Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 AM

155 posts, read 507,080 times

Advertisements

Since, I am going to hopefully be buying a place in the very near future. Does anyone know...when you get a house/condo inspected...is there a way to tell if it's Chinese Drywall? Is there some test an inspector can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 AM

475 posts, read 1,497,930 times
Actually yes, normally smell is a dead give away - smells like rotten eggs. However if it has been incapsilated the odor will be sealed in. But look for other signs such as corrossion. The chinese drywall caused corrosion, a/c coils, copper items, jewelery, electrical wiring.

You can also do a bore test, inserting a bore style camera through a small hole and looking behind the drywall. Chinese drywall is stamped with the word China.

If you would like I can put you in touch with a General Contractor who has done this type of inspection as well as some of the clean up and remediation afterward.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrrt View Post
Since, I am going to hopefully be buying a place in the very near future. Does anyone know...when you get a house/condo inspected...is there a way to tell if it's Chinese Drywall? Is there some test an inspector can do?
There's websites out there with plenty of info on CD. I have a 30 page booklet on it if you (or anyone else for that matter) would like PM me and I can email you.

I spoke to an agent in my office who has CD in her house. There are different strands of it, and her strand apparently doesn't cause the corrosion (or at least not as bad). She actually still lives in the home but does show the other symptoms problems, nose bleeds, the dogs always sick.

While I would definitely say it's a concern,
1. Most complexes/communities that have CD have been red flagged and unless you're doing it as an investment, most realtors should keep you away from them. By that I mean some investors are gutting these units out at a deep discount and returning them to new. It should also be disclosed by the owner.
2. As Reed mentioned most cases carry a distinct odor and discolor/corrode most metals. The drywall gives off a sulfurous odor like rotten eggs. This is very noticeable when it is very hot/humid.
3. It can be inspected.

While it's not impossible, It would be tough to get past all three of these

Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyd79 View Post
i haven't been on here in a long time, but i am super excited so i thought i would share the good news with anyone that might remember me! lol!

i was in west palm the week before last, and we finally got to look at condos/apartments and we have decided on two... we can't decide sooo can any of you put in some input? (lol, put in some input... that just sounded funny to me. ha). anyway, we really like the whitney and also like the prado... leaning more towards the whitney for two reasons... the unit we saw at the prado had a VERY small living room area. the whitney was pretty decent AND has a rooftop pool. we really liked both places but so far the whitney is our choice... what do you guys think? are either of these places good, bad, decent choices?
How exciting for you, I remember when we moved here two and a half years ago, I had never even made a trip to check it out. lol didn't matter we love it so much.

Congrats and I am assuming you have a new job as well, you are very lucky to have found a job in this recession.

Enjoy Florida living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach