Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:46 PM

9 posts, read 41,212 times

Advertisements

Thank you! It is very hard to relocate. Is Boca hit by the hurricanes? Is there anywhere else that has good schools and is Boca Raton-ish and is a good commute to downtown miami for work? Is it as humid as I hear????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 07:58 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju
Thank you! It is very hard to relocate. Is Boca hit by the hurricanes? Is there anywhere else that has good schools and is Boca Raton-ish and is a good commute to downtown miami for work? Is it as humid as I hear????
That area of Florida is packed with tourists and residents. You wanna commute from Boca Raton to Miami EVERYDAY? You should live close where you will work. Soon the snowbirds will come back and clog up the roads from October to April.

To check out schools, schoolmatters.com and narrow down your search from there.

Hurricanes can hit anywhere, including NYC!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:06 PM

22 posts, read 94,258 times
juju - The commute from Boca to Miami is quite far (roughly and hour or more). You might want to look in the Weston or Pembroke Pines areas in Broward County. There are also some decent pockets of homes in the Hollywood area but I would choose carefully if you look there.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:52 AM

423 posts, read 1,643,258 times
Boca - Miami downtown commute will be a nightmare (specially if you are working for someone ie. have to commute at peak hours). You can try Weston/Miramar but both are too far west so still require an hour for commute (each way). I would suggest Coral Gables or Coconut Grove in Miami.. Both have really nice houses with old town feeling. They are not your average FL towns... when you drive there you can smell the old money

Old 08-03-2006, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 41,212 times
Thanks rkumar3,mich2fla and iamcrzymom.......is weston and coral gables like boca raton? at this point my husband is going to have to commute to coral gables from wherever we live....we have to compromise something....i have to leave my family and friends.....it's funny, i hear so many bad things about florida, and then i meet such nice, helpful people like you all.....so at this point it seems that boca has the better schools? yea? does it have the bug and humidity problem too? and oh yea..where are all the alligators (sp?)

Old 08-03-2006, 10:02 AM

To me Weston, Gables and Boca have entirely different feeling. Weston is suburbs with planned sub-division, most of the residents are in mid 30s and 40s with kids... Boca is mixed, you have middle aged professionals, retirees who move from up north and college kids who go to FAU. I haven't really explored Gables much since it is in Miami but it is where you see 'Old money'... ie old unique homes with charcter, caffes, restaurants etc..

If I have to choose among the three, I would pick Boca since it is in the center of activities, closer to ocean, have nice schools, offer a variety of housing in all price ranges (from track homes to custom homes to homes on Intercoast waterways). Best of all if your husband switches jobs down the road, there are tons of employers in Boca.... obviously the biggest down side is the commute and the only way to over come that is beating the rush hous or working for home (at least part time)

Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 AM

Forgot to mention don't worry 2 much about bugs and allegators... As for as hurricanes are concerened they can hit anywhere on the East Coast (Key West to NY) but the general rule of thumb is: Closer to ocean = More hurricane damage chances. Also here is some more data that might help you in the decision:

Median price (The price point at which half the homes are asking more money and the other half asking less money) of a single family in:

Boca Raton = 560K*
Weston = 600K*
Coral Gables = 900K*

*based on the data from MLS listing on 8/3.
Disclosure: I am an active FL Realtor with access to MLS database.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,715 times
Default how will you move?

i'm in the SF Bay Area up north and looking to go to Orlando in the coming months. the cost of one-way truck rental is horrendous. how will you be moving?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:55 AM

6 posts, read 14,841 times
Boca is a money pit. You cant get a house without a homeowners association. If you wanna throw 400 bucks out every month for a complex that ususally doesnt do anything than go right ahead.

Im out of here, to a cheaper place where no HOA and less taxes.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
I love Boca, have been here for 15+ years. I like Delray's Atlantic Ave for the activities and shops but I wouldn't move there.

That is a haul to travel everyday so you might want to check Parkland (expensive but nice) or Margate which are a tad closer but not alot.

All these noted areas are diverse: whites, blacks, hispanic, latino, Jewish folk, Haitian etc. but not as much as Miami. I would not live in Miami. I'd pick Parkland, Boca, Wellington and Jupiter though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach