Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 AM

368 posts, read 928,970 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places but I'm trying to find out exactly what involves my preschooler "being tested" next year for the gifted program. He goes to a preschool in Boca and I was told twice that he should definitely "be tested" next year when he starts VPK. The director mentioned a psychologist and that you could pay for the testing yourself to the tune of $200-$300. I've read bits and pieces about Florida's program but I can't find any concrete steps to complete to get a child tested, how long the evaluation takes, what the psychologist is all about (and how not to hire a quack). Our 3-year-old is bright (aren't they all? ) and loves challenges so when he's bored, it's bad news for everyone within 50 miles of him! The director said he NEEDS to be challenged.

I have a funny feeling that his maturity is going to be at odds with his intellect since he gets EXTREMELY frustrated when he can't understand how to say a word he hears or if a piece doesn't fit into one of his lego/block towers just right, so he may not succeed at getting into such a program. I hope I don't get too vested in it but "gifted" does seem to be a word bandied about a lot here in Boca.

Another thing is that we live in Wellington so I imagine we're going to have to move to Boca if we want to take advantage of these programs (unless they have them in the public schools in Wellington too).

Any info about what I need to do when the time comes would be very helpful (or a website to go to that explains it clearly). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I would check with the Wellington Schools to see if they have gifted programs...2 of the schools here in Boca has them...Yes gifted seems to be the word here..However we found coming from West Boca when my daughter went to Watersedge the 1st thing the girls asked is "Are u in gifted"? she would reply no come home and ask mom why do all of them ask me if im in gifted? when She replied NO they were like "OH" In her school now in central boca our school doesnt have a gifted program and its a very nice change with normal kids...Our last development too the kids would ask when we moved there and we would go to the pool..The parents are however worse than the kids when it comes to that...AND most of them I know personally had an IN with the Psychologist and well u need the referal and for your child to take the test in order for them to be accepted..I also dont know at what age the gifted program starts...If its Kindergarten or 1st Grade...Del Prado Ive heard Excellent things about..They have a Gifted program now I was told the other day one of the moms thinks its better than Watersedge's program but I dont have Gifted children so I cant speak to it..

But the answer would be yes your child needs to be tested...

Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 PM

32 posts, read 110,708 times
Here's the official website. The School District of Palm Beach County - Department of Exceptional Student Education (http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/ESE/gifted.htm - broken link)
Whether it explains it clearly or not, I wouldn't commit to! But there is a link to their "Gifted Handbook" at the bottom of the page. I'm trying to figure this out for my 3rd grader coming from out of state AND from a parochial school (where there is no gifted qualification.)

The best description I found is actually on Del Prado Elementary's website. There's a link off to the right. I would guess that most schools in Palm Beach County with a gifted program follow similar guidelines - this is just the only place I found a descriptions & procedures outlined in plain English!

However, I do know that you would only be referred to the gifted school that your zoned school feeds to. So any registration in that program would originate at your zoned school. Sounds like you have another year - and your little guy will mature a lot in that time as well

Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 24,831 times
hi, came across your thread while doing some research myself for gifted testing..also found this free event on december 1st for gifted testing and helping to make sense of this information. i have heard from several people that Dr. Cherwony is a reputable psychologist and to go to her if you want the truth about where your child is at. Here is the link I came across with her event. my friends and i just rsvped. For anyone wanting to learn more about whether gifted testing is right for you and your child. Learn what you need to know as well as what you are entitled to know, separating truth from myth.
Time 7:15pm December 1st 2011, Olympic Heights High School; RSVP by FB or to [email="drheidic@gmail.com"]drheidic@gmail.com
Knowledge is power; pass this along to your friends

I tried to paste the link but cant seem to do it. so if you are on fb, search for Kindergarten Dilemma..it should come up.. i hope this helps, mel
sorry if this is a repeat..trying to post for jen but not sure if i am dong it right

Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks so much. I'll be going!!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 13,788 times
I am going too. thanks for reminding me to rsvp.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM

excellent talk last night! I really enjoyed it and it cleared up a lot for DH and I. A few scary parents but it was ok!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 18,410 times
Hello Razz, Melanie and Sharon,
I am looking to have my child tested for gifted based on recommendations from my daughter's teacher. Came across this site while trying to find information. So hard to find good and reliable information. I also want to find a doctor who can not be bribed because I hear the rumors. How do I find out more information about this event although wondering if I missed it. Was it just a one time deal? Perhaps I could call Dr. Cherwony to ask her more information. Anyone have her contact information? I should probably schedule the testing so that I can find out where my daughter is at. I am feeling very overwhelmed by this all. Any info from this event is also very appreciated. Thanks, Clare

Old 12-08-2011, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 18,410 times
Sharon, trying to send you a private messge but i dont know what i am doing..anyway, here's the number 561-699-4639. tell her i referred you. thanks, Clare

Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 AM

6 posts, read 24,831 times
Hi Clare, sorry you missed the event. It was on December 1st and I believe was a one time event. I went and it was really informative. Dr. Cherwony said you can call her and ask any follow up questions. She was so nice so I bet you can just call and talk to her. Feel free to ask any questions though. What she pretty much said was that the IQ is not reliable when you test at pre-k and that it is more important to look at the whole profile of a chid in order to decide where to place your child for school. She said that many children do need advanced placement especialy in kindergarten because they are above average and have been in academic preschools. But many children would do much better in a regular classroom or private school or some other program. I think that she helps you make this decision depending on your child. Hope this is helpful to you. Mel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach