Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 23,153 times

Advertisements

Is it legal here? I have been a home owner for 30 years, but had to short sell my home of 12 years due to my job loss. We are renting now and our lease expires at the end of December, and last week the owner listed it for sale (short sale). I am not used to renting, it is very weird but my credit is damaged with the short sale, unemployment and all. Well, now since the house is for sale we have to move again and I do not want to get into the same situation next year.

We have a great payment history with our current landlord and can pay up to 2800. for monthly rent. We have kept the place immaculate and even did some minor improvements. We are in a nice development in western West Palm now, but am leaning toward going out to Wellington for more yard space and with owners who have mortgage balances closer to the value of the property, not these 600-800 mortgages on newer homes that are now worth 350-450 and are short selling and defaulting left and right.

We have a few dogs and a few parrots. The problem is the houses with yard space are either too expensive or if they are affordable they need work, bad carpet, painting, broken cabinets, etc. We are willing to do some work if the rent is reasonable, if we won't have to move in a year and even possibly even purchase the place when we recover financially. The acreage is not for me, though we did buy and live there years ago. We are working with a realtor, but this whole renting situation has left me feeling very insecure. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 05:43 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I am confused but could you not just renew the lease? Most LL if have a good tenant would be happy with that and would not increase rent. The issue with increase of rent I think is more in terms of apartment complexes. It seems like for 2800 you could get something nice though the credit and animal issue may be a problem. May be if you put a bigger deposit. I have seen adds for a longer lease but never 3 years. A complex I went to said if I wanted to sign a 2 year lease but could break it after 15 months to keep the rate I could.So I don't think it is illegal. Have you also been looking on realtor.com?Palm Beach post online has some listings too.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 AM

Thank you for your reply. Though my current landlord is begging me to stay and there is no increase in the rent I do not want to live in a situation where the property is for sale. I can't stand having strangers walk through my house, then there is the animal issue. I would have to load up the animals and leave the house whenever they wanted to show it. Also, I do not want to live in a situation where I may have to move due to the property being sold. I know it will take a while to complete a sale and there probably won't be a huge parade of buyers, but I just do not want to live like this. It just boils down to a commitment (as much as anyone can make in these times) to longer than a year. As life long home owners I would be a benefit to any landlord. I know how to and would clean up, maintain or even improve their property. But in return I would like some form of commitment that I could remain in the property for more than a year or two. Maybe I am just being naive, and I guess I must realize I am a renter and someone else controls my housing situation.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Hi. The place I was renting was also for sale. Anyhow the realtor wanted to keep the lock box on but I did not feel comfortable so I asked her to take it off which she never did. She said the next person who rents she is going to write it in the lease. I understand I guess is what I am saying. I would of let them come anytime but want to know to not leave certain items around cause you never know. I am not sure though if LL would commit to that because it is such a hard market to sell so they may not want to loose there chance. Many though just look to rent but again they could change their mind. Have you thought of renting a townhome that is through a management company? I saw a few nice ones that did allow pets.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 AM

DaniellaG thank you for your reply. I would not be comfortable in a townhouse due to parrot noise and no substantial yard for for the puppers. It makes sense though, to go through a management company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach