Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:29 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,277,958 times

Advertisements

OMG TRI that is so funny...I agree with ya....ROFL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 01:04 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,969,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I prefer un-gated. I like older neighborhoods or "new urbanism".... both of which eschew gates.

Though if I was super wealthy I think it would be cool to have a house with big gate with my initials on it, flanked by columns with something tacky, like big eagles or a lion, lol.
Have you seen the el grande hacienda on the corner of Mars and A1A in Juno ?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,789,628 times
Trim I needed a good laugh that is so funny. If the HOA allowed them to they probably would, nothing like a little bling in Boca. Most it seems don't like to blend in.
Sky I am glad you are getting out of that place too. Scary. Hopefully better is ahead.
I know that in a manned gated place in a very well off area they had break ins. They were thinking it was maybe workers or someone who lived there I guess. So you never know. It is sad that it has come to this and more sad about all the people loosing their lives. The news is so scary and sad

Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,152 times
Since most theft is community related (more likely to be your neighbors kid than otherwise), gates don't mean anything.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 AM

11 posts, read 22,825 times
I currently live in a gated community because I liked the house, but to me it does not matter. I run the neighborhood streets through the PBSO booking blotter to see if there were any arrests. Of course two houses down the 22 y/o has been arrested about five times in the last two months for carrying a concealed weapon, burglary, prowling, on and on. Also when we first moved in someone down the street was on the FDLE Sexual Offender list.

Interesting though, they charge $100 to do background screening before you move in. But I guess anyone who lives here can invite whomever they want to move in. So much for gated communities.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,725,160 times
A lot of gated communities that had guards have dropped them and installed number pads or card swipes. As the economy continues to decline through 1010-2012 before any meaningful change HOA's will be looking for ways to lower costs or they will have to raise the HOA fees to pay for the security.

There are pro's and cons on both. Myself I have chosen to live in a low crime area with no gates and good neighbors who look out for each other.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM

475 posts, read 1,491,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
If one is in what is supposed to be a pretty safe area though who knows anymore what are thoughts on gated or not especially around condos and apts. It seems FL is very popular for gated but I am curious on others views.
Even banks get robbed. Security guards and cameras are a deterrent nothing more.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:21 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,789,628 times
These are all good and valid points. I do wonder why FL seems to have so many gated and most other states I have lived or been to have very few.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:18 AM

15 posts, read 56,778 times
I have also been looking at properties in Renaissance. Since you are a real estate agent and are buying there you are probably comfortable with the community. I have been reading alot of negatives on this community what with all the foreclosures and empty units affecting the HOA.
On the positive side the community is in a great location, is a beautiful property, and the prices are too good to be true. What is your take on the near future (2-3 years out) for this property ?

Old 11-14-2009, 08:24 AM

15 posts, read 56,778 times
I have lived in S. Florida for 22 years. For 2 of those years I lived in gated community and had 3
incidents of property being stolen off my patio and my car broken into. The other 20 years in non-gated no problem. All homes were in simialr areas. Go figure.
The reason you see more gated communities in Florida is that most of the land was recently developed (in the last 25 years) so the gated communties could be planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach