Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:07 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyd79 View Post
i know the job market is bad right now, but i didn't realize it was THIS bad. every job i find is only paying about $9-10/hour. WHAT? that's crazy to me. no way i can take that big of a pay cut and afford to move down there. i'm getting so very discouraged
My son who makes 12.00 an hour at the cable company informed me that all new hires now make 8.00 per hour, that is a huge pay cut for new employees.

Florida is paid in sunshine and smiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 12:46 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,041 times
My girlfriend and I have been down here about two years now and we both started off in the food service industry and doing odds and ends jobs to make ends meet. We did what we had to do to pay the bills because we dreaded the thought of spending another winter shoveling snow in Wisconsin.
Through networking and hard work she has 2 job interviews this week both paying double what she was making up North.(very proud of her)
My business is still nowhere near what it was there, but I expected that, and am dealing with by working twice as hard and still bartending once or twice a week to fill in the gaps.

If you really are determined to move here you will find a way to make it happen. Job markets are bad in most areas of the U.S. right now so don't expect to come down into a dream job. Season is ending so you may want to ride out the summer and save as much as possible.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
My son who makes 12.00 an hour at the cable company informed me that all new hires now make 8.00 per hour, that is a huge pay cut for new employees.

Florida is paid in sunshine and smiles.
I know a lot of people who aren't smiling here...lol. Sunshine doesn't pay the bills.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,497 times
Default Hang In There

I realize the market is bad, but hang in there. I know a little something about the job market in this area and its all about where you're networking and the research you're doing. Regards, John Haymore

Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM

85 posts, read 398,532 times
#1 reason why I moved out of state in 02: Most jobs do not pay well, if you can find one at all. Really, you can make about 20% more annually by looking elsewhere. Combine low wages with the overpriced housing and it equates to a disaster. I guess housing prices have now stabalized to wages though, but that's another topic.

On the positive side - Florida is a nice place to live, weather and all. I guess you have to make sacrifices for what you really want. Good luck to you and let us know how your job search goes!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM

522 posts, read 1,609,686 times
Florida leads the nation in foreclosures now - that should tell you something. Understand the economy is bad everywhere now (except parts of Texas and the DC area) but it is ESPECIALLY bad in Florida. Wages in general have always been low here and NOW they are lower. And competition is stiff even for low paying jobs. Most of them go to foreigners because employers know they will work for less pay and expect them to stay longer. Florida's beautiful and you can't beat the weather or the ocean. Other than that, I haven't found it has much to offer. I've been here 5 years and am moving back to the midwest. Not looking forward the the winters but everything has its price - no place is perfect. You just have to decide what your priorities are. If you decide moving to Florida is what you really want to do then you're going to have to think outside the box in terms of earning a living. Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:32 PM

522 posts, read 1,609,686 times
one more thing you need to consider? Do you have friends or family you can stay with when you first move here? Otherwise, do you have the money for a couple of months rent at monthly rental motel types of places (that's what I did when I came here) until you get a job? Otherwise you're going to be hard pressed to get anyone to rent you a place without a job. You've got to prove income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach