Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM

132 posts, read 229,565 times

Advertisements

I need a contractor to renovate my 1973 kitchen in my condo that I just bought. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,911 times
You may have to have an approval from your HOA like I did first. Double check. I used Simon Sanchez and he did the tear out, put in the kitchen cabinets and his friend came in and put in stone counter tops. I also had him remove the popcorn on the ceiling and the painting. Mostly on time/honest/nice. His number is 954.345.7065

Old 10-24-2009, 06:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Try bid-a-builder.com.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 AM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
Before you pull out all the cabinets, see if the insides are worth saving...We recently refaced all our
cabinets in the kitchen had the guy build us two more cabinets (top and bottom) and a huge pantry.
We put all pull out drawers in the existing cabinets and new hardware...and took down that UGLY disgusting dome ceiling...What were they thinking when they put them in all the condos here? EEEWW.
they are just horrible....We put in new countertops too, looks like granite but isn't...all in all we love the
job. If you are interested I can send you the information.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeech View Post
I need a contractor to renovate my 1973 kitchen in my condo that I just bought. Any recommendations?
Yes, Premier Contractor's Inc. 561 756-5683. Certified General in FL for over 30 years. He is licensed and insured.

I have been a Property Manager for ten years and have used this company in my own home at least a dozen times as well as in Associations I have managed.

He will work with you to make a beautiful kitchen in what ever price range you have.

As far as your Condo Association, because the remodel is in the inside of your unit, but check with the Management office and your documents. The Association should not be involved with the exception of insuring that work is done during their pre-determined hours. Normally no work evenings after 5, mornings before 8. If materials are being carried in the elevators they will want elevator pads put in place to protect the elevator and boards placed on the floor.

If you are installing tile, they will want proof that it is being installed over cork, do to sound transmitting to the unit below you.

Some areas such as Palm Beach will not allow construction during season.

What ever you do, make sure you are getting an all inclusive written contract. If you don't write everything down, you may have unexpected costs in the form of add ons or change orders.

Specify everything, including how many coats of paint, you may want to also include the name of the paint; ie Benjamin Moore - Valspar (Valspar has a low VOC and you do not have strong odors with it.

Beware of using someone who only has an Occupational License, is a Handy Man or is working off the back of a truck. They can no by law do certain things.

Another thing that is occurring now that you have to be very careful of, is low ball offers. In this economy the guy gives you a low bid so he gets the job. Takes your deposit, starts the job and disappears. You are left with an unfinished job and not enough money to finish. And if he is unlicensed good luck with getting any satisfaction.

Dealing with Electrical and Plumbing it is a MUST that a permit is pulled. You have a flood, that does damage to your neighbor below, the two insurance companies are going to fight it out. But if you used an unlicensed contractor to do the job, you may end up in small claims court as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:42 PM

132 posts, read 229,565 times
I can't find this company on this site:

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp?mode=0&SID=

Are you sure that is the right name? I'm impressed if he has that much experience.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 PM

[quote=Zeech;11668092]I can't find this company on this site:

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp?mode=0&SID=

"Are you sure that is the right name? I'm impressed if he has that much experience"

Yes he has been around for a long time, built over a thousand homes, but has concentrated
on remodeling in the past ten years. Being a Certified General, he can and will take on any work,
tear downs, remodels, window and door replacements

Sorry you were not able to locate them, but this is the link from the FL. Licensing site.

Certified General Contractor
PREMIER CONTRACTORS INC
CGCA11585
Cert General
Current, Active
08/31/2010
License Location Address*:
10885 GRAND BLVD WEST PALM BEACH, FL 33412

Last edited by Reedsmit; 11-18-2009 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: incorrect

Old 03-09-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,850 times
This discussion about condo kitchen is very helpful. We just purchased a condo in Boca Teeca, 1986 vintage, and want to redo the kitchen (ugly domed ceiling and all!) and we are new to the area. Have read everything on the topic thus far. I could not find Simon Sanchez on the myfloridalicense site but don't know the exact building trade category and whether he is certified, registered, or neither. I would not have thought it mattered but appreciate the heads up about why it might--need to pull permits, need insurance to cover us if there is a problem and we damage downstairs neighbor, etc.

What other words of wisdom? Tankless hot water? Hardwood vs. ceramic tile (that is already there)? Is there sufficient humidity in the area for that to inform choice? We are inclined to tear out kitchen/dining divider and pass-through window and expand kitchen into living area--and lose the "dining room," replacing current formal living room furniture and current den (ell) furniture with something liveable as a "great room." Will this reduce resale value?

And what to do with beautiful, expensive, more formal furnishings that are impeccably kept, never really lived on, but do not meet our needs? I see consignment stores in the area--is that the way to go? Or sell on craigslist?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 13,801 times
Delray Patty Who did you use, I am interested in doing a reface in my kitchen.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Your HOA does not have the right to dictate the interior remodel of the home, with the exception of it it should change windows or break or the envelope or change the exterior of the home. Windows, doors, garage doors, skylights, solar tubes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach