Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,991 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to SE Florida from NYC...I've been to South Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Boca and Delray before and liked all of them. I've read a lot of the the forums on here about relocating and they gave some great input. I have a few more area-specific questions that I'm hoping to get help with...

A little about me: Female, Mid-Twenties, live in a studio apartment in Manhattan right now and love the nightlife but also am really ready for something laid back. Would like to be walking distance to some fun bars and a decent distance to the beach (possibly even running/walking distance).

1. Anyone have any input on the high rises near/in city place and clematis in West Palm Beach...which are good/bad, personal experiences, etc... (South Tower and City Palms looked cool).

2. What is a ballpark amount for utilities (gas, electric, cable)? Does it differ during the summer by a lot due to air conditioning?

3. Safety...how safe is West Palm Beach and surrounding areas? Any areas to avoid?

Any input would be helpful and if you can suggest other areas to move to I would be open to your opinion - Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,298,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMC6

1. Anyone have any input on the high rises near/in city place and clematis in West Palm Beach...which are good/bad, personal experiences, etc... (South Tower and City Palms looked cool).

2. What is a ballpark amount for utilities (gas, electric, cable)? Does it differ during the summer by a lot due to air conditioning?

3. Safety...how safe is West Palm Beach and surrounding areas? Any areas to avoid?

Any input would be helpful and if you can suggest other areas to move to I would be open to your opinion - Thanks!

I lived at the Metropolitan in Cityplace for a year. Loved it. Very nice building. Water was included in the rent. Electric was on average less than $100/month. Underground secure parking, walking distance to Public, etc.

Both CityPalms and South Tower are nice as well, though a bit empty right now. Two City Plaza is gorgeous. Probably the nicest downtown right now. Other good buildings include the Strand (for its location), Cityplace residences, Gardens at Cityplace, the Prado, and One City Plaza. Avoid the Whitney until they complete the Chinese drywall overhaul.

The areas to avoid in West Palm are basically North of Banyan Blvd, and Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. It IS a downtown urban environment, however, so as long as you know it's not gonna be the sterility of Boca or Jupiter, you'll be fine. There's still just enough grit to keep it interesting, though I never felt unsafe, and neither did/do my single female friends who lived in Cityplace or downtown. Thousands of new residents have moved downtown in the past few years, seeking an accessibly urban-like environment. It's exciting to watch the area transform and get better.

Overall, crime in downtown has been going down exponentially over the past few years.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:34 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,794,401 times
Wow 100 dollars. For me it was more for a 2 bedroom. The summer is more expensive for sure. There is no gas bill where I am. Heat and air is part of electric. Some places include water and trash but many do not. That could be like 50 dollars. Cable depends but for basic I think 60. I am in Boca but have a friend who moved to West Palm and has similar interests and really likes it. Where ever you choose make sure to drive around the area a little. What I found is with a very short distance it can go from safe to unsafe.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:48 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,381,413 times
I enjoyed living in West Palm and so did my girlfriend (we're in our late 20's, well I only have a week left of my 20's ) We've thought about moving back there. Just stay away from the areas North of Banyan. For what your paying in Manhattan you can probably get a nice 1/1 or even a 2/2.
Most of the complexes are nice and you shouldn't have issues with them. South Tower was foreclosed on so I'm not sure what the situation is with that. We lived in the Edge and really didn't like the fact we had to cross Tamarind to get to Cityplace, we had a few other issues that I won't get into.
All of them have nice pools, most have gyms, and secured garage parking.
There are some nice townhomes that are reasonable (12-1500) by the convention center that are occasionally for rent if you decide you want a little more room.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM

623 posts, read 1,297,377 times
Where is the 'area' in WEst palm exactly which is considered 'downtown'? If any one has a map or streets, it'd be great (of that area specific). THNX

Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,381,413 times
pretty much banyan to okeechobee, west to tamarind east to flagler

Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM

238 posts, read 573,168 times
Sounds like downtown West Palm Beach is coming along much better then downtown Fort Lauderdale is, these days...is that true? It's the impression i am getting from reading some of the ft lauderdale threads....And is it a real fun area to hang out in?

Also, would you say that other areas of West Palm Beach are mostly safe to live in, shop, etc....as compared to the communities surrounding Ft Lauderdale?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,695 times
Lisa - Thanks for your post. Funny, I'm in the exact same position. Mid twenties (male) relocating from Manhattan to West Palm for work.

Just building off the original post:

- Are there many young professionals in West Palm? Singles? Etc?
- Differences between living in downtown WPB versus Delray?

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 PM

70 posts, read 221,429 times
My impression (been in WBP for nine months, long history with South Florida): You are more likely to find more single professionals and college students closer to downtown WPB than Delray. Delray is a really cool place but smaller than WPB. And WPB has at least as much if not more going on right now in terms of nightlife as Delray. Recently WPB has been undergoing more downtown development and that will probably attract even more activity in the near future. However, I like Delray, downtown Lake Worth and historic WPB about equally so really, you can't go wrong with those. You might just find yourself driving (15 minutes) to WPB every now and then

As for utility costs, I ran my heat intermittantly for just three weeks this winter, and we are already warming up. So that offsets the a/c costs. I moved from Alaska where I was spending $500 for heating fuel every eight weeks, so I am quite pleased with my electricity bill even though it goes up in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach