance, whereas the murder rate in Canada declined by 36% between 1991 and 2004, the U.S. murder rate declined by 44%. [15] Both Saskatoon and Regina consistently have Violent Crime rates that would place them among the 10 most violent cities in the US, and often individually exceed larger US centres in terms of Total numbers for Aggravated Assaults and Robbery.

Crime in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM

584 posts, read 1,687,684 times
I saw a movie about drugs brought into Miami via boats and planes from South America, Columbia in particular. Is it very difficult for the authorities to wipe out the drug trade (import from Columbia) ? Is it because the long coast line that makes it impossible ?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTimelessXx View Post
No.

There's a Shell gas station up the street from that mobile home park. I used to live across the alley. One night, I was on my back porch sipping a beer enjoying the night when I heard a bottle bust in the alley. I look over my fence and someone is getting robbed. I grabbed a shovel and broke up the robbery. It was 5 kids against 1 other kid. I had to clean the kid up because he was cut pretty badly from getting hit in the head with the bottle, then I walked him home. He was younger than me, and that's pretty young, because I'm only 24 and was even younger then.

That's just one of my stories from when I lived there. There's alot of drugs, hookers, etc. I'll never move back to that part of West Palm Beach now that I've managed to do something more with my life. I have tons and tons of stories. Just when I think I've run out of memories, I stumble upon another memory that I almost forgot about. Like the time the man down the street from me blew himself up cooking meth.
He blew himself up cooking Meth? Interesting. I know trailer parks are typically home to Meth labs. Do you have more stories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach