Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM

102 posts, read 389,566 times

Advertisements

It seems that it's near impossible these days to search the internet for a job. I question everything about craigslist, and even job placement companies I can't trust now. I found a job I was interested in, applied through the job placement companies website... now I've just received a text message that said "HI Haley, call me about the Administrative Assistant job you have applied for 8774024434. (txt STOP to canel)

Now you tell me, how legit does THAT sound????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM

623 posts, read 1,296,618 times
Default I too agree. I'm also having same problem.

Awful really s--- so much dishonesty.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 AM

i know, there is sooo much dishonesty and i don't really know what else to do. how else am i supposed to find a job down there if i live here and can't trust the internet to give me legitimate leads? ugh, this is starting to get very depressing. i feel like i'm NEVER going to be able to move

Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
The employment market remains rough.

I think we talked about this months ago, but have you given any more thought to possibly becoming a licensed property or auto insurance agent or something similar? Where you could work at an office and get a steady income (vs. the kind that go out try to sell in person)?

I think the demand and compensation for that line of work would be more than for just a general administrative assistant, for which there is often a glut of applicants, and hence, lower wages.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Just curious, what's a licensed property agent? Is that a Realtor/ Broker? Haven't heard the term Trim... Thanks

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
@ Sakirav --- It's supposed to read license property insurance agent. I think the license for entry level positions is called a 440. I have a friend who worked as an agent at an independent agency and was pulling in around 40k.

Other places that pay surprisingly well for those with experience include national retail chains (Assistant managers at Gap and Banana Republic can make 45 - 50k, with experience. General managers can make more).

Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,570,887 times
Forget about craigslist for job searching, it's full of spammers and rip-off artists. I would not count on landing a job here from outside the area unless you have a degree, background and experience in something that is in demand (and there isn't much here now).

Sorry not trying to discourage you, but you best focus on a long term strategy instead of placing it on your short list.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,790,679 times
Hi I am sorry for the struggle. I have not done this myself but have you looked online at bank jobs. Or a major hospital who needs clerical,airlines,hotel,etc? I am not sure what type of training you have but those were some thoughts I had and it should be legit if you go to the companies direct website.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Forget about craigslist for job searching, it's full of spammers and rip-off artists. I would not count on landing a job here from outside the area unless you have a degree, background and experience in something that is in demand (and there isn't much here now).

Sorry not trying to discourage you, but you best focus on a long term strategy instead of placing it on your short list.
i have a business degree and i'm working on my master's now. i also have an HR certification. and have 8+ years experience in office management... so it's not like i'm not qualified or anything lol! but like you said admin/clerical isn't really in demand right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Hi I am sorry for the struggle. I have not done this myself but have you looked online at bank jobs. Or a major hospital who needs clerical,airlines,hotel,etc? I am not sure what type of training you have but those were some thoughts I had and it should be legit if you go to the companies direct website.
i have thought about those things, but they just don't pay enough... at least not the jobs i've found so far. airlines definitely don't. i used to work for ATA and was going to work for American Airlines afterwards but they wanted to start me at $8/hour. UHHH YEAH RIGHT! lol!

i have a feeling i'm just going to have to hold off until i can get my back surgery and then move to fort lauderdale to be a yacht stewardess... that was my original plan but i'm getting tired of waiting on my back surgery and for the docs to figure out what they want to do with me so i was just going to move to west palm in the meantime... doesn't look like that is very likely!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks trim. Although, what does a Licensed property insurance agent do? Is this the person we buy our homeowners insurance from? Although ours has always been one that sells, auto, home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: